i need a new pc

Looking for a bargin, check out KiwiSimRacing Classifieds
maxlev

i need a new pc

Post by maxlev » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 am

My current game pc (Dell XPS M1730 laptop) has munted itself and need a new pc.

Whats the guts with win7 32bit 64bit?
32bit games run ok on 64bit?
Nvidia or ATI vid card?

OzGTRXU1

Re: i need a new pc

Post by OzGTRXU1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:37 am

I have windows7 64.. All of my games seem to work. Not everything else but they are getting drivers to fix that
I have a GTX275 but it is crap.. Not sure what the new ones are like but I'd go ATI
I'm sure a few will say don't go ATI lol..
Good luck..

jdrobbie

i need a new pc

Post by jdrobbie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 am

Ive also got win 7 64bit. I haven't had any issues with games or programs, everything I had previously (had xp pro 32bit) works fine!
I've got an ATI radeon card 5600 series and it works well for a lower price card. I think it was about $200ish and its a 512 card. I have found it struggle on Bad Company 2, Arma II and Flight Sim X but at full max graphics! They were still playable but it was the anti/aliasing the was screwing it.

Hope that helps in some way!
I dont think I will ever be too old to enjoy the smell and burn of methanol... _b

maxlev

Post by maxlev » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks

thinking of one of these
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p ... ATA3-HDD-A
minus the wifi card
possibly swap the vid card for
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p ... SL-DVI-D--

also need a monitor
lcd or led?
so many to choose from

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 pm

pretty much running that same setup here though with a 5870 driving a 30" monitor, plays pretty much everything that I've thrown at it without to much of an issue (Crysis still kills it)

Monitors, with that setup at least something with 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 res, poss even multiscreen (just bought 3 Acer 24" monitors to try out eyefinity), price range seems to dictate alot on monitors, I've always had Dell monitors so the departure to low end Acers should be interesting. Had the 30 now for probably 3 years or so, so my heads not to much in the monitor space

OS yea Win 7 64 is the way to go

With that build would look at switching out the PSU as well, never heard of 'Great Wall' PSU's but the price strikes me as a cheaper brand...Coolermaster/Corsair PSU around the 650W mark will leave you headroom for upgrades later and probably give you a better quality PSU to boot....you never regret buying quality only junk

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139233 ... p-PCs.html
they some good gaming pc and i brought my pc from them
but most of them are over $1000
Ryan Nolly Designs & Graphics ©
47s Rees Race Cars 2012

2LO

Post by 2LO » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm

RyanNZ wrote:http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139233 ... p-PCs.html
they some good gaming pc and i brought my pc from them
but most of them are over $1000
IMO Playtech are well over priced, I run a E4500 2.2ghz dual core, 4GB Ram, 5770 Flex ATI 1GB GFX card, 500w psu (radimax came with case) and a cruddy old GA900-VM or something Gigabyte motherboard and Ive had no troubles running any games that Ive got. I have COD4, BFBC2, COD MW2, Racedriver Grid, rFactor, TF2, Counterstrike Source, Unreal Tournament, COD 2, Doom 3 and Portal and I run COD4, rFactor, MW2, CSS, Unreal Tournament and COD 2 at max Graphics and other games run on mid to high and I get no trouble with FPS or anything. Mainly cruddy old Internet lag due to stuffed lines after the Christchurch Earthquake.

It proves you dont need a fancy rig to run up to date games, Although I wouldn't mind a CPU & MOBO upgrade.
:cflag: Tramac is for getting there, Dirt is for Racing
:cflag: Pitcrew 43c Streetstock
This Guy is SO Awesome

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 am

I got a kinda similar setup to 2lo, but I have a E8500 3.2ghz dual core but a 4670 Graphics card, so his GPU kills mine but my CPU kills his. Haven't found a game I can't run yet, in saying that it does have to be ran on Medium for most of the latest games.

At times games advance more then hardware, look at Crysis where even modern PCs still struggle to max it out.

METAL666

Post by METAL666 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32 am

there are some killer deals on trademe through companys. 1 place is even doing finace on some killer gaming machines. alot of good machines that will eat games for under a 1000 bucks. Best thing to do is look around alot then post up some more links to what you are looking at, so you can get some ppls thoughts. dont want to blow that hard earned cash on a lemon.

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 am

While the deals on TM might be good in alot of cases do try and buy from an established company, if anything goes wrong down the track or you have any issues that you need fixed then getting an RMA done via some random on TM may well be an issue
If you've not tried give Matt at VRC an email with a budget and what you want to use the machine for, he's normally pretty good on prices and has helped out alot of people in the various NZ Sim communities over the years (think I've bought just about all my parts from him over the past 2-3 years) Grab his email from - www.vrconcepts.co.nz

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:51 pm

+1 for what Jetboy has suggested, always good to get a warranty as PC Components do often break down etc and also +1 for VRC, whilst a lil more pricey have found to be a great service

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Jetboy wrote:While the deals on TM might be good in alot of cases do try and buy from an established company, if anything goes wrong down the track or you have any issues that you need fixed then getting an RMA done via some random on TM may well be an issue
If you've not tried give Matt at VRC an email with a budget and what you want to use the machine for, he's normally pretty good on prices and has helped out alot of people in the various NZ Sim communities over the years (think I've bought just about all my parts from him over the past 2-3 years) Grab his email from - http://www.vrconcepts.co.nz
Agree to this as well. I have purchased most of my parts through Mat. If you shop around you can get parts cheaper but he is a wealth of information and advice make up for it.