FreeTrack or alternative

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
callum91

FreeTrack or alternative

Post by callum91 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Is anyone using free track or a program like it where it changes your view in car to the direction where you are looking on the screen. Is it worth doing something like this for my sim rig? Does it improve laptimes or realism etc. Thanks

Growler

Re: FreeTrack or alternative

Post by Growler » Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 pm

I think Sasquatch uses TrackIR? which is what you are talking about.

callum91

Post by callum91 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Growler wrote:I think Sasquatch uses TrackIR? which is what you are talking about.
Kinda TrackIR has its own receiver and has all the accesories in one pack whereas this is a free program which you have to make your own light system for a normal webcam to pick up on.
They both do the same thing though.

DraK

Post by DraK » Mon May 16, 2011 11:45 am

Strangely i just started to try get this set up.. Need to hack apart my old webcam to remove IR filter though first.

Got a very basic rig set up but needs a lot of tweaking still and yet to try drive with this.

Also think Ineed to get the "proper" LEDs, trying currently with standard red ones
..... and once a week there is race night! ....

callum91

Post by callum91 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 pm

DraK wrote:Strangely i just started to try get this set up.. Need to hack apart my old webcam to remove IR filter though first.

Got a very basic rig set up but needs a lot of tweaking still and yet to try drive with this.

Also think Ineed to get the "proper" LEDs, trying currently with standard red ones
It should work with normal LEDs without ripping out the IR filter. But the IR ones work better then just the normal one. could u post up a pic of ur setup thanks

Ggav

Post by Ggav » Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 am

Have a Track-ir but gave up using it for racing games, confusing when your holding a wheel i.e brain says thats dead ahead but, but picture is not where you are going.
Found I was missing the apex by miles because i was looking at it and brain told me thats where the car was heading when in reality i was going off on a tangent
Image Image

DraK

Post by DraK » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 am

Callum, I'll get a pic to you soon.

First prototye consists of metal wire coat hanger, tape, cable and leds connected to a 1.5v psu. Nothing flash, haven't even mounted it to a cap yet!

I'm doing this more the interest element, I think gav is right, not going to be easy to race with unless you get used to it
..... and once a week there is race night! ....