iRacing - New Tire Model on the V8SC

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
TonyH

iRacing - New Tire Model on the V8SC

Post by TonyH » Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 am

For those that may be interested the very long overdue 'new tire model' for the V8SC is finally being released on Tuesday!!

A lot of the testing and development of it has done has been done by Shane van Gisbergen and Scott McLaughlin, with Shane saying it’s close to the real thing. I’ve been in the odd practise sessions with Shane and whenever he's asked if the current V8SC drives like a real one… his reply was usually a laugh with a 'nah mate', so this is looking very promising _b

The release ties in with the round at Philip Island, so numbers next week will be huge, would be good to see the Kiwi numbers up too....
Formally Dammit, dammit

sellarb4

Re: iRacing - New Tire Model on the V8SC

Post by sellarb4 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Just did 10 laps in the Ford, first time in 6 months, & yes the OTM is awful bring on tomorrow. :yum:

TonyH

Post by TonyH » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 am

From the release notes....

Ford Falcon V8 Supercar

We have taken the time to overhaul this car with the New Tire Model, and to bring many parts of it's modelling up to latest techniques. The results have been good enough that even real drivers Shane Van Gisbergen and Scott McLaughlin, who have been providing us with a lot of vital testing and tuning feedback, are very happy with the car now, and so we wanted to bring it to you early instead of waiting another couple of months for Season 3.

- Updated to use the New Tire Model.

- Suspension modelling has been improved. Especially improved is how the whole rear axle behaves. This may also have been the source of the occasional launch into the sky bug. The front suspension can now have it's roll center height adjusted.

- Reworked aerodynamics with our latest aero techniques and with latest data.

- Rear wing is now adjustable.

- Changed most setup items to default to metric sizes, including springs and bars.

- Alterations to the anti-roll bar stiffnesses and motion ratios. Also more rear size options are available.

- Cleaned up unnecessary stuff from the garage, such as antiroll bar arm length adjustment.

- Limit steering ratio to 10:1 minimum.

- Engine torque and efficiency revisions.

- Reduced drafting strength and length.

- Improved collision definitions for better 4x behavior.

- Updated iRacing setups.

Shame how work get's in the way of the important stuff... so haven't tried it yet, but sounds very promising...
Formally Dammit, dammit

TonyH

Post by TonyH » Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 am

Car is simalar, but very different... lot of complaining and lots of happy people. A recent post from Scott about the car...
Scott McLaughlin @ iRacing wrote:Hey guys,

Firstly if your complaining, harden up its exactly how it handles in real life pretty much to the T. So I guess you better not drive this car..

Throughout testing we used the Motec Data Analysis system for iRacing to know exactly what throttle percentage we used in real life, brake pressure, steering angle even how much mid corner and top speed we had in real life. The tyre degradation was a hard one but we got that sorted and its safe to say with the final product that has been released it does everything the SAME, honestly everything.

Its honestly for most of you its gonna take some time to get used to. The set up window will be narrower but just give it time and I'm sure you all will like it...

Big thank you must go out to you guys for waiting so long for it, but the longer we worked on it the better it got, it wasn't like the guys at iRacing didn't work on it at all, it was because it was that bloody hard to find the sweet spot with the different physics settings, aero changes etc etc. So thank you for waiting so long but this I think will change the game in the case of the V8SC online series...

Also I think most of you guys need to thank a guy named Eric Hudec. He spent countless hours with me and Shane sorting this out, he was absolutely gobsmacked about how little grip it had but he continued to work with us to make it as real as possible! So I think he needs a big shout out.

But yeah really guys myself, Shane and all the guys at iRacing hope you enjoy it, i'm sure you will see a lot more V8 Supercar drivers coming on with this NTM and if we get Bathurst jeez louise you'll get sick of us!! haha

Thanks for the patience and happy racing..

Scott.
Formally Dammit, dammit

sellarb4

Post by sellarb4 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 pm

I echo your thoughts Tony.
For me personally the car suits my style a lot more & with a simple set up I manage to top 10 with some of the top guys on the sever last night.
The big caution though & this is what gets the whingers going is that it you over drive the car you will get spat out the back of the field.
Tough but fun car. Turn 1 @ Philip Island is amazing to drive. 8)

TonyH

Post by TonyH » Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Yeah it takes time to adjust, but it does feel a lot better, you need to be so much gentler on the gas, everything you do needs to be so much smoother, and less sideways. A few times last night, I drifted back to OTM and spun on the next corner.

I was also pleased to find it’s nothing like the Cadillac, (which is a free car for those who have been away for a while), some things with that car mid-corner just don’t feel quite right.

Even on the OTM the V8 races have been good this season, with the adjustment to the fuel tank size down to 75l, and the consumption adjusted to real usage, you now have to pit every race which adds a good dose of realness and strategy.

Also good to hear Scott say that the car now drives like the real thing, very lucky to have him and Shane help develop the car... all we need now is a Holden and Bathurst!!!... then the numbers would really go off.
Formally Dammit, dammit

TonyH

Post by TonyH » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:37 am

Some more good news to add...
Tony Gardner @ iRacing wrote: Bathurst license signed
Working on our press release but know lot of people really want this track so thought would let folks know we finally secured the license for it officially yesterday. I assume it will release next year but hopefully will get it scanned this year. Again tracks coming next are Langley in June, Zolder around August, Oran Park Sept or October.

We should be scanning Rockingham and another Oval this year, Seekonk raceway in Massachusetts! Just kidding, will not be that oval.

Took us a long while to get the Bathurst license but Steve Myers stayed after it.
_b :D The rumours were that things were close with Bathurst,, also as iRacing tend to scan multiple tracks on each trip, chances are that Eastern Creek will get added to the list
Formally Dammit, dammit