Gamers cat like reactions saves the day!

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
Yoda_NZ

Gamers cat like reactions saves the day!

Post by Yoda_NZ » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:46 am

It was a little frosty down here last night. So much so that most of the hail which fell last night at 11pm was still on the ground first thing this morning. Unfortunately the hail which did melt just froze where it was. Checking out the driveway this morning was like walking over a sheet of ice with marbles on the top.

Therefore I bravely decided not to ride my motorbike to work and took the car. Luckily quite a lot of the road was clear. Unfortunately the tight left hander at my second intersection was not. The glass like surface was devoid of grip. There was an instant loss of traction at the rear wheels with just enough friction on the front wheels to swing the car around into a snap oversteer.

Thankfully my years of simracing experience immediately took over. Before you could utter a four letter word that rhymed duck full opposite was applied and with feather like touches on the throttle the problem was arrested and a perfect drift around the corner was completed. The car entering the coming straight with a balanced grace and eagerness to do it again.

While this is an everyday winters event for my more southern neighbours. It should be noted that this happened at an eye watering 10 kph, with cars parked on either side of the road and I was driving a Commodore stationwagon, not typically known for its agility or responsive handling.

Despite what my wife says about the value of simracing, or in her terms "playing games" on the computer. This confirms the importance for us to practice every week and keep up our skills. For someday it may save a life or an expensive repair bill.

That being said I am grateful that my wife was not in the car. Firstly her screaming may have damaged my hearing but more so because she didn't see the grin on my face after the near faultless application of skill and bravery.

It is worth noting that had this happen to a lessor mortal (some who hasn't raced at KiwiSimRacing) it would have been a catastrophe. But then again the gigantic ensuing fireball would have at least melted the ice. I suppose there would be some benefit in that.

Keep safe out there!

BK

Re: Gamers cat like reactions saves the day!

Post by BK » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 am

Brillant...:larf: :larf: :larf: :larf:

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 pm

ahaha _b

Maniak

Post by Maniak » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Next time - ensure there is a news camera nearby to capture the grace and skill!! _b

chanchan126

Post by chanchan126 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

you're the man!