CoD4 scrimmage night

There’s a soldier in all of us
Sasquatch

Re: CoD4 scrimmage night

Post by Sasquatch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Maps will be rotated in and out on a weekly basis. This will ensure everyone gets to play their favourite maps, and most unpleasant ones :p

Most of the custom maps are large. I don't mean biggish, i mean LARGE. To download the complete map set that Boony and I (and some others) have tested, are in the upwards of 600megs combined. This is to much to ask everyone do on any given night and takes too long. So i was thinking we could just rotate 1 new custom map per week. That way each week's rotation will include a new map that nobody has played before along with their favorites. Also, this will mean players will only have to download a file about the same size as a new KSR racing track each week. The actual script files will automatically download into your COD4 directory on the first night only. This is only a minute or so. Some of the maps are conversions from MOH, CS, BF2 cloned maps, COD2. There is talk that the game designers will be releasing new maps but the rumour is, they are for XBOX and PS3 tards only.

I am hoping the above will breathe a little variety into the game, and continue to give the game a newish feel.

The game mode we are using for this week is standard. Basically, everything is on. If all goes well next week players will experience some subtle changes in the game style. I don't want to make big changes (ie: weapon accuracy and effectiveness, perks, lockdown of unlocks, no sprinting, or we could limit sniper rifle selection to bolt action rifles only with damage of 1 shot 1 kill, or headshot only kills, etc...) as i don't want to take away from COD4 what makes it so much fun now. Subtle changes will include no crosshairs, no jump-shoot option, and possibly death from falling/jumping out of a second story window or ledge. The rest will be untouched until further testing and consultation is done.
Admire the fur

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Arrghh....no sprinting! How the hell can I run away from any ensuing gun battles.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Brave Sir Robin :D

I do like the no UAV unless called in bit personally, nothing says oh sh-- quicker than running around the corner into 3 opponents.
YouTube videos

Boony

Post by Boony » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:02 pm

Growler wrote:Damn...my favourite maps (Farm yard? and one other aren't in the lineup.
How did you progress with using custom maps?
in short poorly. As Sas said some maps are big. average around 25mb but upto 50 on some.
We had a test with about 6 people all downloaded the same files i had on the server but only 3 got it run properly, 1 couldn't even start his game. I know the maps work as i have tested them.

With so many people playing it would take abit to get everyone sorted out and get the files in right folders. Easiest way is to set the server to redirect the download form another file server. That way it will put the files in the correct place. You also need to run a mod which part is based on the server and part on clients computer. At the moment I have stopped testing maps and just worked on play options and to get CTF to work properly.

Of course this only works if we are allowed to add a mod to the server and change the startup command.

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:17 pm

I have noticed over at the SCU base they have suggested they all hook up 20 mins before to discuss "tactics"!!
Do we need to do the same?

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:53 pm

I think so, but we all need to jump on TS for a start :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Growler wrote:I have noticed over at the SCU base they have suggested they all hook up 20 mins before to discuss "tactics"!!
:shhh:
Admire the fur

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Just be careful though.... :lurking:

Boony

Post by Boony » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Growler wrote:I have noticed over at the SCU base they have suggested they all hook up 20 mins before to discuss "tactics"!!
Yeah but what Sas doesn't know is we all mute him anyway ;)
Tactics is easy, shoot them :machinegun:, even if you think they may be on your team shoot. Easier to say sorry than sitting waiting to respawn (:

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Boony wrote:
Tactics is easy, shoot them :machinegun:, even if you think they may be on your team shoot. Easier to say sorry than sitting waiting to respawn (:
Don't you end up doing that anyway? As reflect fire is turned on :)
Boom Boom !

Boony

Post by Boony » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:22 pm

BAZZIL wrote:
Boony wrote:
Don't you end up doing that anyway? As reflect fire is turned on :)
Only when it is turned on, It's been off for the last two weeks. Just shoot anything that moves. This week it is set to shared. So more care will be needed. But its fun shooting Sas.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:22 pm

Last night i noticed Riven got the KSR server over to Domination. All should be go at 9pm tonight.

Good luck and steady aim everyone :sniper:
Admire the fur

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm probably going out for dinner tonight, should be home in time..

Growler

Post by Growler » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Bold wrote:I'm probably going out for dinner tonight, should be home in time..
You had better be...who else besides me id going to shoot Sasquatch, Mattly and Prom!

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Growler wrote:
You had better be...who else besides me id going to shoot Sasquatch, Mattly and Prom!
you wish :raspberry: ;)
Admire the fur

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Growler wrote:
haha ! Alas I'm stuck at work tonight doing Nightline and Sports Tonight >_< so my l33t bullet magnet skills will be sorely missed !
YouTube videos

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm

not at all Prom, I sub'd for you tonight :D

Great game to all those who showed. Numbers were a bit low on KSR this week. Wondering if Thursday nights are still doable for KSR? Next weekend is a holiday so it might be best to postpone next thursday nights scrimage to the following week.
Admire the fur

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:27 pm

I just got home.. :(

Thursdays still generally suit better than any other night. Should be back next week, haven't got any easter plans as of yet.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 am

Sasquatch wrote:not at all Prom, I sub'd for you tonight :D

Great game to all those who showed. Numbers were a bit low on KSR this week. Wondering if Thursday nights are still doable for KSR? Next weekend is a holiday so it might be best to postpone next thursday nights scrimage to the following week.
Ahaha !

I'd say it's just the usual surge of rush to play, then after a couple of weeks folks lose interest and drift away. Same thing happens for racing leagues. Everyone has short attention spans now.
YouTube videos

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 am

Prometheus wrote: I'd say it's just the usual surge of rush to play, then after a couple of weeks folks lose interest and drift away. Same thing happens for racing leagues. Everyone has short attention spans now.
I've noticed this especially with the racing league (and Mattly over at SCu with other games ;) ). There was this massive sign up for the BMW league where we had more drivers than slots. Now we have many slots available. Some have dropped due to legit reasons (not that they have to explain themselves) but others you don't see again until the next league starts up and same thing happens again.

It would seem many have A.D.D. This is probably why Boony and I (especially Boony) have spent over a hundered hours researching and testing new options for CoD4 to keep it feeling like a new game and improve on the fun factor. I'd like players to show simply for the "what's new tonight!" feeling like when CoD4 (or any new maps or changes come about) first came out.

With all the testing done we are confident the game is stable (as stable as CoD4 and KSR server is), playable, and high on the fun factor. We'll never be able to please every single person on every Thursday simply because the game mode, settings, and maps willl change each week. So the top score players will continue to be challenged to stay on top and less experience guys have an equal oportunity of learning new maps and settings with the more experience players at the same time.

The less experienced players will have access to all Perks/weapons to level the field. 'spray & pray' won't be as easy now. It will be more difficult to get spawn kills and will benificial for players to work in groupsto be more effective. Bunny hoping is still available, but hampers the bunny hoper rather than benifiting.

Phew, sorry for the wall of words. The next time we scrimage we'll be running the new format. Yes, the game mode will be Capture the Flag, but don't worry, we'll still be playing domination, HQ, etc as i still plan on running polls on what to play.
Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admire the fur

Boony

Post by Boony » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:24 am

Thing to note for next week, we will be running a mod. This will change the names of your custom slots back to default. I have noticed no other effects on stats or anything. But if you are worried I would make a new profile and use this. You also will have to add two files. Now this can be done by downloading it from the server, this is extremly slow 8k/bs but puts it in the right area with no fuss. On average this takes about 3 mins. So you would wan to log on early and get it downloaded.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:13 am

Boony wrote:Thing to note for next week, we will be running a mod. This will change the names of your custom slots back to default. I have noticed no other effects on stats or anything. But if you are worried I would make a new profile and use this. You also will have to add two files. Now this can be done by downloading it from the server, this is extremly slow 8k/bs but puts it in the right area with no fuss. On average this takes about 3 mins. So you would wan to log on early and get it downloaded.
Because next week is a long weekend (Easter) it was suggested that next Thursday night may not be such a good idea. I'll put up a poll to see what the numbers are.
Admire the fur

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:08 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:not at all Prom, I sub'd for you tonight :D

Ahaha !

I'd say it's just the usual surge of rush to play, then after a couple of weeks folks lose interest and drift away. Same thing happens for racing leagues. Everyone has short attention spans now.
I'll be back. We've shifted house 3 weeks ago and between that, extremely busy work lives plus a 2month old and a 4 year old, I've not had time for gaming of any kind. However, things are settling down again now and I'm ready for some killin'.
:sniper: :angel:
Don't make me destroy you.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Skuzzlebutt wrote: However, things are settling down again now and I'm ready for some killin'.
That reads as quite disturbing !
YouTube videos

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Well i'm keen for anything :)
We should just try to get as many turn up as possible and just do some mixed teams if numbers aren't even :)
Boom Boom !