Braking and turning in.

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Yoda_NZ

Braking and turning in.

Post by Yoda_NZ » Wed May 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Having real trouble with braking and turning while keeping the car balanced. If I brake early I can settle the car turn in and get around. However if I try and brake at the same point you guys do (based on your brake lights going on) I either can't settle the car and end up running too deep into the corner, or lock the brakes and end up doing the same or going off.

Brake pressure is set to 97% in game, brake balance pretty far forward (near 60-40 for V8s) I think (can't confirm at the moment). The tires temps are red, running the rfDynHud and brake temps don't appear to high or too cool. Downshifting for engine braking as best I can.

Don't believe it is a car setup or system setup problem, but a user error (my lines are good).

Or more simply put "How the hell do you guys brake so late, stay on the track, and still get the exit speed"

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Re: Braking and turning in.

Post by Bold » Wed May 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Maybe getting too much engine braking?

I haven't tried the V8 mod, but in some cars it can be a lot more stable if you keep some gas on while you brake.

Are you a left or right foot braker?

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Wed May 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Left foot braker, trying to make sure I am keeping the right revs on and trail braking into the corner, where I can, but normally it is too late.

But I must admit I do tend to lift off the throttle completely when braking and blip to aviod locking

BK

Post by BK » Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 pm

You know, I've had this same problem and only now I've started to understand what I'm doing wrong to correct the same issue.

I find that this mod you don't have to brake as hard to get the car to slow down. The brakes actually work better when the peddle is not pressed all the way down.

Some braking zones require hard braking while others only need the brake peddle caressed. I have found the car brakes better when the you squeeze the peddle and not slam it down.

What I try and do is get on the brakes and then when I start to turn in I lift off almost until the car is settled. At that point I start to apply throttle. I don't get this right all the time.

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Blip the throttle with each gear change and carry gas through the corner. I also trial brake throughout the corner slightly as well - that is I still have slight brake pressure even after turn in. Basically you want the gas to keep the traction on the rear and you want brake to keep weight on the front to turn.

I start the races on 64:36 Brake bias as well.

BK

Post by BK » Thu May 31, 2012 7:32 am

I read an interesting piece on brake bias. The more the front has to do the work, the more potential they have of brake fading due to getting too hot. If this happens then the rears lock and what you feel is actually oversteer under heavy braking.

So if you get a lot of rear lockup under braking and the bias is forward a bit more than usual, maybe you need to more the bias to the rear.

I run 60/40 or around that but not much more than 61/39 with between 93% - 95% pressure.

Each to their own of course :)

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm

So I am reading that there is always a little amount of throttle keeping the car balanced. Trailing the brake after turn in. "Carry the gas in the corner" is that keeping at mid throttle, high/low depends on the corner? Love a bit more insight in to what you mean.

What are the prefer plugins for keeping an eye on things?

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu May 31, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't have/use any plugins other then Heavy FFB on Realfeel.

Every corner is different, its really just a case of practising and working on it, every driver is different and every corner is different. It's really something that I've just learned and picked up from racing real life the last 14 years of my life!

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu May 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Motec Plugin is the best.

I have a project I setup for setting my tyre pressures etc.

Below shows a lap of Symonds. I tend to leave my foot on the gas a bit much, a nice settled car shouldn't need much/any throttle to balance it. I generally run around 56-44 Brake Bias
Vertical line is at the hairpin.
Symonds Motec.jpg
Can you tell where I hit the wall and blew the tyre as well as ripping other bits off the car lol :B
Symonds Motec tyres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Ooooh, Can someone please, remove these, cutleries, from my knees" - fotc
"All those who hate speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

Wow that was interesting, around the corners looks like you are hold 25-30% throttle still (mostly), which I would think is more than me. And that there is quite a variation in brake pressures during a corner entry. Is it because you are relasing the brake because of locking up, or it is an instinctive change with car balance.

Thanks heaps for that