In case you want to try the new Targa Florio track (567 turns = 72km = 40 minute laps), but don't have a GPL CD
, you can download the GPL 2004 demo and then add some other stuff ... took me about an hour.
What you will need
GPL 2004 demo: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239
(compared to GPL CD has only 1 track = Watkins Glen, but imporoved car graphics, sounds etc)
GEM2+ & Setup Manager & iGOR programs: http://gem.ebi-service.de
Optional - 1965 mod: http://fp.gplegends.plus.com/65modv2.htm
(recommended for GPL beginners, the 1965 1.5 litre cars are much easier to control than the original GPL 3 litre cars)
Optional -1965 mod update: http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3765
(you will need to join the SRMZ forum)
Targa Florio track: http://download.bcsims.com/Targa
Optional - choose from 500+ other tracks: http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?ir=Whatsnew
(and click on the Advanced button)
And then you:
1. Install GPL 2004 demo.
2. Plug in your wheel.
3. Start GPL 2004 demo, calibrate wheel, map throttle / brake etc, turn up graphics settings to full. Go to track and make sure you can drive. Hint: shift-R = reset. There are only 2 views in GPL, F10 toggles them. Don't worry yet about striped skies etc. ESC then RETURN gets you from track back into pits. See GPL troubleshooting / FAQ guide for any major problems: http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3714
4. GPL 2004 demo is missing the gpl\exports folder. You need to create this folder.
5. Install GEM2+ & Setup Manager & iGOR.
6. Run GEM+. Click on green GPL to make sure you can run GPL from inside GEM+. Exit GPL. Exit GEM+.
7. Install 1965 mod and 1965 mod update.
8. Run GEM+2, click on the Carsets button and make 1965 F1 (GPL65) an active carset. Use pull-down to select 1965 F1 (GPL65) and select car (e.g. Ferrari 1512) and start GPL. You will know if you have 65 mod working OK because the smaller engines rev to 10000+ rpm. You may want to make a new player (perhaps MyName_65),this makes it easier to organise GEM+ / setps etc. Exit GPL. Exit GEM+.
9. Install Targo Florio track
10. Start GEM+. Click "Season" button and add TARGA to 65SEASON.INI if necessary. Select Piccolo Madonie (Targa Florio). Start GPL. Drive ! It's a big track, took 2 minutes to load standard Targa on my PC (Dual Core E5200 + HD4850). Setup hint for 1965 mod - you will need lots of 2nd gear, so drop diff ratio by 2-3 clicks then raise only top gear for the long straight. Hint: shift-R = reset.
There are many useful utilities, e.g. GPLShift for H-shifter support, Pribluda for lap split times and tyre temps, GPL Resolution Hacker for strange screen sizes, Nigel's Rasterizers for updated rasterizers for modern graphics cards. Start here: http://wiki.grandprixlegends.info/index.php?title=GPL_Utilities_Guide
For setups and force feedback / core.ini settings etc search RSC or SRMZ GPL forums.