Round 2 - Nocturnal Sportscar League

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Riven
Server Guru

Round 2 - Nocturnal Sportscar League

Post by Riven » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:30 am

InSPire Net server is now set for Road Atlanta practise :)

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:56 am

goody gumdrops :>

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:27 pm

OK, as promised, here is my setup that I used in the first tptcc series to get a 08.9xx in the race, and a 1:08.414 in practise.

Let me know if it helps anyone :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:41 am

Hey guys, I'll attempt to find time to do a few laps tonight and post a lap replay for you.

I'll also be doing the majority of my race practise on Sunday morning if you are keen to join in I may be able to help you out.

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:57 am

I managed a 1.09.993 last night :D
Wah Wah Wah

bman

Post by bman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:04 am

Hoe!

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:42 am

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

;p
Wah Wah Wah

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:50 am

Why are we helping the oppostion Riven? Unless of course you have an evil plan and have the "real" setup saved to give to your team mates and the replay you give everyone of your practice will have all the wrong lines to take?

Mind you, I don't think the "Inedibles" will be taking too much notice of our advice!!
Inspector

---

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:07 pm

I just think that most drivers wont take notice of me, especially after last week. However i'm always keen to help out drivers on road courses, especially when its an open setup league.

Here is a replay i whacked together in about 3 laps practise.
And a new setup, that is no so loose in the rear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:27 pm

Inspector wrote:Why are we helping the oppostion Riven? Unless of course you have an evil plan and have the "real" setup saved to give to your team mates and the replay you give everyone of your practice will have all the wrong lines to take?

Mind you, I don't think the "Inedibles" will be taking too much notice of our advice!!
cause that way we are more likely to be real oppostion, and then you can race us instead of chasing the edibles

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:10 pm

I intent to be infront of ze inedibles so shouldn't have to worry about chasing :>

famin

Post by famin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:39 pm

yes i think youve got 3 of us covered this time Bazzil..

were no competition at all this sunday.

Best of luck catching the Big Guy tho.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Riven wrote:I just think that most drivers wont take notice of me, especially after last week. However i'm always keen to help out drivers on road courses, especially when its an open setup league.

Here is a replay i whacked together in about 3 laps practise.
And a new setup, that is no so loose in the rear
Cheers Riven, It's very helpful (for me at least) to see how some of the more experienced guys get round the track especially relatively early in the week so I have more time to try and copy them. :p

Last week I watched various people through the afternoon leading up to the race and it helped me knock my times down by a second... in practise at least. The actual race driving still needs a lot of work ;)

The advice you were giving someone (snake maybe?) last week on vent regarding set up's was also very helpful as most of the set up options are still gibberish to me even with the tool tip descriptions.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:07 pm

Common wood ya sad sack, post a replay of you going round ze track :>

and then your setup too :P

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:34 am

Very generous of you Riven to share setups etc...

I got some good advice from teammates and last night managed a 8.9 in online practice, using modified djm set, highly tweaked for my "cough" style of driving. That's a full second quicker than my fastest laptime from Season 1, On that occassion I used the Riven 8.14 stable set I think so I can attest to its benefits....

I like higher gear ratios to compensate for low speed thru corners (yes working on my braking all the time), plus always have Front Sway at 1100+ and rear sway at around 375 to 500, tight enough for cornering but with enough give for a bit of drifting, front brake bias at 56, as that combined with the Famin squash ball trick gives good hard braking without lockups.

Still working on the two foot stuff, co-ordination still flakey but with the above setup settings I tend to control the car on the gas pedal more and slide thru corners, the tricky bit is consistently getting the lines right and not doing too many four wheel drifts and eating the tyres too fast.

No doubt, that's all arse over apex but hell occassionaly it works for me and slowly season by season I'm getting better. On some tracks the above approach just don't work and I fall back on the conservative, slow, steady set approach and concentrate on staying on the grey stuff and focus on getting to the end in one peice.

The biggest thing I feel in setup design, when your not one of the speed merchants is playing around with a few of the core settings like sway bars, brake bias and gear ratios and finding out what feels stable given your style and then tweak from there to eek out incremental speed improvements, well thats my approach. Over the last two seasons Ive tried many std setups, pro ones and personal ones but unless you drive like they do, then it can be frustrating as hell.

Replays too can be both very helpful and frustrating too coz you can see what to do, but the speed at some places and the brake points ppl use just amaze me, the biggest benefit is looking at gear selection and lines the pros like Riven take into corners or thru esses, especially when you study them from various angles, Far Chase view is good for seeing line of approach in particular I find.

If any of this is helpful to anyone, great, if not then some advice on where else I can improve would be appreciated.
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:05 pm

Good stuff Sulley _b

After driving a whole lot of laps last night, watching and talking to you and BMan I've got down to a 1:10:3xx and it hasn't bottomed out yet.

I tried your set up this morning and I didn't really find any difference in the times I was able to do (I had to change the brake bias to 59% and adjust the gear ratios a bit so I could stay on the track). That to me shows that it's my knowledge of the track and driving that are limiting me at the moment. So I'll keep practising and worry more about the setup's once they are actually what's slowing me down :)
- Death to Smoochy

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Cheers Eagle _b

Have to admit that I do like that track compared to some others. I have done lots of laps there before and knowing where you can push it a bit makes a world of difference.

You going great, give yourself a break mate, I;ve been playing TPTCC for quite awhile and only now starting to get the hang of it (at times).

Starting in on Limerock now as I won't probably make Atlanta anyway.
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:32 pm

Hey I'm perfectly happy.

It's within my aim of keeping my fastest and avg. times within a couple of seconds of the top 10 guys (excluding the freakishly good of course :p) , just looking to improve where ever I can to get better :)
- Death to Smoochy

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:45 am

I'll be on the server and ventrilo this morning from around 10 to 11 or so if anyone is keen.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:52 am

Here is a better lap with the same 'testing' setup :D

Wood

Post by Wood » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:00 pm

At the request of a certain Mr Turnbull, here is my fastest lap. :)
Brake on the straight before it's too late.

Wood

Post by Wood » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:01 pm

setup
Brake on the straight before it's too late.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:24 pm

By chance, will there be sponsor graphics for this track...I forgot who through them together last week.
Odie

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:55 pm

Bman does :)

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:37 pm

edit : ignore the ramblings of a fool here please.
Last edited by Prometheus on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.