Anyone built a racebase MKII?

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Chomp

Anyone built a racebase MKII?

Post by Chomp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm

I have ordered the plans to make one for the boys but it seems like it can take time for the plans to arrive, days..

I want to purchase the MDF required now so I can start as soon as I get the plans. Can anyone tell me the maximum width and length plus height of the two main side pieces, I am trying to see if I need a full sheet or can fit in to a partial sheet.

Thanks!

Chomp

Re: Anyone built a racebase MKII?

Post by Chomp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Finally got em, here is a boring snea peak that will make my boy happy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvw8wlm ... ata_player

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:26 pm

I now have two happy boys, here is one of them :)
fin2.jpg
finished.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BK

Post by BK » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Very nice... where can I get one of those race seats from?? It looks very comfy!

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:02 pm

lol, which one, the booster seat? A bit too small for you and I :)

The racebase itself is ok but I prefer the GT style seating position than the formula 1 which the racebase is obviously based on. It's not bad but I would probably tailor it a bit if it was my main set up.
Last edited by Chomp on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bandit

Post by bandit » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Hope you let the young fella paint it,looks pretty cool. _b

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm

We were driving out to pick up some stuff and went past tip top corner on the motorway. It was then he decided he wanted to paint it as a rainbow. It was then i decided we might not paint it :)

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 am

Chomp wrote:We were driving out to pick up some stuff and went past tip top corner on the motorway. It was then he decided he wanted to paint it as a rainbow. It was then i decided we might not paint it :)
:larf: give it a week and the colour will change :D

DraK

Post by DraK » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Sweet! looks like you got your cnc router all working
..... and once a week there is race night! ....

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:45 pm

that router is awesome,great job

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 am

Yep, the router is all going well. I call it my cnc machine and the kids call it the 'toy machine' :) It certainly is nice to be able to draw something up on the computer and have complex shapes cut out for you.

The trouble is what stuff to do with it... too many ideas to play around with!

I actually have it going quite slowly at the moment. I have had it up to 18 meters a minute, about the maximum before the ball screws want to start whipping. It looks too fast for something that big to be going lol. So I just let it go slowly and give myself piece of mind it's not going to crash big time :) Slow or fast, it's heaps faster than my old methods, by hand.

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Guys, it was a good idea but in the end they are not really interested. After making it I guess they have spent around 90 minutes using it so it's just sitting here taking up some space.

If someone in auckland wants to buy it you can have it. It is unpainted, just as it is in the pictures except I did make the monitor stand to go with it. It sits over the racebase and the monitor goes just behind the wheel. It will take anything, I was putting a 30" on it.

If you want, for $100 more you can have the new dfgt I bought to use with it, that has had the same time on it as the race base, all of about an hour and a half! :)

It cost around $100 to make including buying the plans, the mdf (it's 18mm) and all the furniture bolts. It does come completely apart btw. It was made to full size and will acoomodate pretty much anyone. I am 6'2", no problem for me.

Having put the time in to it I am asking for $200. For $300 you get it and the basically brand new wheel.

If I put it on trademe I would probably get more but I reckon it's worth trying to give to you guys first.

Please don't buy it if you think you can turn a profit on it, its for someone to use :)

Thanks!
Chomp