Re: rFactor 2 - first screenshots

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Growler wrote:Damn Obsc3ne...you beat me
Nothing new there .... :D :D

mrsinista

Post by mrsinista » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:19 am

Harding Jr wrote:
As I said last night, I don't think dx9 will be a problem. If you've got a good computer it will look mean. If you have a lower end PC, it won't look as good. But you will still be able to play. Everyone is a winner. _b
Im still disappointed, the screenshots look good, as in average for a modern game. I was hoping for something that really took a step up from rfactor 1. Yes the images look sharper but I was hoping for a new DX11 engine that really delivered a next gen experience.
If you have a new high end PC and play a game like Metro 2033, the step up is realism is huge from something like COD6. COD6 still looks great IMO, but is shiny and nice where Metro is real looking. Skin has a texture and each individual hair is drawn. Imagine that level of detail in a sim! Watching graining appear on tyres, seeing individual marbles off the racing line etc. That is what I was wanting.

If they had to choose out of making the game feel great or look great I would choose feel everyday. That is the most important thing. But with how long they have had I really expected something more than DX9. Please dont tell me they havent included decent surround sound :eek:

Blenderer

Post by Blenderer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 pm

mrsinista wrote:
Harding Jr wrote:
As I said last night, I don't think dx9 will be a problem. If you've got a good computer it will look mean. If you have a lower end PC, it won't look as good. But you will still be able to play. Everyone is a winner. _b
Im still disappointed, the screenshots look good, as in average for a modern game. I was hoping for something that really took a step up from rfactor 1. Yes the images look sharper but I was hoping for a new DX11 engine that really delivered a next gen experience.
If you have a new high end PC and play a game like Metro 2033, the step up is realism is huge from something like COD6. COD6 still looks great IMO, but is shiny and nice where Metro is real looking. Skin has a texture and each individual hair is drawn. Imagine that level of detail in a sim! Watching graining appear on tyres, seeing individual marbles off the racing line etc. That is what I was wanting.

If they had to choose out of making the game feel great or look great I would choose feel everyday. That is the most important thing. But with how long they have had I really expected something more than DX9. Please dont tell me they havent included decent surround sound :eek:
Completely agree with you, I expected a bigger jump in the graphics department as well. The only screenshots that look decent are the rain ones, I'm suprised really.
If You Are In Control, You Are Not Going Fast Enough!

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Reflections
reflection_ext1.jpg
reflection_ext2.jpg
reflection_ext3.jpg

Bull

Post by Bull » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:15 pm

I think at the end of the day ISI isn't a big budget developer like EA etc, so they probably can't afford or have the resources to completely recreate the graphics engine for rF2.

The physics engine is the main thing anyway, which I have no doubt will be a vast improvement over the current one. It still looks pretty though and maybe not up to current gen standard, you aren't really going to notice the lack of DX11 at 180 miles per hour down conrod straight

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:21 pm

mrsinista wrote:
Harding Jr wrote:

Flashy graphics are one thing - but it is pointless looking nice if the physics are crap. Its the physics that make the mod - for example the Historix. Everyone loves that mod because the car is more controlable etc.

Rolo

Post by Rolo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:56 am

Growler wrote: Flashy graphics are one thing - but it is pointless looking nice if the physics are crap. Its the physics that make the mod - for example the Historix. Everyone loves that mod because the car is more controlable etc.
_b. But I wouldn't get too worried about the graphics, the rF2 dev guy has tried to remind people on the VIR forums several times that all the graphics are WIP (although this really means a 2010 release is hopeful).When the graphics have been good, like the rain shots, they have been pretty good.
I'm with Sin really....... top notch sound please :D

mrsinista

Post by mrsinista » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Growler wrote:
mrsinista wrote:
Harding Jr wrote:

Flashy graphics are one thing - but it is pointless looking nice if the physics are crap. Its the physics that make the mod - for example the Historix. Everyone loves that mod because the car is more controlable etc.
G you make it sound like you can only have good physics if the graphics are average or that if the graphics are great the physics must be bad. I want both to be top notch. Im disappointed that they are releasing a game in 2010-2011 with a DX9 engine that debuted in 2003. DX10 is now 4 years old. Sure you can sqeeze more and more out of DX9 but it is an old engine which will use about 10 percent of what my PC is capable off.

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:49 pm

mrsinista wrote:Sure you can sqeeze more and more out of DX9 but it is an old engine which will use about 10 percent of what my PC is capable off.
I do agree that they should have implemented dx10 and dx11 as options. Much like how rFactor (1) has options for dx7 and dx8. This would mean lower end computer and user's are happy and those people who spend thousands of $$$ on their gaming instead of buying a real car and racing are happy too ;) .

EDIT: This was interpreted wrong. I meant how rFactor (1) has option dx7, dx8 and dx9. It would be convenient if rFactor2 had options dx9, dx10 and dx11 as options.
Last edited by Harding Jr on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Im pretty sure I read RF2 will only support DX9... no 7 or 8 support, so start saving your hard earned cash if you run in 7 or 8 now.

code

Post by code » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 pm

bawaahaha....who the hell runs in dx7 or 8? and why?

Growler

Post by Growler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm

mrsinista wrote:G you make it sound like you can only have good physics if the graphics are average or that if the graphics are great the physics must be bad. I want both to be top notch. Im disappointed that they are releasing a game in 2010-2011 with a DX9 engine that debuted in 2003. DX10 is now 4 years old. Sure you can sqeeze more and more out of DX9 but it is an old engine which will use about 10 percent of what my PC is capable off.
Not at all. I too would prefer awsome graphics along with excellent physics. What I'm saying is that if the physics are spot on people will still play it long term as apposed to a flashy looking game with crap physics.
For example I would get more long term enjoyment playing Richard Burns Rally than I would playing Dirt 2.
And to be honest I don't look at how pretty the graphics are when I'm racing. I'm too concentrated on chasing the cars in front (Passing Rifty for the third time!)
I'm just hoping it is a big improvement all round.

mrsinista

Post by mrsinista » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Harding Jr wrote:
mrsinista wrote:Sure you can sqeeze more and more out of DX9 but it is an old engine which will use about 10 percent of what my PC is capable off.
I do agree that they should have implemented dx10 and dx11 as options. Much like how rFactor (1) has options for dx7 and dx8. This would mean lower end computer and user's are happy and those people who spend thousands of $$$ on their gaming instead of buying a real car and racing are happy too ;) .

EDIT: This was interpreted wrong. I meant how rFactor (1) has option dx7, dx8 and dx9. It would be convenient if rFactor2 had options dx9, dx10 and dx11 as options.
I would love to buy a real race car and race it for the cost of my PC. If someone can tell me how to buy and maintain a race car for $2k every 2 or 3 years that would be great!

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:20 am

If your browser supports magnify, you'll be able to see the effect.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Very nice! Not over done, looks spot on.

For those who are not sure how to zoom in, with Firefox hold ctrl and mouse wheel up.

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:40 pm

New Car - Lola T70
newcar_newyear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:28 pm

code wrote:bawaahaha....who the hell runs in dx7 or 8? and why?
A lot of people run DX8 as a workaround for the horrible DX9 support in rFactor which causes lock-ups on some video cards.
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

Growler

Post by Growler » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 am

UPDATE: ISI has removed the video as it was only uploaded for testing purposes, proper footage of the drying line feature will be available soon!

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 am

Video already removed by the user O_o

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:10 am

Timothy Wheatley

This video was just posted on our forums to ask rendering advice from people on the forum. If you go to our Youtube page you don't see it there. I'm fine with Montoya posting it here (that's his job), but it will be deleted when I have finished testing rendering so I can produce one which isn't about the rendering and actually shows the drying line effects
Thank God... I wasnt impressed by what I watched.

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Real one,,, still not that impressed.

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Hugh Jarse wrote:Real one,,, still not that impressed.

Looks promising

I can see that being used in Dirt/Speedway with the track starting off wet and slickening off as the race goes on _b _b

Pitbull

Post by Pitbull » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Bull wrote:I can see that being used in Dirt/Speedway with the track starting off wet and slickening off as the race goes on
Now that would be awesome!!!

Rolo

Post by Rolo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:58 pm

The wet/dry bits look good with the shadows and other stuff. The core graphics still look a bit rF1 ish though. Wish it could look a bit more like Shift 2, which might well be shite but looks incredible in the graphics dept.

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Harding Jr wrote:
Growler wrote:Hmmmmm...

While we're implementing many requests from various league admins to enhance the online experience, probably the biggest feature that affects both single and multiplayer is our new dynamic racing surface technology, or RealRoad. The track will "rubber in" as the weekend unfolds, excessive rain can clean the track surface, drylines will appear as the cars dry out the track, and marbles begin to build up as the race unfolds. All of this is constantly affecting the grip level of the track, and none of it is predetermined, but rather it is based on where and how the cars are driven. It will especially make online racing a whole new experience...
That is going to be awesome! I sure do how that on softer surfaces, such as gravel, dirt, grass and sandtraps that the actual surface can be moved. Hence creating ruts and moving the raceline as the race goes on. _b
From the above video, we see what was being talked about here and they have delivered exactly what they have promised. _b . If you look at the practice session timer whilst the clips change the time change is bugger. 1-2minutes and the look of the surface has completely changed. On a large track such as that also that only means the traffic will have gone over it once in that time period to change it that much!. 30cars going around a 400m dirt oval will change it dramatically!! :D HELL YEAH BROTHER!
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall