IRACING????

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
JEFFRO

IRACING????

Post by JEFFRO » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi does anyone know where the kiwis race online.....im thinking of getting into iracing the v8 side of this but really wana race in nz timezone....any links would be great _b

chur NZL_JEFFRO

Maaz

Re: IRACING????

Post by Maaz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 pm

The big v8 races are on Monday nights.

This is a list of some of the iracing leagues for aussies and kiwis.
Not all are listed here though, only a few (18):
http://statmonkey.is-a-geek.net/ilom/leagues

Hardman

Re: IRACING???? Hell yeah!!

Post by Hardman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm

There's a bonus at the bottom of my post if you make it that far :eek:

The link above is pretty good. I have decided that iRacing is where most of the v8 racers are. In the last week there were 168 different racers. Last season there were a total of 585 racers. Try and get that in rFactor!

In case you don't know anything about how iRacing works, I will try and explain. I know that when I joined a few months ago I knew nothing. There are 4 series a year that run for 12 weeks each with 1 week in between. Each week there is a different track. The track changes on Tuesday around noon. Qualifying is hourly and you can qualify as often as you like. Your best qualifying lap is used when determining the grid. Racing is every 2 hours. The rookie series are every hour. You can race as often as you like. For your first 4 races of the week your best result counts towards the championship. After that it gets averaged e.g. 8 races, average of your best 2 races. For a race to be official it needs at least 8 cars. I think for the v8's the max number of cars per race is 25. If there are more cars registered, then the cars are split into multiple races. The splits are determined by iRating, not qualifying result. iRating is a points system for giving everybody a ranking. If you win a race you get a heap of points and if you come last you lose a heap. If you finish in the middle you might get or lose a few points. The number of points depends on who you beat or who beats you and how many points they have. The higher the average iRating (strength of field) in your race, the more championship points you can make.

I managed to make it into the v8's without buying any extra cars or tracks. It is only as expensive as you make it.

At the moment you can join for free for 3 months and get 3 extra tracks. There's no reason not to give it a try. http://www.cadillaccupracing.com

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 am

Based on your post Hardman, I've decided to give it a go :)

EDIT: Friend request sent

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:39 am

Thought I'd jump in the deep end and get right into racing. And, I've just finished my first MX5 race :D
Talk about a steep learning curve though!

3 x Penalties for jumped start due to no clutch assigned, and un-safe pit entry and exit. doh!
Finished 2 laps down, but pulled in the second fastest lap of the race. Only guy faster was a D class racer, so quite pleased with that :D

No so keen on the forced cockpit view O_o

Think I need to do some praccy, and get the keys/pedals etc setup correctly before I dive into another race :larf:

Maaz

Post by Maaz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 pm

make sure you drop by the Aus/NZ forums. It's a good place to find out what's going on in our timezone.

The general/off topic forum is a good example of everything that is wrong with America.

JEFFRO

Post by JEFFRO » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Ok thanks for all your input guys....ill try and find my way to the track soon _b

hawkins

Post by hawkins » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

heya jeffro ..... used to race with ya alot back in eao .... so whats the general consensus with iracing
WELLINGTONWILDCATS BRINGING BACK THE BIFF

When life throws you a curve , Slam it down a gear and hit the apex harder !!!!!

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Give it a go MMJ, I enjoy it, but have only been racing in the MX5, yet to try other cars.

Renewed my subscription, $59 for 1 year. Can't go wrong with that _b _b

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 am

That sounds like a plan :) Ive never liked rFactors contact with the road surface.

Any dirt racing on I-racing? Rally or Speedway or just tarmac?

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm

No, just the superior tarmac racing ;p

Scott-DPG

Post by Scott-DPG » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey guys,

Thought id jump in on this thread as i have become very pro iRacing. The more i drive the sim, the more i enjoy it. Here is a couple reasons why.

I have a D class license, my 1st race in the v8's was hosted by OSR at Spa. I had never raced with these guys in the past, let alone many or any of the drivers. I was using a base set (iRacing supply) with a few mods to my liking. Im not very good at qually, never have been (just call me Russel Ingal haha), so qually netted me a 28th out of 30 starters. (oh just a heads up, if you are qually on a hosted server and you get an offtrack, your time will not count. So you need to be very clean during qually) The race was 40 laps, 40 around spa is a long time behind the wheel. anyways, i ended up coming 12th at the finish line.

Now this is the real one i like.

OSR do a development series, the series is based around a fixed setup thats locked and everyone has to use it. This race had 49 starters, thats right 49 on the grid, a mix of A-D class drivers. I qually 12th, i was pretty happy with that, by 1st pit stop i was up to 4th. Then a major miss communication with another driver (long story) to much damage and i ended up bailing after 3 pit stops to try and fix. But man was that awesome.

The two series that OSR do start at 9pm AEDST, so not sure how that effects you guys in NZ, as im in Perth and well 6pm is great for me lol

Here are a few other things i can suggest. Do some research, much like rF, ppl have researched info about it and made posts or told others. The 1st hints or info that work for me are the wheel settings.

I have a T500RS wheel, i run a Sparco 310 (310mm) wheel on this with a Sam Maxwell wheel button plate and paddle shifters. I also run Hyper peddles. The main issue i have found in iR is the FFB and the brake lock up is very sensitive.

So there are some things you can adjust, in the controller settings on the left you have steer rotation, this gets set when you calibrate your wheel (my calibration works out i have 695 wheel and map range, my wheel profiler is set at 700, so this is good.

The next is the brake factor. Now many ppl complain that they always just lock up brakes at the touch of their peddles. I to had this issue untill i started playing with the brake factor slider. From what i work out, its like a pressure sensor or sensitivity adjuster. I have mine set at around 3.40-4.00. This may vary from ppl to ppl and different peddle setups.

Then we have FFB, now for the v8's i run. I dont like a heavy wheel at all, light and easy to turn, but can feel the FFB still. Great advantage with the Thrustmaster T500rs (plug plug plug haha)
Strength: 3.8
Damping: 0%
Min Force: 0%

Now again this will depend on your profiler setting fr your wheel. I am always adjusting these settings as i dont think i have reached the best i want, but these are the best ive got so far.

So their is some reading & testing for you, one other recommendation is to use the base setups that iR supply, dont get frustrated with things not working how you want them too. After some chat with some of the top guys, a lot of their setup started out using the iR base and grew from there as they developed. Hope this has maybe helped and that you might make it over to the iR stuff and see you on the track.

If you want to add me as friend name is Scott Stephens, oh and if you want a custom skin done, holla away. Here is a great tool that let you get a series of skins automatically. http://www.tradingpaints.com

and here is my current Falcon

cheers

Scotty-DPG
Last edited by Scott-DPG on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bull

Post by Bull » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Problem I had with iRacing was I never felt the car was connected to the track. You couldn't really feel the car as such.

Scott-DPG

Post by Scott-DPG » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Bull wrote:Problem I had with iRacing was I never felt the car was connected to the track. You couldn't really feel the car as such.
Bull have you tried lately.

I think its a massive better difference compared to rF. But im not sure what you race so, hard to say either way.

IMO, its the best ive ever done, used etc. Close behind is Assetto Corsa now, after playing their tech demo.
Last edited by Scott-DPG on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Awesome post Scotty, might take you up on the skin offer :D

ps. Edit your post Scotty, you're missing an S off the tradingpaints url :)

Bull

Post by Bull » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Scott-DPG wrote:
Bull wrote:Problem I had with iRacing was I never felt the car was connected to the track. You couldn't really feel the car as such.
Bull have you tried lately.

I think its a massive better difference compared to rF. But im not sure what you race so, hard to say either way.

IMO, its the best ive every done, used etc. Close behind is Assetto Corsa now, after playing their tech demo.
Admittedly I haven't been on in the last 6 months or so.

Scott-DPG

Post by Scott-DPG » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Riftcreator wrote:Awesome post Scotty, might take you up on the skin offer :D

ps. Edit your post Scotty, you're missing an S off the tradingpaints url :)
Skin offer wide and open, Just email me dpg@westnet.com.au

URL all fixed too.

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Riftcreator wrote:Give it a go MMJ, I enjoy it, but have only been racing in the MX5, yet to try other cars.
Renewed my subscription, $59 for 1 year. Can't go wrong with that _b _b
MadaMaoriJR wrote:That sounds like a plan :) Ive never liked rFactors contact with the road surface.

Any dirt racing on I-racing? Rally or Speedway or just tarmac?
Riftcreator wrote:No, just the superior tarmac racing ;p
Each to there own, Il never look at tarmac as a better surface to race on than dirt!, and I get my tarmac fix here @ KSR so Il pass on I-racing for now

Scott-DPG

Post by Scott-DPG » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:49 am

Anyone started looking at or doing some iR stuff yet?

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:22 am

Not yet, busy with the current rFactor BMW league, onece that is done I'll have a look at some iRacing. Need to get out of the Rookie licence :>

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Riftcreator wrote:Not yet, busy with the current rFactor BMW league, onece that is done I'll have a look at some iRacing. Need to get out of the Rookie licence :>
You are a Rookie.

Hardman

Post by Hardman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Scott-DPG wrote:Anyone started looking at or doing some iR stuff yet?
Yeah mate, sent you a friend request the other day. Thanks for being my friend :D
I've been racing the V8's when they are at a track I own. The next track I have is Philip Island which is next week. I have also been racing in the oval truck series. Heaps of fun. I also have the late model oval car which I dabble in now and then. I have really enjoyed the oval racing at iRacing, much better than rFactor. See ya on the track some time.

Scott-DPG

Post by Scott-DPG » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 pm

Hardman wrote:
Scott-DPG wrote:Anyone started looking at or doing some iR stuff yet?
Yeah mate, sent you a friend request the other day. Thanks for being my friend :D
I've been racing the V8's when they are at a track I own. The next track I have is Philip Island which is next week. I have also been racing in the oval truck series. Heaps of fun. I also have the late model oval car which I dabble in now and then. I have really enjoyed the oval racing at iRacing, much better than rFactor. See ya on the track some time.
Hay Hardman,

Yeah got a couple of requests from a couple of you guys from here in the last couple of weeks. Great to see, iRFF's haha.

So a few ppl i have spoken to have issue with spending $$$$ for tracks, cars etc. I'll admit i own 95% of cars and all tracks. I see it like buying another cheap sim game or donating to a forum/club. I have raced at many clubs in the past and given them donations etc. Now i dont see an issue with doing it for iR. anyways thats just my opinion.

Well i have had to put a halt to racing at the mo, as i have torn muscles in my back and been in some pain for the last 2 weeks. I start physio tmrw and hope that i will mend fast and be back behind the wheel sooner than later.

Scotty
Last edited by Scott-DPG on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am

Ahh, that explains why we haven't seen you back in the BMW league.
Hope you get well soon Scotty.

Once I get past the Rookie licence I'll be looking into the V8, maybe. If I do I'll hit you up for a skin :D Love you're work, especially the GoPro Falcon. _b _b