CoD4 scrimmage night

There’s a soldier in all of us
Sasquatch

Re: CoD4 scrimmage night

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:17 am

I posted this over at SimCentral. Thought it prudent to post here as well....
To those on SC team speak server....my language and comments last night were inexcusable. The last two matches I have let my tongue fly along with my temper. I am seriously considering taking a break from Thursday nights as i am probably upsetting my clan members and ruining their game. For that i am sorry.

Just to clarify for everyone's piece of mind. Weapon damage/health/running speed/aim/ none have been tampered with or adjusted. The only time weapons are impeded is when you try to jump shoot. I've noticed this can sometimes have adverse effects when stepping down off a step or running over something that isn't exactly flat. The game thinks you are jumping and your weapon goes away momentarily.

During discussions with Boony I had thought the M203 aka Noob Tube had been disabled. However, upon reflection Boony is correct and I had insisted that it remain an option for those who wanted to use it. I felt at the time it would help those less experienced players get some kills. This backfired as the most experienced/seasoned players took up this option for some easy kills. I except this is all part of the game. However, the way i see it though is like online racing. You CAN weave all over the show and drive like an ass because the game allows you to, but you won't make any friends doing it and eventually, no one will want to race with you.

Through out the night I heard many complaints about the bullet damage and lack there of. If your target has the extra health perk, when your bullets hit him a little red cross appears over his head. If your target is under spawn protection then a large silver/white cross is above their head. Many SCu members (experienced and less experienced players) commented that their bullets were hitting the target but little or no damage was occurring without a cross above the targets head. While this may seem wah wah wah and can easily be blown off as Mattly would put it "harden the F up" or a cyber punk might say “Got aim n00b?” there are way too many members experiencing odd game behaviour of late. When Crazy Rabbit was doing well score wise for KSR then he came back over to SCu, I recall him cursing about how his bullets just were not causing enough damage or going through targets when there hits been shown, as apposed to what was happening against SCu player – ie killing them.

I am unsure that this odd game experience is due to the AWE4 mod or just due to some silly game logic within CoD4. I was running 30 ping or lower and I would empty an entire clip of ak47 at 15 feet into a target - see the hits - watch the blood hit my monitor - and the target would simply turn around and 1 shot kill me. Upon checking his ping and seeing he was high 70's to 80's. I watch kill cam and my rounds are hitting the target but doing little or nothing. This is with stopping power perk on and sometimes double tap. I even knifed a dude (saw blood splatter on my screen) and he didn't die...he just turned around and 1 shot bang - i'm dead. A knife hit is a 1 shot 1 kill anywhere on the target even if they have Juggernaut perk. There is no damage level on a knife except that it’s total. Once again i check the dudes ping and its triple of mine... My comments above are nothing new to SCu players experiencing the same thing. Last night I think almost every SCu player commented on something similar happening to them repeatedly through out the scrimmage.

During past scrimmages I heard the odd complaint from 1 or maybe 2 members that the above was happening but I put it down to ‘he just missed, or he is having a bad night’. But I cannot ignore the majority of SCu members commenting that they are experiencing exactly the same odd occurrences that I am on the KSR server. I point out, this is not happening on any other server other than the KSR server.

My ramblings above may look like a long winded way of pointing a finger saying “you haxor!” but it isn’t. For those who have met me and/or know me will understand my concerns about what is going on with the game.

When we started CoD4 scrimmaging on Thursday nights I requested that Punk Buster be switched off because, some members were unable to get PB to work. Since we are all on friendly terms and most of us know one another the decision was easy. As it turns out the few guys who had PB issues are not even playing anyways. Therefore, I don't think it would cause any grief to players if PB was turned back on. This is not me crying or waaaaaaaaaaaaahing because I and SCu got done over last night and last week, this is me listening to clan members over the last 2-3 weeks and from my own game experience, that having PB turned on would get rid of any doubt for those with doubt.

Now, congratulation to KSR is in order. They’re tactics proved decisive (as it usually does) and shut SCu down. Well done boys…
Admire the fur

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 am

I honestly don't believe anyone would be cheating.. But I have no problem with enabling PB.

I had several occasions where I would empty about 40 rounds from a light machine gun, near enough to point blank and not hit jack.. I just consider that the way COD4 works..

I had a crap ping last night, over 100 most of the time, but I doubt lag was the problem. My connection has been going to crap alot in the evenings lately.. Going to have to do something about it soon. I miss my wireless!

Spawn protection was fine for me :) Although I am not sure if grenades etc did turn it off.. I have a suspicion that they didnt. It was certainly less intrusive this week than last. Last week when using an LMG you had an extra second delay while you brought the weapon up before it would fire, which often meant death. This week with it ready to fire was good :)

We didn't have much in the way of tactics last night, other than a few people hanging back to defend while most just spread out and went for a cap. You cant win in ctf if you dont get the odd cap ;p

TBH I actually prefer a ranked server, as I'm still working my way up and enjoy the acheivments. There's only about 2 things I haven't unlocked so far that I would like, that being 3x frag and the P90, which shouldn't be too far away :)

johnny2combs

Post by johnny2combs » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Awesome night guys...

As a suggestion Sas.. At the Sim centre we have a dedi COD4 server running, & wot we have found is that having Hard core mode enabled is more devastating as it takes less rnds and weapons are close to realistic with damage, where as standard mode the weapons are less powerful and require more rnds to kill sum 1.

My thoughts anyway.
No matter how loudly you shout @ the monitor, The other players won't hear you.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Problem with the server not starting CTF last night was not anyones fault.

I found last night after you all went to that 'other' server, that its a known bug in the latest linux server binary.

It seems that you cannot load a non-standard gametype for the first map, it just defaults to DM (FFA).
The trick is to have someone with either direct console access, or RCON, to run 2 commands.

set g_gametype ctf
map mp_mapname

This will load the new gametype (only loads on next map) and then load a new map.

The week prior we never noticed this, cause the server rolled onto a new map before anyone had joined.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Awesome find Riven. That explains a lot _b Thanks again for your time and effort :surf:

Johny, yeah we've done a couple rounds on hardcore. Its not the game type or the players, i am leaning towards something isn't right with the game or AWE4 mod. I either got to figure it out or drop the AWE4 mod all together and go back to vanilla. That means, same maps, same settings, same outcome round after round after round. I'm hoping to sort out 5 new maps that players can download (in game) at normal download speeds that is only limited to the individual's bandwidth. I am going to call a vote sometime this weekend with choices and options for the future. I believe that players should choose what they want and not be dictated to by some tard, ie me ;)

For those who lurk but play, please post your 2 cents worth... I need to get a feel for what most want in this game. I'm pretty tough so rubbish me if you dare ;p and provide some feedback. Without comments and probably some abuse, I'll never know what most want out of this game.
Admire the fur

Boony

Post by Boony » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Riven wrote:Problem with the server not starting CTF last night was not anyones fault.

I found last night after you all went to that 'other' server, that its a known bug in the latest linux server binary.

It seems that you cannot load a non-standard gametype for the first map, it just defaults to DM (FFA).
The trick is to have someone with either direct console access, or RCON, to run 2 commands.

set g_gametype ctf
map mp_mapname

This will load the new gametype (only loads on next map) and then load a new map.

The week prior we never noticed this, cause the server rolled onto a new map before anyone had joined.
Sorry Riven I did know about this. I run a Windows server which has had this fixed, I forgot that KSR is a Linux server.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:57 pm

FYI ... Boony and I have just spent 3 hours trying to replicate problem... We plan to spend several more hours this weekend. He and I have noticed slightly weird stuff but really need more peeps to experiment with.... So if you are not fussed with being human target or shooting running targets that dont shoot back then pm your name to me or boony. Boony's server should be able to hold six peeps stable... We need volunteers guys :!:

I am also looking 5 new maps for next thursday. We'll be play HQ, DOM or TDM depending how testing goes. We require lots of opinions and criticisms with this... so, if want to waste an hour of your day to help further CoD4 variety and have a voice on what goes on, drop a pm to me or Boony..
Admire the fur

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 pm

I can't say I have noticed any of the issues you describe Sasquatch, I've played on all sorts of servers and I find the KSR one about the same as all of them as far as firing and hit detection goes, I am on Inspire wireless though, so it's possible it's connection related, but then it sounds odd how someone said they swapped sites and all of a sudden found their bullets missing.

If you guys want to try something different, a different server for example or anything else you can think of that might resolve the hit issues you appear to have, then I'm easy with whatever you guys want to do.

Re: the noob tube, I didn't notice anyone using one, but there was no announcement that noob tubes were not allowed, so If anyone started using them, I don't think you can blame them :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 am

So used to playing hardcore at work that usually find myself loading up with a P90 or the M4 both with double-tap at least....figure the more rounds out the end the more chance I have of actually doing some damage on standard mode, really takes a bit to get your head round that you have to empty half a clip per kill, we also have martydom and last-stand off so Spanky was getting in rather a few kills as I ran past a twitching corpse with a handgun....I also spam grens like mad so occasionally I come round a corner facing a well weakened opponent which may occasionally explain the 2 round burst dropping people on occasion

As for mention of cheating in these matches, thats just stupid.....turn PB back on if it makes people feel better, think part of the reason we had it off was so people with haxed games could play, if your enjoying the matches then you have enough reason to go and buy a copy...if people are going to mention cheating then best they either have definitive proof or shut the f#$k up. Over the past few weeks we've not played more than a week with the same server settings as Sas and co try to find the right balance to make everyone happy (with this lot thats damn near impossible) so would more likely put it down to people coming to grips with the new feel each week....perhaps this week the settings just felt better for the KSR guys, hence the 3-0 ripping (oh did I forget to mention that :p )

Interesting comments on the SC forums that they thought we were playing defensively...talking with Johnny today and we thought SCU were camping it up....though did notice that the people making the comments were the ones that we're constantly on the assault (and running into the guys on KSR that were doing the same....think it was just what peoples perception was of the tactics (apparantly we have some??.....thats most defiantely not like us)

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:55 am

nobody said anything about cheating Jetho, calm down :P
Boom Boom !

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:30 am

BAZZIL wrote:nobody said anything about cheating Jetho, calm down :P
On the SCU forum there was comment of it. No name calling or anything like that...just commented on due to frustration.

Boony

Post by Boony » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:18 am

Jetboy wrote:So used to playing hardcore at work that usually find myself loading up with a P90 or the M4 both with double-tap at least....figure the more rounds out the end the more chance I have of actually doing some damage on standard mode, really takes a bit to get your head round that you have to empty half a clip per kill, we also have martydom and last-stand off so Spanky was getting in rather a few kills as I ran past a twitching corpse with a handgun....I also spam grens like mad so occasionally I come round a corner facing a well weakened opponent which may occasionally explain the 2 round burst dropping people on occasion

As for mention of cheating in these matches, thats just stupid.....turn PB back on if it makes people feel better, think part of the reason we had it off was so people with haxed games could play, if your enjoying the matches then you have enough reason to go and buy a copy...if people are going to mention cheating then best they either have definitive proof or shut the f#$k up. Over the past few weeks we've not played more than a week with the same server settings as Sas and co try to find the right balance to make everyone happy (with this lot thats damn near impossible) so would more likely put it down to people coming to grips with the new feel each week....perhaps this week the settings just felt better for the KSR guys, hence the 3-0 ripping (oh did I forget to mention that :p )

Interesting comments on the SC forums that they thought we were playing defensively...talking with Johnny today and we thought SCU were camping it up....though did notice that the people making the comments were the ones that we're constantly on the assault (and running into the guys on KSR that were doing the same....think it was just what peoples perception was of the tactics (apparantly we have some??.....thats most defiantely not like us)
Yes I felt the brunt of a random lobed nade and thinking where did that come from :larf:
I think we both had the same tactics (which some think is camping) a few in defence and a few attacking which is what you have to do in these style games IMO. Unlike TDM where it's run around like a head less chook.

Boony

Post by Boony » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:21 am

Growler wrote:
BAZZIL wrote:nobody said anything about cheating Jetho, calm down :P
On the SCU forum there was comment of it. No name calling or anything like that...just commented on due to frustration.
Some of our members have raised that, But me and Sas have firmly told them that is not the case. Hence way me and Sas are doing some more testing on the Awe4 mod. We have tested to make sure it works but not the physics of it. If it becomes to much of a problem we will can it and go back to normal COD4.
I am also not sure if testing it on a windows server (My server) and then running it on a Linux one makes a different.

spanky_nz

Post by spanky_nz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:46 am

Good comments all...hmm I think I was just pissed at loosing on the night. However over all the matches I have played recently by and large both teams are fairly equal. Everyone is starting to learn the others combat style...and yes maybe the 'they are camping more than us thing' is pure perception. I did have fun once I found my groove...except it did suck enomously to get fragged by the bloody noob tube mid battle....hmmm. I know there was no rule outlawing it...but meeeh

Man its good you didnt hear the Scu teamspeak channels mid game...hehehe... 8o

Thanks again KSR, looking forward to the next one
SCu - the original

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Camping is what you do in war, and there's things like Flash bangs, stun grenades, frag grenades, and smoke grenades to sort that sorta thing out, so if you're not using those to get past the campers, that's yer own fault :P hehe.
Boom Boom !

KSR 199p
Cowshed Racing

Post by KSR 199p » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I know what issues sas is talking about, and like everyone ealse i cant explain it.
That night i found that half the time i had to stick 1/3 clip of Saw into just about anyone and other times i found 3 shots dropped them.

I also had a few times where i should have died and i didnt, I just turned around and killed them i think i did it to growler and bold a few times.

I went onto a nother server after for about 1 min and everything was back to normal (:
I have to clue whats going on but something is up, I run on inspire wireless and dont think its connection issues or people cheating,

The other week when i had a bye from stockcars, i found i could kill everyone including sas :larf:
Lots of people where complaining that there bullets where going through me, I know sas was in the 1st map,
He uses a clip of m4 from about 40mtr away and i realised i wasnt taking damage so i ran up and knifed him :D :D :D
I was kinda like the server wasnt regestring his hits on me 8o

On the camping, I dont think it should be frowned on, Expcially when you have something (flag) to protect, In the last map i sat up in a building from which i could see about 1/8 of the map and could see the flag ( i know people like jetboy come up and knifed me O_O. I know both teams where doing it, and its just what happens, it happens in every game and in every game style. I normally see my team m8s running a head and getting splatted and i find that if i hang back a little but i get a lot of kills.

I do thank you booney and sas and everyone who helps out to get these issues sorted. I would help but i work saterdays which can be fun when racing on saterday night :crazy:

Cheers guys i hope you can get everything running smoothley
ps i think it makes sence dose in my head anyway, had to type it out fast as we are off to wangavegas to watch stockcars.
*Winner of the 2007 New Zealand Stockcar GP*
1st NZNL Teams league (voda)
2nd NZNL League overall
Team member of the championship winning Cowshed Racing NZrFL v8 Season 2
KINGS Captain

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:03 am

What a bitch having to read and post in two forums :rolleyes:

Here is what i posted over at Simcentral.
Check your pm's guys

Only 2 volunteers stepped up for testing and 1 showed on the fly. Hmmmm oh well, three is better than none :)

update on what is happening so far. We have been testing two new maps that will play HQ and DOM.

1 map is massive as for CoD4 maps go. This map would be suited for 64 players but is do-able with 20 players aka our needs. This map has 3 - 7 story buildings with balconies, ledges, roof tops, with office cubicalls and destructible interiors, lots of doorways and hallways. Some building have elevator shafts...outside you will find alleyways, streets, destructible cars, barrels, trucks, and destructible gates and fences, fixed gun emplacements, bunders, tall grass to hide in, and two HUGE radio towers for sniping :twisted: . Each street is long and wide with areas to duck for cover. This map will undoubtedly change the speed off the game. It took almost 2 minutes for me to run from one end to the other. Not that will be necessary but when respawning you'll probably be looking at 15-20 seconds of running to get back into the action. While that doesn't seem like a lot it will probably feel like an eternity to some. This map will require players to be accurate when shooting from above or down streets and quick on the knife (Hotdog) when in buildings.

The 2nd map will be familiar to some who play a lot of fps in the past. During testing last night Boony, I, and Crazy Rabbit had a bit of fun. This map is totally the opposite of the last map. This is indoors, dark, disorientating, and is probably best played with night vision turned on. Matches on this map will be fast and furious and probably riddled with gren spamming. Because of this the noob tube will be unavailable and players will be limited to 1 grenade and 1 special grenade. Players will either luv it or hate it. The good news (for some) choppers and airstrikes are pretty much useless.

There will be no hud but minimap will be up continuously. Yes, peoples firing will be visible unless being blocked by perk. All weapons and perks will be available unless previously mentioned.

Next week will either be HQ or DOM simply, due to the nature of the maps. We could run TDM but would be pointless on the big map as you would need 50+ players to make it any fun for TDM.

Boony and I have been looking into the question about weapon effectiveness up close and at range. While we are not 100% sure at this stage but there would seem to be irregularities with registering hits under certain circumstances. However, we cannot prove nor even attempt to try and compensate this issue as we need more volunteers.
Thanks for comments and feedback. All of it has been useful _b
Admire the fur

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:43 pm

New map tonight fellows.... be sure to grab it here

http://www.kiwisimracing.net.nz/forum/v ... =11&t=9439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck KSR...be gentle on us = SCu :)
Admire the fur

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Hopefully if rFactor finishes in time ill be on for a shooting tonight,

Chur

Growler

Post by Growler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:29 pm

Sasquatch wrote:What a bitch having to read and post in two forums :rolleyes:
Hmmmm.... ;p

OK KSR Boys...we need to slaughter them like we did last week!

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:35 pm

I'll be there as a bullet magnet as usual.
YouTube videos

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Prometheus wrote:I'll be there as a bullet magnet as usual.
Sweet!, can I hide behind you ;)

Growler, Bazz, Jetboy, Bold and 199P. I am going to get all 5 of you in a knife streak tonight. So don't stand by one another :devil:

my challenge goes out again tonight... To the person who knifes me more than 5 times in 1 map session get bragging rights 8) Thats right, I'll be a good little Sasquatch and take forum abuse for 6 days. So sharpen those knives ladies. But watch your back, Hotdog or Snake could place a knife in it }8D

Boony and I will be recording the action tonight. We are gathering video clips for Prom so he can make a video of SCu kicking the s*** out of KSR :p So if you have fraps or something else, turn it on, review it after the match and either host it someplace for me or Boony to pick up, or burn to a dvd and post it out. With bloody SimTV at it again, it could be a lot of fun _b

Good luck all _b
Admire the fur

Boony

Post by Boony » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Prometheus wrote:I'll be there as a bullet magnet as usual.
Sweet!, can I hide behind you ;)

Growler, Bazz, Jetboy, Bold and 199P. I am going to get all 5 of you in a knife streak tonight. So don't stand by one another :devil:

my challenge goes out again tonight... To the person who knifes me more than 5 times in 1 map session get bragging rights 8) Thats right, I'll be a good little Sasquatch and take forum abuse for 6 days. So sharpen those knives ladies. But watch your back, Hotdog or Snake could place a knife in it }8D

Boony and I will be recording the action tonight. We are gathering video clips for Prom so he can make a video of SCu kicking the s*** out of KSR :p So if you have fraps or something else, turn it on, review it after the match and either host it someplace for me or Boony to pick up, or burn to a dvd and post it out. With bloody SimTV at it again, it could be a lot of fun _b

Good luck all _b
In that case Sas, I'm going to turn off friendly fire and we will come hunting you too }8D
As Sas said we will be recording tonights match, So don't worry if you see me On your side I will be filming your death scene (hopefully) and forgeting to turn it on when you kill us. :B

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Sasquatch wrote:Growler, Bazz, Jetboy, Bold and 199P. I am going to get all 5 of you in a knife streak tonight. So don't stand by one another :devil:
Hones knife finger......so much for having anything else on other than extreme endurance tonight :p

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:41 am

Good game last night lads. I counted it at 2 - 2 for our first tie.

I f***ed up and forgot to send Riven the configuration file the other day :rolleyes: So, if anyone was unhappy with playing last weeks game I am to be flamed and nobody else :nuke:

Did anyone manage to knife me more than 5 times in 1 map? I think Jetboy came close but I wasn't counting :dazed: Recording with FRAPS and playing does not work. My frame rate dropped to about 15 D:

It was a great turn out and glad to see lots of KSR dudes showed up.
Admire the fur