Starting out

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
ArcticBlue

Starting out

Post by ArcticBlue » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm just starting out with realistic sim racing. I've got a wheel and pedals and having been trying out the rfactor demo. After a couple of hours driving I now feel like I'm somewhat in control and not spinning out every lap. Funnily enough when I forced myself to slow down and stay in control I suddenly started to stay on the track and my times started improving. :D

What's the best approach to improve and what level do I need to get to before joining the rest of you in some online racing?
I presume rFactor is what most people are playing still?
I've set the difficultly level to veteran with everything disabled except auto clutch. I figured this was the best way to learn to actually drive the car. Is this sensible?
Using the default Kodi demo car on Toban raceway I'm currently down around 1:23 for my best lap and pretty consistently within 4secs of that. The AI seems to be able to do it in 1:16ish. What sort of times should I be aiming for so as not to completely hold you all up and end up being lapped every couple of laps?
I know one of the answers is going to be just spend more time practicing but I haven't found much in the way of tutorials on what things to work on.

Before anyone complains about only having the demo, I figured I might as well play on that for a bit and then find out if it's still a popular one to race online with.

Thanks

BK

Re: Starting out

Post by BK » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 am

Hi and welcome to KSR.
gch412001 wrote:What's the best approach to improve and what level do I need to get to before joining the rest of you in some online racing?
Pracrtice. Learn the track and get use to the mod, then look at set ups. There is no set up that will help you drive a track that you don't know. Practicing online with others is also a big help as you can see what lines they take and ask questions. On race nights, we can run you of the back of the grid till you are comfortable with being amongst other drivers. All you need to be able to do is drive a good line, be aware of who's around you and have cotnrol of the car.
gch412001 wrote:I presume rFactor is what most people are playing still?
Currently this is the mod used here although few are moving on to rF2 and AC. We race on Tue nights and run a practice night for anyone on the Monday night before.
gch412001 wrote:I've set the difficultly level to veteran with everything disabled except auto clutch. I figured this was the best way to learn to actually drive the car. Is this sensible?
Yes. we run leagues with no aids other than auto clutch.
gch412001 wrote:Before anyone complains about only having the demo, I figured I might as well play on that for a bit and then find out if it's still a popular one to race online with
Think the cost of the game is very cheap now so if you want to get involved, grab the game and jump online with us.

We use Team Speak when online. This allows for better communuication and if you want to jump online one night, we can have chat in game and see where you are at with the level of driving.

Cheers

BK

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:55 am

I found the following guide to be quite helpful as a reference on etiquette: http://wiki.grandprixlegends.info/index ... _Behaviour

And welcome :)

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 am

Welcome to KSR gch :wave:

ArcticBlue

Post by ArcticBlue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've got myself rFactor now and have downloaded a number of tracks and Team Speak. Just need to sort out some cars. Looks like I should spend a bit more time getting used to driving and all the rFactor controls then jump on a Monday night session in a couple of weeks and see how it all goes.

What time are the practice sessions on Mondays?
Is it possible to view previous races?

And thanks for the link to race etiquette I forgot to ask that question.

BK

Post by BK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Monday nights are general after 8pm.

Not all replays are up on the server, however you could spectate on a race night if you want and get a feel of what happens.

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Here's what happens race night and welcome.

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Im on on Sunday afternoons often. Its a good time to practice and play

ArcticBlue

Post by ArcticBlue » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:20 pm

So I turned up to practice earlier tonight. I was ArcticBlue, the one doing significantly slower lap times. It was impressive to see the times you were doing and taking a lap in your cars. Hopefully I didn't cause too many problems, I think I'd mostly crashed off the track whenever I was caught up, a bit worried about holding the rest of you up and thinking about that was enough for me to stuff it up.

Good to see how much I have to improve. Just more practice I think.

Oh and Jonesy you sent me a setup but I never did manage to work out where it ended up so didn't get a chance to try it out. Where do files end up that are sent to you during an online session?

I might try and make it tomorrow night for a bit of spectating.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 pm

When in a session, under the garage tab you can find setups. I believe there's a folder called "Received Setups" or something to that effect. Then just click load and then also make sure to save that setup to the track folder, the received set-ups aren't permanent otherwise.

If you have a microphone you should definitely jump on TeamSpeak. Then questions like this can be asked and answered easily. Most communication is done with TS as well, it's much simpler to push a button and talk than it is to type things out.

Speed definitely comes through practice. But you seemed to be driving good, with the car being well-controlled, and speed will come with time.

Those nerves will disappear too, I remember my first ever online race I was so worried about messing it up for the other guys I promptly binned it in the first corner!