Ownership of heat?

godfather

Ownership of heat?

Post by godfather » Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 pm

I guess I'll get the ball rolling....

Who ''owns'' heat? By that I mean, in the event that somebody else wants to set up another server, who, if anyone, says yes or no to whether they are allowed to.

Does an individual have ownership of all or part of the game, copyrights held etc?

2LO

Re: Ownership of heat?

Post by 2LO » Fri May 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Technically it's DirtNZ's game as he built the lot in 05,which then got upgraded to 06 then further on to 08 with Ratman doing the latest skin packs/upgrades etc etc.

So really its a community effort built game but rightful owner IMO is DirtNZ
:cflag: Tramac is for getting there, Dirt is for Racing
:cflag: Pitcrew 43c Streetstock
This Guy is SO Awesome

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri May 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Any community or any person can Host a server for the game. Owner details really only becomes a problem if you modify or change any of the game or the game content.

elmo

Post by elmo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:11 am

Bull wrote:Any community or any person can Host a server for the game. Owner details really only becomes a problem if you modify or change any of the game or the game content.
not being a ahole .wasnt heat origanaly modified from nascar heat,so at aguess no one in nz actualy owns rights to it
ripping is racing if u dont like it i dont really care

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:42 am

nascar heat is the game engine that the mod was created for... same as rfactor

In theory the person that did the mod, made the models, put it together owns the rights... it's his work...

When I did heat08 I got his permission to alter the mod...

Its a bit like the KDSR stockcar mod... correct me if i'm wrong here tho...
We were aloud to do skins updates but not alter anything else... even tho some here did work on it
hence why the KSS mod was born and made from scratch, new models, new physics etc etc...

If someone spends hundreds or even thousands of hours making a mod then yes they do have ownership of it, its there work... rippping other peoples work and calling it your own is also not on...

So Stockcar heat belongs to Dirtnz as its his dedicated work that brought it about and people that want to alter it have to get his permission and that includes putting skins in the game as the templates were never publicly released.

As far as I know I am the only one that at present has permission from Dirt to alter the game/mod files...

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:31 am

Soo with the altering game files to possibly host a dedicated server is rubbish...
if that is the case and people do do it you can't punish the "server hoster" as he won't even be playing heat, hence the name "dedicated", or are yous saying it's the people who race on the server will be punished as you are not allowed to alter the game files or what not.. ??

Also, if we downloaded certain files that over wright nascar heat/stockcar heat08 file which adds on files for example cars etc..
and tracks etc... is this a class of altering game files even though the files are already alterd by "mysterious man" and then downloaded to over write the stockcar heat file,
If so are there consequences for those who download them or host the download, or both?
just wondering...
-FAT$O

evil89

Post by evil89 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:37 pm

big can of worms...........
man muzz you starting to get technical,
gonna need a lawyer .........hehehe
glen eagles driver 74c

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:01 pm

evil89 wrote:big can of worms...........
man muzz you starting to get technical,
gonna need a lawyer .........hehehe
Lool, i have a lot to ask because i want to know what i'm doing right or wrong lol...
-FAT$O

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:08 pm

quite simply your not alowd to alter the mod files in any way other then what can be changed when you are actually playing the game...
Also, if we downloaded certain files that over wright nascar heat/stockcar heat08 file which adds on files for example cars etc..
and tracks etc... is this a class of altering game files even though the files are already alterd by "mysterious man" and then downloaded to over write the stockcar heat file,
unless done by someone that has permission to alter the mod then that is classed as file altering and since the templates have never been publicly released then adding cars in means you are altering files...

you can add tracks as they go in the run folder and shared by all mods

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Theres actually a post similar to this happening in the KSS Forum which has pretty much got what is and isn't allowed, might pay to have a read on that if you have some spare time. Link Here

stoodlee15b

Post by stoodlee15b » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 pm

So you can make new tracks?
Stoods

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:45 pm

if you want...

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

But but but, In the nascar heat advanced text, there is nothing that states you are not allowed to do this etc.. it actually lists a bunch of stuff you can do, for example, section 4 is very interesting if you understand it.
And "stockcar heat" is in the nascar heat folder so must come under the nascar heat guide lines etc...?
So basically the mod is open to any to edit under the "nascar heat" mods etc etc. O_o

Also if you are not using mod launcher2 or what ever, i think you do have to edit the game (options.cfg) file to host a "dedicated" server??
-FAT$O

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm

so Muzz I hear you are going to rip Dirtnz's stockcar heat mod....

Changing peoples hard work without permission from the makers of the mod just shows how imature you really are... (polite version)

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Ratman wrote:so Muzz I hear you are going to rip Dirtnz's stockcar heat mod....

Changing peoples hard work without permission from the makers of the mod just shows how imature you really are... (polite version)
You maybe correct, no copyrights are actually on the game, so i don't see why i can't do it...
Oh yeah, very imature... "if that's how you spell it rat lol..
-FAT$O

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Muz59w wrote:
Ratman wrote:so Muzz I hear you are going to rip Dirtnz's stockcar heat mod....

You maybe correct, no copyrights are actually on the game, so i don't see why i can't do it...
Oh yeah, very imature... "if that's how you spell it rat lol..
You may as well bugger off and join KDSR & NZOLR or whatever they call themselves now adays if you wanna do that kinda stuff _b

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Aw why's that?? :crazy: It's not effecting anyone? or is it to you bull?? O_o
-FAT$O

Ugmo

Post by Ugmo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Thats cool Muz, Anything you do I will rip out and call my own and then see how you feel about it? You will no doubt try to claim it as yours but I will call it mine.

It doesnt have to have a copyright on it to make it intellectual property, and intellectual property is covered under copyright law :)
Radioshack/Livestrong Racing 10gb
Team GB with Cottie, PnPete, Fangin_it and Metal666
Also the greatest driver never to win anything at KSR ever

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Sweet as, I'm sure you know of my site already, will be releasing the new version soon, then you can edited it and put it under your name (;

Oh ok then alg, if it doesn't need one, it doesn't need the "oh you can't do this, you can't do that"
:D
-FAT$O

Murdock

Post by Murdock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:32 pm

all i have to say is you go put ll the hard work into making a game then il right fully clain it as myne......start from scratch
build your chassis and everything.....why take some1s hard work and change things and claim as everyboadys?
:censored: ill come to your house and take all your stuff......oh but technicaly it dosent have a copyright. look just think i no you wouldnt like it to you so why do it to dirt?
do to one as you wish to have done to man
Osama Bin laden world hide and seek champion 99-2011

.....⌐¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¬.....
._//__R3223R__\\_.
/O¤O\ ______ /O¤O\
\¯¯¯¯| RB..RB |¯¯¯¯/
/_/OO\______/OO\_\

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 pm

ugmo wrote:Thats cool Muz, Anything you do I will rip out and call my own and then see how you feel about it? You will no doubt try to claim it as yours but I will call it mine.

It doesnt have to have a copyright on it to make it intellectual property, and intellectual property is covered under copyright law :)
yip _b

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Well lets stop right there, basically I'm not renaming the mod and saying i built it etc.. It's more a newer version of it...
If you are saying that, why isn't the owner coming to me about it, i wouldn't back up the owner and his/hers hard work, if his/her doesn't care about it anymore... i would just be in my opinion, "ha did this, it took me ages, moving on" so why say "but all this hard work" etc... O_o
Lol that would be funny... his advice is not working as i haven't yet got a reply as why i should go lol...
-FAT$O

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 pm

mmm well shows what you know... Dirtnz made the mod, I altered the mod to 08 version with his permission so you are going to alter my work so yes I am telling you about it...

but you do not seem to want to listen... as far as I know I am the only one with permission from Dirtnz to alter the mod...

oh and maybe you should read the terms and conditions when you installed the game about altering files

Muz59w

Post by Muz59w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Yes i know, my 6 year old sister would know that....

I tend to alter that statement, you may have permission but who is to say you can't get your own permission ;) ?

Oh maybe i should, that's pending on how i got the file "stockcar08"...
I think i received it via msn then put it into the nascar heat folder,
so i skipped all the t & c and never knew about it till this date rat
-FAT$O

booker

Post by booker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:03 pm

Here we go guys this is how much a ripoff this guys is waiting for new version so he can rip that off to

Booker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LONG LIVE THE GOAT