GTR GT league ??2

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR

Should car selection be locked?

Car selection open, drive what you like when you like
61%
Choose two, drive either whenever
17%
Choose two, drive one for the first half, the second for the second half of the league
22%

Total votes: 18

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

GTR GT league ??2

Post by UnbounD » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi there.

Inspector raised some issues with ppl selecting cars to match tracks and I feel that there is some validity to this so we shall ask and see.
"Run Yasmine Run"

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:35 pm

I don't know what most people will do, for me I will just choose one car and race that car for the whole league.
:>

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:36 pm

Why can't we just pick one car and use it for the whole season?
Isn't that what they do in real life?
Thats what I did with the Ferrari

Growler.

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:36 pm

Wow...posting at the same time.
Of course Happy had to be first!

Growler.

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:41 pm

I cant edit the poll, so Vote for the choose 2 cars and change halfway through. You dont have to change :)

I personally only wish to play with two of the gt cars, although I had a quick off line race the other night and the Saleen is drop dead sexy. I thought it was piggy looking till I had too race against it.
"Run Yasmine Run"

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:23 pm

The idea of running other classes like the G2 cars was raised, could we consider that also, there were two or three drivers including myself keen to try Morgans for example, the fast guys will still be the fast guys in the GT cars so maybe some would like other options.

It will make a change from so many likely 550's out there if nothing else :D

In that vane I selected option one as it more closely leaves other classes open.

Selecting the best car for every circuit would be ok as long as everyone knows which one to choose I spose, but like real racing you race for a team with a particular car that has strengths and weaknesses at various tracks and under differing conditions.
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:11 pm

I'll probably be using ze Saleen, since it sounds rather nice >8p

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:27 pm

so far its either the lambo or the vette, but Im just going to have a quick 10 min in the saleen.
"Run Yasmine Run"

famin

Post by famin » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:38 am

The Corvette is a lopvely handling car and very good for short tracks with short straights but it is very down on power cf the lambo 550 saleen etc..
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:00 pm

If it had the grunt I'd be driving the Morgan all the time, aural symphony :D
But the Saleen comes in a close second, just something about the sound of a V8 screaming its nuts off...

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:15 pm

Open the field up for all cars, you must use the same car for the whole season. Swaping cars to get the best car or driving a different car that suits your driving on a certain track is what i think is just cheating.

Theres no motor sport that i know of that you can change cars because you quicker in that one.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:41 pm

Liquid wrote:Open the field up for all cars, you must use the same car for the whole season. Swaping cars to get the best car or driving a different car that suits your driving on a certain track is what i think is just cheating.

Theres no motor sport that i know of that you can change cars because you quicker in that one.
Sounds fair enough to me, if there are a few wanting a sub class in say Morgans that would be cool, luv the sound, if not then corvette or saleen i spose, whatever I agree same car for whole season is the way to go.

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:45 pm

Liquid wrote:Theres no motor sport that i know of that you can change cars because you quicker in that one.
Scummi does that at Ferrari doesn't he?

;)

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:48 pm

Liquid wrote:Theres no motor sport that i know of that you can change cars because you quicker in that one.
Im pretty sure theres no rules that say you cant in most racing. Hardly anyone will do it however due to the amount of money and testing required to get to grips with a whole different car.

Im quite against locking in to a particular car at the start of the season. All the cars are quite different and the car you think feels good at the start of a season might turn out to be a dog, and it would be nice to be able to get rid of it.

I doubt anyone is going to use a different car each race, but they might swap once or twice during the season, as some did between porsche and ferrari in the NGT season.

RedValiant

Post by RedValiant » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:13 pm

there are some makes with only 1 skin, so what happens if everyone wants the same one?
I think it would be great to run classes GT, GT2 etc so morgans can race Seats and GT3s and the big boys can run GT against each other, just like a real endurance race. I had a public race on Oscher last week where my NGT Porsche was midfield against Lambos and 550s and Saleens, it was a blast just to stay on track while faster cars lost it at the front. Mix it up I say, or run the risk of everyone being in a Ferrari.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:29 pm

I don't want people locked to cars. This isn't real racing it's fun racing. Last season I switched between 360 and GT3 depending on which one I found easier to handle on the track. If I found the GT3 a beast to handle on a track I switched to the 360 because it would take me less time to get down to a good pace and be more fun to race rather than fight the car.

It would be interesting to see how a race with mixed classes went. GT and NGT on the circuit. I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be a disaster though :p
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:33 pm

Yes too many rules = cracked off faces.

Last league was good because we didn't have a whole bunch of banger rules.

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:44 am

Fun racing...OK....Can someone tell me how to import the McLaren for F1 Challenge??!!!

Growler.

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:40 am

If we dont have locked in cars ie one for the season then we will have to sort out two things
1 if we are allowed to change cars wont it stuff up the weight handicapping if we bring it in?
2 Will it stuff up the points for the various divisions ie ngt,gt2 gt
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Eagle32 wrote:I don't want people locked to cars. This isn't real racing it's fun racing. Last season I switched between 360 and GT3 depending on which one I found easier to handle on the track. If I found the GT3 a beast to handle on a track I switched to the 360 because it would take me less time to get down to a good pace and be more fun to race rather than fight the car.

It would be interesting to see how a race with mixed classes went. GT and NGT on the circuit. I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be a disaster though :p

I disagree Eagle, whilst I can see the point in not being stuck with what turns out to be a crap car, shouldn't you do a bit of testing before hand to decide which car you are going to race for the series. Personally I think swapping cars to suit a track verges on cheating. You go quick on a track that suits your car and have to fight just that bit harder on a track that doesn't.

What would you say if SimTV and the Dud's for example joined forces and swapped teams each week based upon the driver who is better at a certain track or style of track so that one team always had the the best drivers in it based up the track that was being raced?

I know it is not quite the same but I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make. You have a go with the cars offline, chose the one you like and sign up with it and race. I would concede that maybe everyone could have a second choice car and be allowed to swap to it if the first choice is no good, but you should be then forced to stay with the second car to the end of the series.
Inspector

---

famin

Post by famin » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:29 pm

This is definitely not serious but...

How about assigning each car a monetary value and then giving everyone a capital amount at the start of the season to spend.

you can blow it all on one super car or eke it out on lesser cars that you can add to your garage during the season.

and then we could have monetary penalties and running costs per race that mean that if you didnt look after the car you might even have to miss a race cause of lack of finances.

Couple that with $$ prizes (virtual of course) based on the points (60 points = $60K) and maybe even random sponsorship deals throughout the season for income...

All it would take is a good spreadsheet...

actually, maybe its NOT a silly idea, it would certainly add to the immersion and i know we all want that....

dont we? ;)

Id be up for administering the spreadsheet!
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:08 pm

What about team points? The DuD's are ready to go.

When thinking about this we should note that we are always going to have the bottom end guys drop off but as is the case in the Nascar league, the team competition is all that keeps the interest of some drivers.

Also protests - are we going to have them this season? Some people only learn this way. We have had a series in which to iron out a few bugs and to let issues sort themselves out so I wonder is it time now to start making those who continuosly cause issues to sit up and take notice?
Inspector

---

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Inspector wrote:shouldn't you do a bit of testing before hand to decide which car you are going to race for the series.
Plenty of testing here. I'd conceed the testing is easier second time round because I'm not having to learn the tracks as well. I can now select a couple of tracks that cover all the bases as far as corners and straights etc go to test more easily than was possible in the first season. First time was trickey as I hadn't had time to drive all the tracks with each car to test properly.
Inspector wrote:Personally I think swapping cars to suit a track verges on cheating.

I'd rather be competitive up the front every week by sacrificing a "pure" single car philosophy than have a few off weeks where I'm having real trouble driving a particular car.
Inspector wrote:You go quick on a track that suits your car and have to fight just that bit harder on a track that doesn't.
For me on Brno the difference between GT3 and 360 is about 5s faster in the 360. I've spent more than double the time driving around it in a GT3 than the 360. It's not that the GT3 is actually slower around there when it's setup properly and driven well (famin is as fast in the GT3 as I am in the 360). The GT3 just doesn't suit my driving style there.

I spend on average probably 4hrs+ a week on the GTR server between Thursday and Race day. It takes about that long to get my times down in whichever car I find easier to drive and get the setup sorted. If I spend that long driving a car around a track and I can't get it sorted it's just frustrating.

I'm here for the racing. I'm not enough of a motorsport lover for changing cars to detract from my online racing. Not that I wouldn't race in a hardcore forced inside view, race officials, all flags, all real motorsport rules, all hardcore, all everything league myself... but I think we'd have about 5 drivers :p
Inspector wrote:I know it is not quite the same
Or even remotely similar...
Inspector wrote: but I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make.
...however I do understand your point. I just disagree and I think calling it cheating is just a cheap shot.
Last edited by Eagle32 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:08 pm

I don't hold with the idea that Teams racing for road courses is such a big deal, yes in Ovals no doubt, but with road courses, its more an individual thing, with ppl competing with each other and the track, all down the field.

From what I've seen in GTR to date, there is not a high level of ppl voluntarily leaving the races, or complianing about the enjoyment level, so not convinced that teams will add a lot.

As to the protests side of things, I recall we talked of that coming next time around, and there have been some "incidents" that have caused much debate, so yes that would seem a logical move to me.

Is there any inherent difficulties with a managing aformal protest system in GTR with replays and such, its a lot more work for the committee/organisers and an oft-times thankless job, your call Unbound/Eagle/Liquid and co.....

Both suggestions sound like good POLL questions if nothing else...

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:12 pm

You want to cut a small replay of an incident and post to me, I will look at it :) I like a laugh ;)

If the other Commitee members want to do the same, post too them and we will make a decision. Other than that, thrash it out in here with screen shots.

Driving standard was Very High on the most part for the NGT league, cant see it being any different for GT's.
"Run Yasmine Run"