VRC League - Advice offered from Race 5

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Noon416

VRC League - Advice offered from Race 5

Post by Noon416 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:06 am

Split my post out from the Inspire League thread. Thought it might be better noticed here and also provide a vehicle for others to offer advice from the race. :)

I got punted twice last night, both times it was completely uncalled for.
I'd like to offer the following for those two people. :)

Redwulf @ Lap 9: You turned down into me, seemingly in an attempt to stay behind Inspector. Unfortunately, I was still clearly (& visibly in your mirrors) on your inside and that ding pretty much cost me a decent finish.
I've spoken with a couple of others, and it seems given the situation, it appears you were drafting with Inspector a little too intensely, and not paying enough attention to the traffic around you.

If you're drafting amongst traffic (or moving through traffic in a draft), please be *very* aware of where everyone is. When you get amongst traffic, it might not always be possible to keep your draft as people will get in the way or try to join the draft themselves.
If you get forced out of a draft/line, simply fit back in where you can and pick up the places again on the 2nd or 3rd stints. As the adage often goes, "the race isn't won in the first few laps". :)

ThundeRR @ Lap 16: Regarding your punting me, you needed to calm down a little bit. :)
You can't "stuff it up the inside" of a turn unless you can hold your line.
If you're going to quick, ease off or brake.
In that particular case, you didn't do either. You ducked underneath and then moved up into me quite sharply entering turn3.

The more galling factor there is I'd not long said to you on Ventrilo that we'd be quicker if you drafted with me instead of breaking the draft by trying to pass at every single turn and straight.
On a track that *heavily* relies on drafting, and because it was just the two of us, it would have been faster for us both had you been drafting instead of trying to pass me at every tiny opportunity.
Instead, you were pushing far too hard and cost us both time & speed before and after the prang.

If you hung around on Ventrilo for the main league, you'd quickly realise the unpopularity of taking a "stuff it up the inside" approach at every opportunity. It would do you much credit & speed and gain you more points if you drafted on drafting tracks. :)

Wraith

Re: VRC League - Advice offered from Race 5

Post by Wraith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:23 pm

Noon416 wrote:If you hung around on Ventrilo for the main league, you'd quickly realise the unpopularity of taking a "stuff it up the inside" approach at every opportunity. It would do you much credit & speed and gain you more points if you drafted on drafting tracks. :)
I may have read this wrong but in redwulfs incident were you trying to "stuff it up the inside"? :p

Either you have contradicted yourself or it might pay to explain that bit a little better

Good on ya for making a constructive post though for the rookies _b

P.S Biggest apologies to Thunder, i screwed that one up big time in the VR race. Lesson to be learned, make decisions early and don't 2nd guess myself :rolleyes:
Wraith

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:24 pm

Not at all, Wraith. ;p

I was holding steady in lane 2 into turn 3 while Inspector and Redwulf were drafting past in lane 3 (a few car lengths apart). Inspector was ahead and clear, and turned down into lane 2. Redwulf turned in at that same moment, obviously trying to maintain a draft with Inspector but he'd either forgotten / not noticed / etc that I was still on his inside.

Admittedly I was staying in lane 2 into and around the turn, and Redwulf likely expected me to drop to lane 1.
But I was completely visible in the "alongside" position in his rearview mirror. I wasn't staying in lane 2 to block or disrupt him, it was merely the line I was taking at that point.

The intent of my post is not to take a swing at him or "brow beat" him for his mistake, but merely to offer a word of advice to someone who I'm told is brand new to Nascar racing.

It's the Rookie league, so mistakes like this are going to happen. If I have made a few, then please let me know.
As has been pointed out by others about the main league, communicating these sort of mistakes and their remedies is the best fix. We don't learn if no one says anything.

:)

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:58 pm

Sweet as thought thats probably what happened, was just pointing it out as my first impression when I read it was that you were trying to dive under Red on lap 9.

No biggie makes alot more sense now :p
Wraith

TonyG

Re: VRC League - Advice offered from Race 5

Post by TonyG » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:03 pm

Noon416 wrote: ThundeRR @ Lap 16: Regarding your punting me, you needed to calm down a little bit. :)
You can't "stuff it up the inside" of a turn unless you can hold your line.
If you're going to quick, ease off or brake.
In that particular case, you didn't do either. You ducked underneath and then moved up into me quite sharply entering turn3.

The more galling factor there is I'd not long said to you on Ventrilo that we'd be quicker if you drafted with me instead of breaking the draft by trying to pass at every single turn and straight.
On a track that *heavily* relies on drafting, and because it was just the two of us, it would have been faster for us both had you been drafting instead of trying to pass me at every tiny opportunity.
Instead, you were pushing far too hard and cost us both time & speed before and after the prang.

If you hung around on Ventrilo for the main league, you'd quickly realise the unpopularity of taking a "stuff it up the inside" approach at every opportunity. It would do you much credit & speed and gain you more points if you drafted on drafting tracks. :)
ThundeRR is my 12 year old so can't stay up for the main league, he is just learning online racing and does seem to want to "race" all the time, not sure if he heard you on ventrillo, but I will make sure he reads what you have written :)

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:46 pm

Many thanks Tony. :)

I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by helping out (however little or large) to make ThundeRR faster :p, but hey, it's all fun and games in the end. _b

ThundeRR

Post by ThundeRR » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:08 pm

hey sorry about hitting you noon i'll make sure it wont happen again _b
good race everyone, Ian nice one for coming first.
i'm looking forward to next race looks like its a little tricky
might have to do a little bit more practicing :)
once again good race guys :cool:

ThundeRR

Post by ThundeRR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:54 am

hey everyone can't race on the 14th because we have a school
social so i can't race and i was looking forward to this weeks race ;(
everyone have a good race good luck its a bit harder than last weeks and i like hard ones well can't do this one.....

i'm sure my dad will tell me all about it :D

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:40 am

If he survives :D
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:54 am

shudders about memories of school discos aged 12 D:
YouTube videos

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:13 am

What did they use Snake; 8 Tracks?
Odie

RedWulf

Post by RedWulf » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:30 pm

Brand new to Nascar, news to me.

TonyG

Re: re

Post by TonyG » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:02 pm

MadMarty13 wrote:If he survives :D
Will be having a go at the VR race tonight too, so reserve pole spot for me :cute:

Murphy's Law

Re: re

Post by Murphy's Law » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:25 pm

TonyG wrote:
MadMarty13 wrote:If he survives :D
Will be having a go at the VR race tonight too, so reserve pole spot for me :cute:
Well reserve outside frount row for you cause pole is mine.

:neo:

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Do not underestimate the vcr concepts registered drivers,they may ....monster you ;)
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL