Newbie from WLG

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
mike-vr4

Newbie from WLG

Post by mike-vr4 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:43 am

Hi guys!

I'm Michael from Wellington. Have been looking at getting into racing sims for awhile but finally decided to sell my console and get a decent gaming pc.
Assetto Corsa and iracing look awesome so will probably start with them and maybe check out rfactor eventually.
I'm currently in the process of building my gaming pc. Just wondering what setups you guys have?
Currently all i have is an empty case and a g27 so looking at building from the ground up.
I want to eventually get a z1 dash, triple monitor setup and maybe later on a Simraceway SRW-S1.

Look forward to getting it built and racing!

Cheers!

slobb11

Re: Newbie from WLG

Post by slobb11 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Wow.
Someone posts for help and gets no response for 4 days...
What happened to KSR?

Nice to hear from you Michael!

I'm waiting for Assetto Corsa to develop a little further, then I'll be a bit more active in the sim-racing scene again (work allowing of course).
I think there's quite a few people in the same boat. rFactor started to get a little dated, and the interest wore off for some.

I don't yet know what my rig will be when I make my triumphant return.
Recently, I've been running the AC beta on one of my company media servers (not a permanent solution).
It's an i7 2700k clocked at 4Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz RAM, 1 x GTX660Ti (plus a bunch of slave cards which don't get used by AC), and a RAID0 array of 2 x SSDs.

From my experience, that's plenty of power for AC, unless I try to run 24 AI which causes the CPU to struggle a little. That said, I know that the AI is still being worked on, so hopefully it'll get a bit more efficient at some point.

I also did a small test using my gaming rig (i7 960 at 3.8Ghz, 16GB 1600Mhz RAM, 2 x GTX570 in SLI, 2 x 500GB Caviar Blacks in RAID0) and streaming it to my laptop using Steam In-Home Streaming.
I didn't put any AI in for my tests, but graphically it worked ok at 1080p with pretty much maxed settings.
I also didn't have my wheel (G25) connected, and was just testing using the keyboard. I was mainly testing latency and the quality of the compressed video being sent to the laptop.

Hope that helps, and I look forward to racing with you in the future.

Mike
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

BK

Re: Newbie from WLG

Post by BK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Hey Mike,

Welcome.

Good to hear you have seen the light and taken the right step in to sim racing on a PC! :larf:

My set up is very poor compared to most around here and I still run XP / duo core PC. Because of that I can't look at the AC until I upgrade, but then I'm thinking along the lines of Slob, and there still needs to be some more work on the game before it's league ready.

rFactor is old, however there is still a few of us around that enjoy the racing and while it's here, we make the most of it.

Cheers

BK