NZNL - InSPire.net Season 5 - Race 3 - ThunderBay

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Chequers

Post by Chequers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:22 am

Snake Rogers wrote:
Side note: GREGORY if you race like that in every race you will find yourself racing by yourself most of the time because no one will want to race with ya....just ask you dad. " i hope he is not teaching you to drive mate as i believe you are much better than that"

Regards:
RIPPED
Good on ya Snake, shooting fron the hip again. It wouldn't have occurred to you that Gregory just might have been having some trouble. And he was. He was leading that race a few laps before the first round of pit stops. However in the last two races he has had a problem where the top speed of the car starts to flucuate within the top 20-25mph of the speed limit. In the case of Thunder Bay where the running speed is about 245mph his car was dropping down to 220mph and running inconsistantly at speeds above that. We haven't a clue what might be wrong and in over 4 years of online racing have never had this problem.
Maybe someone on the forum knows about this problem and could perhaps tell us how to fix it.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:23 am

Skuzzlebutt wrote:Then WHAM! My slow car was unavoidabley nailed by an orange and yellow Toyota Prius :D Sorry bout that Prom. Nasty thing to happen upon as you come round the corner at 240mph.
It's the extra battery pack I carry that helped my momentum to plow thru you :D If only I was getting as good fuel efficiency in my race car as I have in real life, I would've only needed 2 pit stops.

But a good race. A couple of grey hairs with some people taking an unusual line into the pits - i.e: through me. And some interesting conversations with people regarding drafting, or lack of.

Perhaps it's time to remind some people about drafting with someone helps both you and them ? And if you're the following car and you pick up speed, take your foot off the gas rather than just mush your way past ??

Good track though, nice choice committee _b Would've been interesting to see the carnage with so many cars on 8Bowl.
YouTube videos

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:57 am

It wasn't a bad race for me. It wasn't a particularly easy track to hold a good line and draft quickly on, but there are certainly some people that could do this a whole lot better...

I only got caught up in one ding last night, when one of the new Voda drivers decided he wanted get a bit closer to Mattly, right in front of me. I'm pretty happy with the result after that though, and very suprised to have even finished on the lead lap :)

Good finish Eagle, certainly made that last lap quite exciting, bad luck the line wasn't about another 2 meters down the track :p

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:21 am

What a banger >_<

Replays are up.. please protest away _b

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:26 am

Chequers wrote: Good on ya Snake, shooting fron the hip again. It wouldn't have occurred to you that Gregory just might have been having some trouble. And he was. He was leading that race a few laps before the first round of pit stops. However in the last two races he has had a problem where the top speed of the car starts to flucuate within the top 20-25mph of the speed limit. In the case of Thunder Bay where the running speed is about 245mph his car was dropping down to 220mph and running inconsistantly at speeds above that. We haven't a clue what might be wrong and in over 4 years of online racing have never had this problem.
Maybe someone on the forum knows about this problem and could perhaps tell us how to fix it.

Snake was not the only one complaining about the blocking and lack of drafting from Gregory last night, he was just the only one that stood up and said something. No need to go over it again, go back to the Oval Racing Advice Thread and read it again because from the comments I heard on Ventrilo it doesn't seem to have sunk in.

I caught Gregory later in the race and it appeared he was having problems because he was going quite slow. In the past when I have come up behind slow drivers who are having issues but are trying to stay out there and finish the race, they stay right out of the way, usually at the top of the track off the racing line, Marty is a good example of this. When I came up behind Gregory, he did not block me but appeared to make it as difficult as possible for me to get past and I had to dive under him and pray that he didn't totally squeeze me out as he appeared to be doing instead of staying way out of the way as Marty tries to do in these circumstances. I saw him move down toward the racing line and I think it was only the fact that he misjudged just how much quicker than him I was going that he did not shut me out before I could get under him forcing him to give me room.

Now I know you will come back and say this was not his intention, and I can believe that, but we have complained about this before and as you can tell from Snakes comments and the fact that others were complaining on Ventrilo that this is how his driving appears to others. Time to sort it out because he is a fast driver with the potential to win races, but people are not helping him and avoiding him because of the lines he drives, his inibilty to draft with others and what appears to be intentional blocking.

On the subject of his speed problems last night, it sounds like the old MOMO 10% brake on or not getting full throttle issues. Do you use a MOMO? If so you need to do the MOMO fix because it will just keep doing it once it has started. I have found in the past when it happened to me that I had to pit and whilst the pit was going on I would unplug the pedals from the back of the wheel, plug it back in and then jump into options, recalibrate steering and pedals and get back out there. This would fix the brake sticking or lack of throttle, usually to the end of the race but sometimes I would need to do it twice in a race.

I'll have to find the old links to how you physically fix this problem although many of the guys have had to do it and may be able to post a quick description on how this is done.
Inspector

---

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:32 am

Good on ya Snake.

;p

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:24 pm

Chequers wrote:
Snake Rogers wrote:
Side note: GREGORY if you race like that in every race you will find yourself racing by yourself most of the time because no one will want to race with ya....just ask you dad. " i hope he is not teaching you to drive mate as i believe you are much better than that"

Regards:
RIPPED
Good on ya Snake, shooting fron the hip again. It wouldn't have occurred to you that Gregory just might have been having some trouble. And he was. He was leading that race a few laps before the first round of pit stops. However in the last two races he has had a problem where the top speed of the car starts to flucuate within the top 20-25mph of the speed limit. In the case of Thunder Bay where the running speed is about 245mph his car was dropping down to 220mph and running inconsistantly at speeds above that. We haven't a clue what might be wrong and in over 4 years of online racing have never had this problem.
Reaction out of proportion to problem in absence of full information, classic guilty until proven innocent, it appears.

No doubt I'll be the next attack victim for sticking my nose in where it don't belong, but tough bicks...

Tell Gregory is he wants to race and focus on Fun, to give OWR a try. :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Good response Sulley........not.

If you had been there you would have heard more than one person complaining about his driving so don't point any fingers especially when you were not even there to know what was happening. And what make your comments even more annoying is...
Sulley wrote:Reaction out of proportion to problem in absence of full information....
Which if I'm not mistaken is exactly what you have just done?

Yes you may be right, OWR is probably a lot more fun, no chance of getting into any frustrating situations with only 4 cars out there. None of us are perfect Sulley, but we have tried to point out where we can obvious issues and offer advice to people where we see the need. If the problems continue then obviously people are going to get upset and respond with posts in the forum. If the accused want to respond then we are on the way to getting the problem aired and possibly resolved.

Whereas your post did nothing to help either party or any of us. It is admirable that you wish to stick up for young Gregory but you must understand that there is an issue with his driving in the league and if he doesn't listen to the advice of senior drivers then things will just get worse and we end up with the same problem we had with Chequers.
Last edited by Inspector on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspector

---

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:58 pm

Chequers rang me this morning to discuss the speed/pedal problems - and it definitely sounds like the usual MOMO problems so if anyone can dig out some details of a fix that would be appreciated and I can pass them on.

famin

Post by famin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:04 pm

I saw Chequers at lunchtime and arranged to fix his pedals over the weekend (given it IS that problem).

Im also doing arrans as well so if you can give me a time arran Ill co-ordinate the two of you and we can have a good old bitch session together!!! :D

or is this an excuse for a mini lan... X20?
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:11 pm

And it should be noted that the complaints about Gregory came from the begining of the race when there was obviously no problem with his pedals considering his qual position. It was all about how he drove during the early stages off the race before the problems started so don't go confusing the two seperate issues.

I for one am more than willing to offer (and recieve) advice so I am not willing to hear about people picking on him. Sometimes you just have to get angry with people before they sit up and take notice.
Inspector

---

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:17 pm

famin wrote:or is this an excuse for a mini lan... X20?
Could well be...... so long as I don't get mugged and have my (touch wood) working momo pedals stolen! :D

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:08 pm

Snake, the only reason you had 1st with 10 laps to go was because I me being taken out ;p

And on Gregory, as others have said, there seemed to be no problem at the beginning of the race when he was leading, but everytime Snake and the cars behind him would try and pass him low, he would come and block the low line.

I have to ask Gregory; I know you use Ventrillo, but do you use it to listen only? No one can be made aware of your problem if you do not speak. That is the main reason most of us are in the main channel.
Odie

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:45 pm

Not much luck for the Monsters again this week with another disco, this time MarkR, but A GREAT win to Odie _b _b
Good comeback to 11th for Riven and my ninth keeps us in second spot in the teams race.
Second and third in the main points is not bad for Monsters either :)

I like this track, it is 100% concentration, if you get a bit slack those walls can catch you out never mind the pitstops :D

Drafting and pitting were extremely important as well, up until the 1st pitstop I was going well, lost a bit of time pitting but picked up a reasonable draft for the next 2 stints, what really changed my race was the lack of a good draft on my 4th stint, at one stage I was pulling away from 4 other cars who were "drafting" but going a lot slower than me, enough has been said about who and what has happened but I just wish to say that drafting on these sort of tracks works both ways, it's a sort of I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine, if you know what I mean :)

Roll on Chicagoland _b

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:16 pm

Chequers wrote:

I'm sorry to say Chequers that the pedal problem was not the problem, it was his blocking cars on purpose that is the main problem. We were racing for posistion, I was going in to pit and drop down below the yellow line on the back straight, so did Gregory, to block me when he realised, he moved back up onto the racing line. He also nearly caused a couple of crashes cutting down the track in front of me to block me.

Dont get me wrong, I think he is a very fast driver and deserves a chance, but when he is doing the same thing in every race its going to start causing problems.

If someone can host, I will make a very short movie of these incidents so he can watch it and see what I mean. He might learn by it. If he doesnt learn, it wont be long before he starts getting pushed off the track.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:31 pm

Inspector wrote:Good response Sulley........not.

If you had been there you would have heard more than one person complaining about his driving so don't point any fingers especially when you were not even there to know what was happening. And what make your comments even more annoying is...
Sulley wrote:Reaction out of proportion to problem in absence of full information....
Which if I'm not mistaken is exactly what you have just done?

Yes you may be right, OWR is probably a lot more fun, no chance of getting into any frustrating situations with only 4 cars out there. None of us are perfect Sulley, but we have tried to point out where we can obvious issues and offer advice to people where we see the need. If the problems continue then obviously people are going to get upset and respond with posts in the forum. If the accused want to respond then we are on the way to getting the problem aired and possibly resolved.

Whereas your post did nothing to help either party or any of us. It is admirable that you wish to stick up for young Gregory but you must understand that there is an issue with his driving in the league and if he doesn't listen to the advice of senior drivers then things will just get worse and we end up with the same problem we had with Chequers and with Doug..........whoops, are we talking the same family here........
mmm..the bicks are tough :D

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Inspector wrote:
Yes you may be right, OWR is probably a lot more fun, no chance of getting into any frustrating situations with only 4 cars out there. ........
The absence of any DuDs dont hurt neither :D

And as to Flyboy's last message re dealing with problem drivers by pushing them off the track, frankly I for one think you have bigger problems in Your league than one young driver with apparent racing etiquette issues. O_o

I admit I went off a bit half-cocked, sorry, I just hate to see people being singled out and abused, there has to be a better way, has anyone tried the one on one personal approach for example.

Failing that there are rules and regs that cover unresolvable behaviour, if that's proved, continued attacks, advice not heeded or problems resolved via the forum just don't get you anywhere, and ulitmately drive ppl away.

That is part of my explanation for not racing ovals anymore, there is more to it than that but I seriously doubt exploring those further in a public forum will serve any useful purpose. Note: Some of these are my own issues which are my problem, not the least of which being continual lousy racing results.

Wanting to discuss issues, give advice etc in the forum is well and good but sometimes I still feel it does more harm than good, its just too impersonal and open to misue and misinterpretation.

I hope that clarifies some things and demonstrates where I'm coming from, at least it shows my intentions are good, if they are misconstrued then I've probably proven my earlier point if nothing else.

Lol what a dissertation, I've probably said too much already, if you want to continue this discussion offline Inspector I would be happy to.

Chequers

Post by Chequers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:00 pm

Inspector wrote:And it should be noted that the complaints about Gregory came from the begining of the race when there was obviously no problem with his pedals considering his qual position. It was all about how he drove during the early stages off the race before the problems started so don't go confusing the two seperate issues.
Well, I can't believe that you were serious when you wrote that.

The inference is that if you are leading the race you may not defend your position. I was spotting for Gregory last night. At the start of the race he out muscled Snake to take 2nd place and DRAFTED with JBR until he made a small error. JBR drifted a little high and Gregory (reluctantly,I might add) assumed the lead. At the time I suggested to Gregory that he should let JBR resume the lead because at the beginning of the race it is better to draft than to lead. But to do so Gregory would have had to take the high line behind JBR and he would have then been swamped by the freight train on the low line and would have (maybe) been shuffled way back in the pack. So, he made the right choice and took the lead. In that position he expected that whoever was drafting directly behind him (in this instance I think it was Happy, who was a lap down!) would likewise sit in the draft (AFTER ALL THAT IS WHAT YOU EXPECT GREGORY TO DO) and wait for Gregory to make a mistake and then take over the lead of the draft. But, oh no, Happy wasn't going to do that. He poked and prodded until he finally punted Gregory off. All of this was going on at 241-245mph, hardly a speed at which one conceeds his position to any challenger. That is the way it was. Put any slant on it that you like but Gregory was leading the race and protecting his position which he would have conceeded at the first pit stop.
My suggestion to the people who are critical of his driving is that they should take their own advice and in the early part of the race drive patiently in the draft and wait for the chance to advance in the draft as the opportunities present themselves. You can hardly expect Gregory to drive in the prescribed way if you don't do it yourself.

I will answer the criticisms of his driving when he was having wheel/pedal problems later in the race if you guys persist in picking on him. Suffice to say that he was trying to keep out of everyones way AND do the best for his team in difficult circumstances. If you can find fault with that you are beyond reasoning with. :ffs:

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:56 pm

Again another good race night, except for a white car on lap 20? Never mind. Couldn't sleep till 3 am, adrenaline or 2 coffes, shaged out now!
Next week.
ANGUS

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:31 pm

Chequers wrote: But, oh no, Happy wasn't going to do that. He poked and prodded until he finally punted Gregory off. All of this was going on at 241-245mph, hardly a speed at which one conceeds his position to any challenger. That is the way it was. Put any slant on it that you like but Gregory was leading the race and protecting his position which he would have conceeded at the first pit stop.
mmm, i'd like to know what lap this happened on? did anyone else see this incident in question?
:>

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:50 pm

Re: the gregory / wheel issues posts :)

If gregory had a problem with his wheel / pedals, then why not post in here when it started ? everyone in this forum is more than willing to help with problems people may be having.

As for defending your line, there is no rule that says you can't defend your line, or even hog the low line near the start of the race. Gregory is well entitled to sit his car on the bottom of the track. It is up to the following drivers to go around if they feel they are being held up.

If you are in fact slower than the cars behind you while you are actualy in the draft (ie: you had pedal problems) then it is in your best interests to move out of the way as you will harm your reputation of sportsmanship on the track and drivers will most likely not draft with you in the future.

Talking in the forums to other drivers is a good idea, some drivers do not partake in the conversations enough, particularly those whom people are complaining about, Gregory rarely posts in the nascar threads so you can't blame people for getting a little anoyed at him when they complain about his driving style.

:)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

mikool

Post by mikool » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:11 pm

Sulley and Chequers.

you are not even in the league ... so bugger off

Let Gregory speak for himself.... Let him explain what he does...

thanks all i have to say really...
Mikool...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:14 pm

mikool wrote:Sulley and Chequers.

:mosh: :D
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:19 pm

You really don't have any idea what he was doing wrong do you?
You can't just cut down on the inside when someone is about to get a run on the inside line especially when you are in the lead and it's only the first few laps...wtf is up with that!!!!!
I would suggest that you let gregory do the driving and you step away from the computer Grab yourself a cookie and chill out and watch reruns of shortland street, And let gregory learn how to drive in a manner that will not cause carnage with unnecessary results to the ppl around him.
All he needs to do mate is ask us what he was doing wrong and we will help him as i said earlier he as the speed to do very well!!

;)
Last edited by Snake Rogers on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wah Wah Wah

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

mikool wrote:Sulley and Chequers.

Oh I will certaintly follow your instructions Mikool, right after It is made clear that you any legitimate right to offer them or enforce them.

I have more to say and YOU will not stop me from offering my opinion in a public forum, note I am not the one swearing at ppl or making personal attacks, so I suggest you look to your own posting.

Just chill :cool: