Triple sceen setup

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Foxman

Triple sceen setup

Post by Foxman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:30 pm

hey there guys,im looking at doing a triple screen setup for my sim cockpit(midlife crisis or earthquake crisis).
noticed a guy here not long ago posted his on here but cant seem to find it.Anyone know of him or anyone here done this setup?.....worth doing and what ya like and not like.Might just go with 24inch screens,i race rfactor but like to get into iracing again once ive done this setup,parrently iracing has a great setup option for triple screen setup,but hope rfactor works fine.
Give me some thoughts please guys :talker:

Hugh

Re: Triple sceen setup

Post by Hugh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:47 am

Depends which way you want to go..
Nvidia surround or ATI eyefinity.

whatever way you go, get monitors with the thinest bezels.

Here's rfactor with Nvidia surround.
large video file-sorry

http://files.ksr.net.nz/users/HughJarse ... rround.rar"

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:22 am

Also make sure the monitor has flat edges!

I saw someone a while ago that bought triple monitors that tried to set them up, but each monitor had a big curve in one side, didn't look good.

I know both Nodnerb and Sasquatch run triple monitors.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Hugh Jarse wrote:Depends which way you want to go..
Nvidia surround or ATI eyefinity.

whatever way you go, get monitors with the thinest bezels.

Here's rfactor with Nvidia surround.
large video file-sorry

http://files.ksr.net.nz/users/HughJarse ... rround.rar"
What's the track Hugh?

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:34 pm

nice video,im looking at going with ati eyefinity with 24inch viewsonic screens 1080p

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:04 pm

With Eyefinity its easy as long as you have a displayport on at least one of the monitors.

If not then it get a bit more expensive but not too hard. You'll need to use an active displayport adapter and plug that into your GPU DP port and it converts that signal to allow you to plug it into a DVI port on your monitor.

Hope that helps, but if you have any questions just fire away :)

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:02 pm

cost about $30 for that adapter doesnt it?

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:03 pm

nodnerb what you using,card and screens?

Kinser

Post by Kinser » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Awesome to catch up earlier Foxman for a chat, good luck with the Triple Screen setup.

Just a question Nodnerb:
I have 3 monitors currently all running and through the display port setup as well, I currently run 2 ATI Radeon graphics cards, 2 monitors connected to one card and the other is connected to the other card but I still have issues of trying to run or setup Eyefinity and help please?

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:26 pm

yea Kins great to chat m8.

also do you think iracing is a better fov than rfactor? i looked on youtube an iracing seems to look more realistic than what the rfactor vids are like.The rfactor seems to look really narrow on the middle screen where the iracing looks perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTu66toC4NQ

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm using a 5970 with 3 HP zr24w screens. They each have a DP so it's real simple to plug in. The card has 3 connections, 1 Dp and 2 DVI, so I hook up my centre monitor to the DP and the other 2 via DVI

rFactor looks a bit old in 3 screens as all it is really doing is displaying the one image across a larger desktop. In iracing you can render all 3 screens seperatly so everything lines up spot on. They also have a FOV tool that you input screen size distance to screen etc and it calculate thes correct FOV for each car.

@Kinser, not really sure mate, what sort of problems are you having, what cards are you using and are the monitors all the same?

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 am

thanks mate,thats make me think twice now lol,i play rfactor most of the time,iracing is good but just dont like how ya cant play it offline or has that changed.Lets hope rfactor2 has that option iracing has for triple screen

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:33 am

So ISI says... RF2 will properly support triple screens.

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:05 am

Hugh Jarse wrote:So ISI says... RF2 will properly support triple screens.
Can't wait :D Just wish they would give us some idea of a release date so I knew how long the wait was going to be ;p

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:03 pm

what would ya pay for a ati graphics card like yours

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Foxman wrote:what would ya pay for a ati graphics card like yours
If you need to get the card, then I wouldn't get a 5970. Its older technology now and still overpriced as well. I picked mine up on a trip to Hong Kong so it was reasonable, but here they are still over $700

For triple monitor setups I build systems with Sapphire 6950 cards and can supply them for $460 each if you need one. They can be unlocked to the 6970 spec but cost about $150 or so less than the 6970.
They are an excellent card and will keep you going for a few years yet. However to get the most out of it, you'll need a reasonable power supply as well, 500W min, preferably 600W.

If you havn't bought your screens yet, try and get something that is a 16:10 (1920 x 1200)format as the extra height is good to have when you go widescreen, but there are not many of them around :)

HTH :)

bradc

Post by bradc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm

For my triple set up I went with a Gigabyte 5870 2GB Eyefinity 6. Reason being, it was less than $100 more than the 3 screen version and all of the connectors at the back were the same (all mini DisplayPort). I found understanding all the different requirements for the different connectors rather confusing so I ended up buying 3 of the same monitors (Dell U2311H - 1920x1080) which had DisplayPort connectors. The only thing I didn't do was go as Nobnerd has suggested and get the 1920x1200 monitors simply because that would have blown my budget. Once I'd found a monitor stand for them, the rest of the setup was rather simple and the result is amazing. Like has been said rFactor doesn't really show of it's potential, but I've found it rather helping when corning next to another car you've got a greater field of view, allowing for cleaner racing. I put Dirt2 on my pc for a bit of fun and it shows the potential of having 3 screen much, much better....hopefully soon rF2 comes out so the screens can be better tuned for racing.

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:56 pm

thanks for the info guys,really awesome to hear your guys setups! wished ya lived in chch so i could pop over for a turn ;)

Kinser

Post by Kinser » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Foxman wrote:thanks for the info guys,really awesome to hear your guys setups! wished ya lived in chch so i could pop over for a turn ;)
Likewise Foxman, it's being awesome reading about your guys setups, those monitors you mention Nodnerb sounds like a definite plan for me in the future. Unfortunately I has to resort back to plan one and run my three monitors off my two graphics cards as my monitors done pick up HDMI.

But plan B is to bye a Matrox Triplehead2Go in the new few weeks.
Last edited by Kinser on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

juliant

Post by juliant » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 am

Foxman wrote:thanks mate,thats make me think twice now lol,i play rfactor most of the time,iracing is good but just dont like how ya cant play it offline or has that changed.Lets hope rfactor2 has that option iracing has for triple screen
No theres no offline but they did introduce a spectator mode where you can participate in races whilst being invisible to the actual field. Great if you are out of practice in a particular car/track and dont want to cause havoc to other drivers or your safety rating. Bit unnerving when cars pass right through you though....

DraK

Post by DraK » Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 am

I'm using Softth for my triple screen setup, works pretty well but plan to go to a hardware based solution when I upgrade my PC next again.. Big question is to stay nVidia or go ATI/AMD.
..... and once a week there is race night! ....