NZNL - InSPire.net Season 5 - Race 3 - ThunderBay

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
mikool

Post by mikool » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:23 pm

now that post sounds like something inspector would say...
Mikool...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:26 pm

mikool wrote:now that post sounds like something inspector would say...
Good, that's a compliment for both Inspector and Myself, cheers, but did you get the message I wonder.... ;)
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:36 pm

Before things get a bit to heated round here would suggest we wait for the server replay to be uploaded, at least then everyone can see ALL the vehicles on the track and look at more than just a few isolated incidents

As with protests you look at the previous few laps to see lines and were people make common openings, want to sit on the fence on this one at the moment as I cant see the incidents in my replay so will reserve opinion

Remember its a game and we're all hopefully friends around here :D

edit opps the replays are up....downloading edit

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:51 pm

No no Jetho , we want to see a fight >8D~!
:>

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:53 pm

Happy wrote:No no Jetho , we want to see a fight >8D~!
I dont fight unarmed opponents Happy. :p

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:14 am

First of all well done to team Google and especially Mikool and excellent turn around in form well done.To Viking whom was drafting me for a few laps sorry clipped the wall running high.
Later on after braking hard to avoid accidents(story of my race) a few laps later lost control (Tyres must have gone because of the braking) and someone ran into me dont know whonm it was ) then later near the end same again and a near miss,I owe Snake Rogers a pacemaker.
One problem I noticed was that I turned my lock up to 30 or 32 in the vr concept league it was good,in the Inspire league once i fell behind(avoiding acidents) and gave way to drafting trains,I went high but kept speed but coming out of the turns I was getting squashed into the wall after a few times I backed off a little to let the drafters through before the exit of the turn thats where things went sour with the loss of speed and line i had a problem of getting round without hitting the wall after a few hits tyres go.
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:59 am

Happy wrote:
Chequers wrote: But, oh no, Happy wasn't going to do that. He poked and prodded until he finally punted Gregory off. All of this was going on at 241-245mph, hardly a speed at which one conceeds his position to any challenger. That is the way it was. Put any slant on it that you like but Gregory was leading the race and protecting his position which he would have conceeded at the first pit stop.
mmm, i'd like to know what lap this happened on? did anyone else see this incident in question?
Just nosied at the replay. Lap 29, 21m 27s.

I'd call that one a fault by both drivers.
Gregory is in the second lane and moves down into Happy who is alongside (and has been for the whole turn).
However, at the same time, Happy drifts up the track from the first lane and meets Gregory who is on his way down.

Splat.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:08 am

famin wrote:I saw Chequers at lunchtime and arranged to fix his pedals over the weekend (given it IS that problem).

Im also doing arrans as well so if you can give me a time arran Ill co-ordinate the two of you and we can have a good old bitch session together!!! :D

or is this an excuse for a mini lan... X20?
I'll consult the handbrake and trainee handbrakes and let you know :D

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:35 am

Part of the issue as I see it is the concept of drafting and racing.

If you draft with the car in front of you, the two of you will go quicker than other people weaving all over the road. But some people find it difficult to draft with another car when they see it's for a position and think it is important.

Those people I've seen that draft well aren't always trying to overtake the car in front - they work with their opponent in front of them. Even to the point of backing off into a corner if the car in front has slowed dramatically.

But some people don't do this - they simply see the position in front of them must be taken, and will squeeze past at every opportunity. Or block at every opportunity.

And that's where ventrillo is fabulous, because you don't need to try to read the drivers' mind - all you need to do is decipher the intent amongst all the swearing :D
YouTube videos

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 am

Judging by the sheer amount of weaving on Thunderbay (in both leagues), I don't think it's surprising that people were "racing instead of drafting". ;p

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:08 am

Chequers wrote:The inference is that if you are leading the race you may not defend your position.
It would appear you have missed the entire trick to oval racing.

The whole idea of the first 95% of an oval race is to get yourself in a good position for the last 5% of the race. What this means, is that there is little point in fighting for one or two places during the earlier parts of the race, you only need to try and keep in the lead bunch of cars. By driving defensivly early on, all you are doing is slowing down the cars behind you, and causing frustration for the other drivers. If you loose one or two places here and there who cares, as long as you are in the lead bunch it makes no difference. You say Gregory was doing 240-245 while leading the bunch, where as when I was in a draft with Bazzil and a couple of other cars we were bearly dropping below 250. My point is, if you are at the front of a draft in the first 95% of the race, if you drive good fast lines the cars behind you wont try and pass, you wont need to block, and everyone will be going faster and be happier.

The same applies when you're following cars in the draft. Everytime you move out of the draft of the car in front, for half a second to take a look up the inside, you slow the whole train down, and frustrations build once again. By all means if the car infront makes a mistake, touches the wall or something, then make a move, but otherwise aim to keep directly behind them, as close as possible.

If you are leading the race in the last 10 laps or so, then by all means block, but keep it fair :D

I hope this helps.

Viking

Post by Viking » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:11 pm

4 wide, at only lap 14'ish.

Happy, Happy, Happy, what were ya thinking (He says, hand on forehead, shaking his head) :D
Guess ya had your eyes shut like the paintjob suggests.

Even more interesting as, both Marty and I were only getting back up to speed, and were way off the pace of everyone else. :eek: O_o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Noon416 wrote:
Happy wrote:
Chequers wrote: But, oh no, Happy wasn't going to do that. He poked and prodded until he finally punted Gregory off. All of this was going on at 241-245mph, hardly a speed at which one conceeds his position to any challenger. That is the way it was. Put any slant on it that you like but Gregory was leading the race and protecting his position which he would have conceeded at the first pit stop.
mmm, i'd like to know what lap this happened on? did anyone else see this incident in question?
Just nosied at the replay. Lap 29, 21m 27s.

I'd call that one a fault by both drivers.
Gregory is in the second lane and moves down into Happy who is alongside (and has been for the whole turn).
However, at the same time, Happy drifts up the track from the first lane and meets Gregory who is on his way down.

Splat.
Now I remember!

I do believe that was gregory's fault for coming down into me, I did drift sligtly , but I'm sure it wasn't out of my lane. I'll have a look at my replay, lag may have had something to do with it.
:>

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:49 pm

I love Nascar.
Don't make me destroy you.

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:12 pm

Skuzzlebutt wrote:I love Nascar.
Thats nice ;p
Wah Wah Wah

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:14 pm

I can feel the love in this room right now.
Don't make me destroy you.

Skelo

Post by Skelo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:14 pm

:rolleyes:

My dad is bigger than your dad.

*sigh*
Skelo
V Racing

Danman

Post by Danman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:36 pm

I would like to see some sort of review of the way points are scored - purely out of self interest :D

The problem I have is that I am allways going to be highly likely to miss the odd race due to work. I don't really have any control over this apart from finding another job. With nascar points being what they are, and the length of seasons we run, once you miss one race there is little point turning up for the rest.

In my case before this weeks race I was 10th, now I am in 28th and even with top 10 results in all the remaining races I would be unlikely to get back into the top 20. I think that because we do run short seasons maybe we should have a system of dropping your worst round or something for next season.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses the odd race, and those of you lucky/dedicated enough to make every race will still have the advantage, but it would be nice if there was some way to keep the interest in the lower order

I'm sure this will stir some shit, but I'm never going to be a threat to the championship anyway. :)

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:42 pm

I have no problem with that idea dan _b
Wah Wah Wah

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:22 am

Just wait for the angry Danman, it'll come. Some people really really don't like the idea :rolleyes:
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:02 am

Snake Rogers wrote:I have no problem with that idea dan _b
Tis good. I 2 mis the odd race. :)
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

wide load

Post by wide load » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:13 am

I see Dans point on this, but I think this would help the better drivers get further ahead from the average drivers. I know it is hard for everyone to turn up everyweek but this is life, We have to work to be able to play games like this. I have missed races due to work and yes it is annoying. I think not turning up to a race is like spinning in practice and wrecking your car, not being able to start the race. As Dan normally misses a couple of race's due to his work, will it start at droping only one result then two, three ETC.... Everytime I race I want to see my points count, sometimes I think if I hadnt made that stupid mistake I could have finished higher but I never want my worst result dropped. That would be a waste of time for me racing. This may not help those that have to miss the odd race due to whatever reason but this is a LEAGUE, all points count (Im sure WGTN would like there game last night not to count) but it counts as this is a LEAGUE.

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:20 pm

lot a talk went on pre-season about 4-5 man teams and how to work the points system

http://www.simcentral.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=901

Still yet to complete a full season :rolleyes: so normally just judge how I'm going by comparing myself to others in the league with the same number of race starts as I've had, ie season 3 Bite was the only driver ahead of me with 10 race starts and quite a few below me with 11 and 12 race starts, so considered that I'd done pretty well

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:35 pm

I too would like to see Danmans idea put in place.

You can say it's tuff bikies, but Isn't it better when the competition is close ?

I'd much rather beat my competitor fair and square knowing we competed in the same amount of races with the same chance of winning rather than jumping up and down with glee because I beat them because they missed a race and are a hundred odd points down on me.

Dropping the worst race would be beneficial also to the people who have disconnect problems through no fault of their own.

It's a shame to see people like Odie drop out of the competition slightly because of the crappy interweb drops them.

I don't see how people can feel good about their performance when they beat someone because that person couldn't make the race or got disconnected.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Danman

Post by Danman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Actually thinking about it dropping a round wouldn't work at all unless a no show counted as a round.

I guess it is tough bickies after all :D

As with Jetboy, I tend to judge myself against those with the same amount of race starts.

Of course... if we did the full nascar season with 40-odd races then missing a few wouldn't matter as much. Maybe in the future for short seasons we could award a percentage of the nascar points instead of the full 175 for a win etc. The problem with full nascar points is that someone who comes dead last in a 40 car feild still gains a heap of points over someone who can't make it that week. If we could scale the points back so that last place got say 5 points, then 5 point steps from there up, the lead shouldn't change much but the bottom to mid feild should be much closer.

Just a thought :) I realise of course this would create a hassle over what the game awards by default, and if we move on to something like rfactor it's a moot point anyway