Awareness

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Stezza

Awareness

Post by Stezza » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi guys, I'm new around here to forgive my n00b questions but...

I'm not new to racing sims, for example I've been playing GTR2 since the day it came out, however I am new to partaking in an actual race which involves more than 5 or 6 players. My main concern is lack of awareness and causing a silly accident. I have a trackIR which goes some way to alleviating this, as well as using the virtual mirrors - and maybe down the track I'll invest in a triple head setup. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were and how you go about increasing awareness while on track. I noticed in iRacing (in a youtube video) that your pit crew tells you when a car is along side and when you're clear - is there something similar in rFactor?

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Also, using the Inspire.net server for practicing - I noticed that it's password protected, is the password still the same? Can we go practice on it whenever we want and is there a set day of the week/time in which people generally practice?

Thanks guys :)

BK

Re: Awareness

Post by BK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey Stezza,

You'll find most night there's someone online, but during a league Monday nights are praccy nights.

I'll be tonight doing some laps in the BMW after 8pm. Jump on Team Speak as well and I can try and answer some of your questoins too.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 pm

I find sound is important just as much as sight. Hearing the cars around you can give you an idea where the car is if you can't see it.
The other key is knowing the drivers who are around you, but this takes time to pick up on.

Once you've been racing here a while you'll know how each of us race :)

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Riftcreator wrote:I find sound is important just as much as sight. Hearing the cars around you can give you an idea where the car is if you can't see it.
The other key is knowing the drivers who are around you, but this takes time to pick up on.

Once you've been racing here a while you'll know how each of us race :)
Rifty is the one who hits you off the track and changes lines etc.

Pits

Post by Pits » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 pm

"Rifty is the one who hits you off the track and changes lines etc"
A very cruel thing to say out loud, but still very accurate :)

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Cheeky bastards ;p

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Bull wrote:Rifty is the one who hits you off the track and changes lines etc.
And Bull is the one who spins at the front of the pack and takes half the field out of the race on the first lap :)

A month late, but I couldn't NOT say anything.
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 pm

slobb11 wrote:
Bull wrote:Rifty is the one who hits you off the track and changes lines etc.
And Bull is the one who spins at the front of the pack and takes half the field out of the race on the first lap :)

A month late, but I couldn't NOT say anything.
I've missed you Mofo! Where have you been? You're about the only thing I miss about this place haha

Scott-DPG

Post by Scott-DPG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 am

Stezza wrote: My main concern is lack of awareness and causing a silly accident. I have a trackIR which goes some way to alleviating this, as well as using the virtual mirrors. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were and how you go about increasing awareness while on track. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.
From what i know of there isnt a plug in that gives you info about cars around you.

When i 1st started rF1, if you use the #4 (i think it is) the hud line up across the bottom of your screen, I found this handy to know if cars are closing me, near me or if im closing in on them. Also if you set a key up for LCD display change, you can toggle through the LCD info, one of these lets you see the gap between you and the car in front or behind, but not lapped/lapping traffic

Now i use GID plugin with a track map, great thing about this is you can see where the track goes (if you dont know the layout) plus where the other cars are on track. Allowing you to know someone is close to you. This will also make sure you see someone who you might be lapping, or trying to lap you depending your speed.

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 am

Stezza, Rifty pretty much summed it up. Listen to the sounds of the cars around you, as that tells you when they're coming alongside.
And in time you'll get to know how everyone drives, who you can slam the door on, who will always have a go up the inside, etc.

Bull wrote:I've missed you Mofo! Where have you been? You're about the only thing I miss about this place haha
I've been busy starting a business....forgive me for linking, but I need to climb up Google's index ;)
http://www.igw.co.nz

I've also been a full-time stay-at-home dad which, when combined with the time it takes to build a stable business, has left me with about 1 hour free each evening before bed.
I've been keeping tabs on the sim-racing scene though. Looking forward to trying out Project Cars and Raceroom when they're finally released. Also looking forward to hearing someone say, "Wow! ISI really turned things around with rFactor2! Th beta was crap, but suddenly, magically, it's awesome!"

How 'bout yourself. Been keeping busy?
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am

lol @ ISI comment, not likely :larf:

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

slobb11 wrote:Stezza, Rifty pretty much summed it up. Listen to the sounds of the cars around you, as that tells you when they're coming alongside.
And in time you'll get to know how everyone drives, who you can slam the door on, who will always have a go up the inside, etc.

Bull wrote:I've missed you Mofo! Where have you been? You're about the only thing I miss about this place haha
I've been busy starting a business....forgive me for linking, but I need to climb up Google's index ;)
http://www.igw.co.nz

I've also been a full-time stay-at-home dad which, when combined with the time it takes to build a stable business, has left me with about 1 hour free each evening before bed.
I've been keeping tabs on the sim-racing scene though. Looking forward to trying out Project Cars and Raceroom when they're finally released. Also looking forward to hearing someone say, "Wow! ISI really turned things around with rFactor2! Th beta was crap, but suddenly, magically, it's awesome!"

How 'bout yourself. Been keeping busy?
Relatively so. Dealt with some family grievances, workload, personal health, more work, real racing (Kart and building the race car up :D ) etc. Haven't had much time to do any online gaming as of late, and haven't raced here for a while anyway.