Help

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Cobolt

Help

Post by Cobolt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting started again into Sim Racing. I picked up a Logitec Driving Force GT wheel today and have downloaded rFactor. I've used rFactor before but not with a FFB wheel.

I've installed the Logitec software, calibrated the wheel etc fired up rFactor and went driving. I'm only using Demo mode for now. I've turned all driver aides except auto clutch off.

1) I can't seem to save Controller setups. Is this because I'm in Demo mode?
2) When I drive with FFB on it seems to want to steer into the corner by itself and if I let it it keeps going straight into the inside wall. I have is this normal? because if so it seems to be making driving near impossible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hugh

Re: Help

Post by Hugh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 pm

I will be honest here... Everyone here petty much run G25's or better. The wheel you have is
.. Well, not flash... If you can .. 1: Return it. Pay the difference for a G27. 2: Return it, look on trade me for a cheap G25/27. Plenty there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Maniak

Post by Maniak » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 am

Cobolt, you could try setting your force feedback to -100 (or whatever strength works for you). It will make the wheel act normally.

Google 'realfeel for rfactor and dfgt wheel' and take a look at that as well - it'll help too.

Cobolt

Post by Cobolt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks guys,

how big of a difference is there between the DFGT and the G27? is it quantifiable?

Cheers

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 am

I was running a DFGT before upgrading to a G27. There are definitely improvements with the G27, but I wouldn't consider the DFGT bad, especially considering it's only half the price of the G27.

The pedals are about the only thing that's truly not so good with the DFGT, but chucking foam of some kind under the pedals will stiffen the feel and improve drive-ability.

Check out this video for a foam mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rbwsQPZvys (doesn't void the warranty or anything like that.)

On the wheel, the G27 feels slightly smoother in rotation, and is slightly quieter as well than the DFGT. The DFGT has a whole bucketload of buttons on the wheel though, which I actually kind of miss. The paddle shifters on the G27 are extruded and much more comfortable than the little buttons on the back of the DFGT wheel. On the whole though, I found the DFGT wheel pretty good.

The G27 also comes with an H-pattern shifter, if that interests you.

I guess I'll say this: I don't regret purchasing the DFGT first, and using it for about a year and a half before upgrading to the G27. I don't regret the upgrade either. :) If you know that you enjoy sim-racing, and are going to be doing it for a while, then I'd absolutely recommend the G27.

That's my two cents anyway. Hope it helps.

Also, there's tons of videos on youtube comparing the two wheels, which might be worth looking at a few of them.

Cobolt

Post by Cobolt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 am

Great feedback, Thanks Jonesy.

I feel much better about it now. I had thought I'd use this one for a while and consider upgrading at a later date if I stick with it.

Cheers.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:18 am

I started with a Logitech Momo wheel. Once I was hooked on sim racing I moved to a G25, and Obutto race frame, and upgraded the pc. I couldn't see the point forking out a shit-ton of money on the flash gear when I wasn't sure sim racing was going to be me.

Cobolt

Post by Cobolt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks Maniak,

I've loaded a custom FFB dll and all is good.

Cheers.