Assetto Corsa + Oculus Rift = I wish I had money!!

Discuss new sims, mods, tracks and sim software/hardware
zimmie10

Assetto Corsa + Oculus Rift = I wish I had money!!

Post by zimmie10 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:59 am

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Mines coming in the next week or two :)

Riftcreator

Re: Assetto Corsa + Oculus Rift = I wish I had money!!

Post by Riftcreator » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:07 pm

So much want, so little money :(

kerryland

Re:

Post by kerryland » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Bold wrote:Mines coming in the next week or two :)
Envy. Mine's estimated mid-late June :-(

gilby

Post by gilby » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:33 am

This may be worth to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZL8hDNsHpM

I have mine setup with rfactor, Samsung galaxy S4 with USB cable. image quality is between DK1 and DK2. Head Tracking do work.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:19 pm

I've just tried the Oculus Rift with the new iRacing release. Wow! It's awesome.

Project Cars is very good too, although I've had the odd crash, and pCars still has annoying bugs like destroying my single player save game and resetting my career!

AC is showing great promise, and it's very close, but it's got a little way to go. Right now Rift isn't working for me at all, and I have no idea why not. I think I turned something too far down? Might have to reset my settings.

I spent some time getting rFactor 1 hooked up with Rift using VorpX, but it's (as you might expect) pretty nasty, and the head-tracking is horrific.

Funnily enough Race07 looks great even though it's only displayed on a simulated projector screen, and has no head-tracking or stereoscopic display. (I play Race07 with my father because it's easy for him to navigate, and it runs well on his old PC).

Anyway, I'm becoming more impressed the more I use it. My motion sickness is lessening as I convince my brain that it's all quite normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

I will be skipping the next rFactor season. There's only so much time to play, and flat-screen rFactor 1 can't compete with my shiny new immersive toy. The sensation of "being there", especially in an open-wheeler, is awesome.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:31 pm

I've managed to get assetto running ok with my 970, but without having the menus in vr it's a pain to play, and it also crashes at the end of every career race. I'm going to leave it to the next patch.

I'm loving project cars in the rift. I'm just at the end of formula rookie in my career. Love the open wheelers. A couple of things are starting to annoy me though, like the lack of control in the pits, and the kamikaze AI.. I'm not expecting anymore patches for p cars, since they have announced the sequel..

Rfactor 1 is way too long in the tooth for me. I'm hanging out for the next dirt rally patch with its promised vr support!

kerryland

Re:

Post by kerryland » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:56 am

Bold wrote:'m loving project cars in the rift. I'm just at the end of formula rookie in my career. Love the open wheelers.
Make sure you backup your game file (default.sav) regularly. I lost my entire career a few days ago.

+1 to open wheelers. Think I'm going to get into the Skip Barber series in iRacing.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 am

kerryland wrote:There's only so much time to play, and flat-screen rFactor 1 can't compete with my shiny new immersive toy. The sensation of "being there", especially in an open-wheeler, is awesome.
As an example, when cornering I now physically lean over the edge of the cockpit and look down at the wheel and see precisely where I'm hitting the corner. It's brilliant!

Don't worry. I'll shut up about it now. I'm just trying to indicate how big a change it is.