25%
I don't care either way
15%

Total votes: 20

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Fill in drivers for NASCAR League

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:46 pm

Just to see what you lot think (As well as the committee)

I’m suggesting that a rule amendment should be created for fill-in drivers when drivers are unable to make it due to Family, Study, and Work commitments.

I think it is unfair a team is penalised because of reallife commitments, so this is what I suggest.

A fill-in driver could/must fit the below criteria:

Must have had 1 seasons Nascar experience or be currently competing in the rookie league.

1 hour practice before the race

This will allow teams to still be competitive if a usual driver is unable to compete.

This is just following International FIA regulations where stand-in drivers can compete when other drivers are injured or sick.
:>

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Lewl.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:09 pm

I feel that there should not be a replacement unless the driver has a computer malfunction/breakdown and cannot physically race because of it. Work or personal commitments mean it is just too bad (as happened to Wood and I last season).
Bringing in a driver who has not raced in the InSPire league before could cause a big problem (this is why the rookies are not allowed to race until they have a season in the VR league). A one off driver, even if he has raced before would be out of practice (it takes more than 1 hour to get back in the swing of things).

It would also open up arguments over bringing in "ringers" in the future

Skelo

Post by Skelo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:42 pm

Personally in the interests of promoting a friendly racing community I would suggest that a "ring -in" be one of the privateers or rookies in the first case.
If these are not available then you would have to look further (if you could at all depending on the ruling)

It helps to bring up the standard of racing within the already built community rather than doing it soley for protecting team points.

*Opinion only.
Skelo
V Racing

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:02 pm

TonyG wrote:I feel that there should not be a replacement unless the driver has a computer malfunction/breakdown and cannot physically race because of it. Work or personal commitments mean it is just too bad (as happened to Wood and I last season).
Bringing in a driver who has not raced in the InSPire league before could cause a big problem (this is why the rookies are not allowed to race until they have a season in the VR league). A one off driver, even if he has raced before would be out of practice (it takes more than 1 hour to get back in the swing of things).

It would also open up arguments over bringing in "ringers" in the future
Agreed i would be happy if a no ringer rule was in place, however i believe that the commitee has already allowed a driver change mid season for the monsters and they are now in a position of having to allow the same thing for other teams. ;)
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:53 pm

Mattly wrote: Agreed i would be happy if a no ringer rule was in place, however i believe that the commitee has already allowed a driver change mid season for the monsters and they are now in a position of having to allow the same thing for other teams. ;)
Allowing the Monsters to have a "replacement" driver was due to a drivers computer crapping out on him and not being able to replace it before the season end, rather than a one race replacement while a driver was unavaliable...not to sure if everyone knew the story behind that one?

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:57 pm

Jetboy wrote:
Allowing the Monsters to have a "replacement" driver was due to a drivers computer crapping out on him and not being able to replace it before the season end, rather than a one race replacement while a driver was unavaliable...not to sure if everyone knew the story behind that one?
Yep, I think a driver replacement for a team is fair if someone suffers a computer meltdown such as I have as it's really an unforseen circumstance.

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:10 pm

I've just had a look at the rules and i can see nothing to indicate if driver changes are allowed or not. Team Voda awaits the commitees decision.
_b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:22 pm

I don't see why there should be a problem if a driver cant make a race for ANY reason. We should allow the replacement driver as long as they are of good enough standard to drive in the main league.

I mean, look at the F1 in Italy, Nick Heidfeld didnt race due to injury, they wouldnt have rang Skuzzlebutt up for the drive. They got a driver that knew what all the buttons on a F1 steering wheel did.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:43 am

TonyG wrote:Work or personal commitments mean it is just too bad (as happened to Wood and I last season).
Just because it happened last season doesn't mean it should continue to be that way.

I agree that there are lots of problems with any system for giving points to drivers missing races but I think in the interest of keeping the competition as a whole alive for everyone.

If I hadn't left my exam 20mins early and sprinted to catch the bus I wouldn't have made tonights race. Given I've had one bad race and one engine explode a 3rd race would effectively have turned my season into a waste of time. I would only have turned up to maintain eligability for next season for the rest of the season because I'd be so far behind the drivers I'm actually competitive with. Pulling back up through the rest of the pack ain't much fun.

I'm not saying driver subs is the best way to do it. It still shafts that drivers individual points.

It should also be noted that I would have continued anyway and it wasn't me that brought the whole thing up to begin with. I agreed to the rules at the start of this season and I knew there was a good chance I'd miss 2 races this season.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:06 pm

Flyboy69 wrote:I don't see why there should be a problem if a driver cant make a race for ANY reason. We should allow the replacement driver as long as they are of good enough standard to drive in the main league.

I mean, look at the F1 in Italy, Nick Heidfeld didnt race due to injury, they wouldnt have rang Skuzzlebutt up for the drive. They got a driver that knew what all the buttons on a F1 steering wheel did.
Ahem...if they wanted to win they would have. Take me 30 seconds to figure out that wheel (it'd take considerably longer to lengthen the F1 car to fit me in the damn thing though)

:)
Don't make me destroy you.