sim racing secrets ?

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Ggav

sim racing secrets ?

Post by Ggav » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:04 pm

what tips / tricks or secrets does everybody have ?

office chair with castors ? get some thick cord (or power cord) tie one end to desk and run behind the castors to stop the chair mooing around. Viola you have a working office chain and a sim seat all in one.

Driving with your ears and eyes sometimes needs help, adjust the in game sounds so you can clearly hear tire scrub and slip. In Rfactor this can mean changing the 'Vehicle Scrubbing VolMult' and skid in your plr file /userdata/Alien/Paul.plr
Headphones help here.

Pick brake markers that won't get knocked over.

Try lower FOV's hard to start with but unless you have a 50" screen more 'true' and the apex 'target' is larger on the screen.

figure out what makes the car work,
BMW's had huge braking potential and IMO too much engine braking making rear lockups common - reducing cooling corrected this (by overheating rear brakes) while not compromising ultimate brake performance
Vipers have bucket loads of mid rpm torque, was obvious power dropped at high rpm but until tonight when i checked didn't realise peak was at 6500rpm and by 7000 there was less power than at 5200 i.e don't rev the viper engine hard it's slower.
NAGT's had huge tire wear when skidding i.e locking up. avoid at all costs, may have been a little slower over a lap but faster throughout the race.
Image Image

BK

Re: sim racing secrets ?

Post by BK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am

I am a desk top racer and have carpet under the office chair / race seat. It still moves in the heat of the battle though :larf:

One thing that I did that helped with braking was turn my peddle upside down. I also put in a stiffer spring on the brake and now I don't "over brake". I also left foot brake.

I watch the faster guys with their braking and cornering, and sometimes have no idea how they have braked so late and got through the corner. I struggle at times with the faster cars at carrying speed through corners. I either turn too late or enter the corner too fast.

I do believe that race sim set up does play a big part i.e. race seat / frame. You are more comfortable and in a better position than at a desk. Also wheel setting and feedback. The other part is skill... some racers are naturals and others are good.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a mid pack racer with periodic flashes of talent and heaps of stuff ups... and I am happy with that :D

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 am

I wouldn't say a Race Seat Setup has made me faster BK, maybe a few tenths at best, but it has made long racers more comfortable. And the triple screens has made it easier to see people during passing. And it's a heap more immersive, which is why I wanted them.

Interesting about the brake setting on the BMW mod Gav. I did wonder why your rear brakes were always glowing.

BK

Post by BK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 am

Riftcreator wrote:I wouldn't say a Race Seat Setup has made me faster...
There is always the exception to the rule of course... ;p

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:14 am

Ggav - Finally got around to designing and building a simpit/race seat )http://www.kiwisim.net.nz/phpBB3/viewto ... f=9&t=5732). I was actually using that in the later parts when I was racing with you guys. I have recently updated my system and because of lack of office space have gone back to using a desk and an office chair.

While I have a really nice chair now, it is no substitute for the race seat I had in the pit. It was way more comfortable, all controls fell to hand. Did it make me faster? No I still sucked pretty bad, but it was way way better.

I would recommend building or buying something (if you have the space). I suspect the brake spring mod is a good idea. Must get one when I am brave enough to dismantle my peddals.

BK

Post by BK » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Are we going to see you in the next league Yoda? :)

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Tuesday nights are currently out for as its karate night for the daugther. Been keeping an eye on the viper series which looks like a lot of fun