Call Of Duty: Black Ops

There’s a soldier in all of us
Harding Jr

Re: Call Of Duty: Black Ops

Post by Harding Jr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:12 am

ugmo wrote:
Harding Jr wrote:I got my copy at midnight with DK. After waiting until 12:02 in the line (cant believe it, I was waiting in a line in Gisborne and it wasn't at the bottle store) I inserted the install disk into my computer at 12:09 (thanks to some awesome driving by DK on the way home) and was starting up the game at 12:20ish. I got online and there was no one on!!!

Joined a game and waited and the next people that came in confirmed that I was the first person to get online in Black Ops because no other server had people in it! (6000 odd servers too). While we waited for enough people to join the game before it started there was this cool pre-match game. Where you can just roam around and kill each other, but everything is in Black and white. Cool little feature. Then the game started and I got the first kill online ;).

I must say I've got a bit of an aged graphics card. But this looks great! _b
Ofcourse someone in NZ was going to be the first in the world, we are the first Time Zone to receive the game. Still an accomplishment though. Harding I never took you for such a nerd ;p
Not necessarily, other titles online play has been held back several hours after launch so that the masses can all start playing at the same time (Or just so the moaning American's that have no life don't fall behind).

To be completely honest I wasn't even trying to be the first one. I just got home installed it and jumped straight online rather than tackling the campaign and yeah #1 so why not gloat a little. + It's not like I have much racing to do online over the next few years :larf: .
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Only tried online in test mode so far, very different to MOH, which I suck at too :D

Campaign is intense, stuck in Khe Sanh at the moment, a handle of guys vs waves of cong in trenches >_<

Gotta say the game is so well done, story, graphics, physics, best shooter I've ever played by far.
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Sulley wrote:Campaign is intense, stuck in Khe Sanh at the moment, a handle of guys vs waves of cong in trenches >_<
Is that the stage where there is an endless army of hundreds (not shitting you hundreds!) of asian's coming over the hill and jumping into the trenches keeping our men up the hill? I'm playing on the highest difficulty whatever it is and I cant get my men to advance forward at all. I explored the left flank right down to the trench and still my men where standing there doing nothing while I was slowly getting overdone by an army of ching chong. It's bloody awesome!!

DK left me a message on Steam about 10ish saying he has already finished the Campaign and told me what happens at the very end, I imagine a lot of people are gonna be liking that (even Bull).
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Yep that that the one, I'm on Regular difficulty level and your troops move to new positions as you advance and clear a trench for a bit, I've got as far at the first objective, the covered trench then I get overwhelmed, my troops dont flank well enough maybe...

Best success I had so far was going left two positions to covered machine gun nest, down to underground bunker, then back up and across to right hand bunker, back to centre, lob nades and hose with bfmg, then sprint to front trench, then I'm stuffed...

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Heard some chat on some servers that turning off steam in-game helps in the lag problem.

Will try it out soon and report back if it solves any off the issues :)

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:19 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:Heard some chat on some servers that turning off steam in-game helps in the lag problem.

Will try it out soon and report back if it solves any off the issues :)
Actually seems to run better doing this, or could be coincidence ;)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 pm

No fixes will help, have heard a few things mainly server based for net lag (gameservers.com have stuffed up on their server configs meaning the rate is 5000 instead of 25000) but the fps lag is definately Steam/Game orientated. I ended up playing last night on even the lowest settings possible and ran at 7 frames after about 5 mins of gameplay :ffs:
The fps lag gets progressively worse as for a few seconds when I first join a server it feels sweet... then bombs hard.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Solved first part of Khe Sanh mission, the secret is the barrells, doh...

Wow and it don't get any easier after that either :D

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm on that mission too. Kept on becoming a one man army and getting mega swamped then die.
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:07 am

Aaron wrote:No fixes will help, have heard a few things mainly server based for net lag (gameservers.com have stuffed up on their server configs meaning the rate is 5000 instead of 25000) but the fps lag is definately Steam/Game orientated. I ended up playing last night on even the lowest settings possible and ran at 7 frames after about 5 mins of gameplay :ffs:
The fps lag gets progressively worse as for a few seconds when I first join a server it feels sweet... then bombs hard.
Wait your actual frame rates are taking a hit? I cant say I've had any of that at all. I'm just getting small amounts of lag as I look at other players and their movement isn't 100% fluent. I only connect to Aussie servers atm. The only one's that I can hold a ping under 100 to.

I finished that mission last night Sulley, got the blimmin barrels! I had advanced my men all the way up there (found out diving to the first cover on the left dropped my men right down to the front if all the men where taken out). So I had no more cover left to go forward too then tried taking cover on the barrel and realised it was asking me to kick it. Once I got that I could clear the left hand side trench and they stopped coming into it and pushed the others back then done the other barrel on the right hand side. I didn't find climbing up the hill to hard on the other side. Just taking lots of cover and staying far left and picking them off across the hill.

I finished Campaign mode too. I was going to go to bed but it just got more and more intense, good story line and it comes all together in the end and makes sense. The end is awesome!

Also something to try guys that I found out while on the menu in Single palyer. While your sitting in the chair try and jump (tap spacebar). Your dude will break out of the chair and you can walk around. There's a computer in the room you can log-in to as well. I kept typing lots of stuff and got this cool little 2d game to pop up. I was a zombie killing machine from above! I'm sure there will be more goodies and stuff to. After finding this I done a google search and found something out about a Zork game? Whatever the hell that is.

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:54 am

Come to think about it I did have a few laggy problems in my very first game (nothing to serious). Insure that the "Sync Every Frame" is off unless you have a super computer. Just taking that off made a huge difference of at least 20frames.

Aaron - Does your game run smoothly in single player games? and does it also lag in Zombie killing mode?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Yeah mainly MP, there will be a patch coming soon to fix it. As well as my recent gfx card upgrade should hopefuly arrive tommorrow.

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Ill be on tonight for anyone around _b

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:48 pm

i'll try to make it.
As the friends list isnt' working in MP, add me to your friends list in Steam = Sasquatch420
Admire the fur

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Me and obscene will be on later tonight for some Co Op sas, you will have to be on KSR TS though so you know whats happening!

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Last night was fun having a battle around with Ob and Bull. Demolitions on that map was quite fun even if the defenders where camping the last target out.

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Has anyone found any improvements since installing the small update? Or more so, what has it fixed?

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Its a lot better, its still nowhere near as good as COD4 or BC2 though

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:57 pm

So lag is fixed?

And that crappy 'cannot connect to host' issue I've got on Zombies?

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:09 pm

No thats just your PC Failing

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Hows about we try and get 4-6 of us on tonight for some games? Zombies/Wager matches are both good fun.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:22 pm

This game is a resource hog particularly for cpu, have found upping AA and textures etc (too a point depending on whether your gfx card is powerful) has given me more consistent frames. I have textures on extra, trilinear and AA on x4.

also change these values to this in the .cfg or through console.

seta r_multiGpu "0"
seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Bull wrote:No thats just your PC Failing
No it's not. Look at the fourth in progress fix here.

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Aaron wrote:This game is a resource hog particularly for cpu, have found upping AA and textures etc (too a point depending on whether your gfx card is powerful) has given me more consistent frames. I have textures on extra, trilinear and AA on x4.

also change these values to this in the .cfg or through console.

seta r_multiGpu "0"
seta r_multithreaded_device "1"
They reckon the console/cfg changes don't work as the values are hardcoded or something like that. Apparently the game was shipped with Multi GPU on and Multi Core CPU Off, which is why its a hog CPU wise, the game is only using one CPU.

The latest patch mighta changed that though, I just know that was the problem a couple of days ago

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:09 pm

the values through the .cfg arnt hardcoded they change perfectly fine.