NASCAR Season 6

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
TonyG

Post by TonyG » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:59 am

Chequers wrote:Can I suggest that we should make setup changes where it is obvious that they are needed. For example, brake bias. At Talledaga the brake bias was set at about the mid 70s% which is totally impractical. Most drivers would have had trouble with only one heavy brake application causing the front tyre indicators turning yellow. The brake bias should have been set in the mid 50s%.
But otherwise we should go with the defaults.
Generally the setups are quite good when you realise what a cross section of drivers we have, and remember the setup has to be fair for everyone, so I agree that the brake bias is probably the only setup that should be changed for certain tracks.

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:23 am

Howdy.

I'm back home in Sydney again . . . and my connection problems seem to have sorted themselves out . . . Tracert shows : 50ms to the Inspire server again . . . instead of the ridiculous 500ms it was showing months ago.

How do I know if I can apply to be in your next Nascar Series 6 ?

And if I can, does anyone need a second class (some would say THIRD ! ! ! ) driver ? . . . . or anyone want to start a new team ? . . . or is there anything different happening with teams ?

I'm really looking forward to getting on the track with you guys again if I can . . . you run a great league. (suck, suck . . . kissy, kissy) :D

Oh . . . and I agree with keeping the setups as Fixed Fast . . . that's always part of the charm of your league . . . tho if you all agree with adjusting the Brake Bias thingy (when necessary), it doesn't worry me . . . as someone said : you simply drive to the setup provided.

Though if you do want some setups that are generally accepted as being smooth to run, there is a guy over at ATR who used to supply setups when required . . . I only offer that as an option, in case anyone feels that it would better to get an "outside" setup . . . and I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:54 am

Welcome back Rob

The rules say that all "previous" drivers have to apply to the committee to rejoin---------which you just have :D This is to allow current drivers to fill the grid first, but this season will not be full

So just re signin at SimRacerHQ

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:27 am

what about a race at watkins glen or gotzenberg :D just a road race in the series to make things interesting...
my 2 cents worth
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
- Bruce McLaren

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:45 am

You wanna race road courses, get GTR or rFactor..............

Wed nights is Left Turn only :)
"Run Yasmine Run"

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:10 pm

Had the thought: Why not race ovals for points as we normally do, and say mid-season or so, have a non-points race on the Papyrus track or 8 bowl, etc

That way, points aren't affected from running a "nasty road track" but if people want a bit of fun and variety they can participate.
Those that don't, enjoy a break mid-season.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:10 pm

Yers I'd be keen for that.

But for this particular season (jammed in before christmas) we won't have enough weeks to run non-point races :) 8 is very much a minimum :>
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:01 pm

I will have to find it again but i did come across a figure 8 track, could be a bit of fun for a demo derby before the next season starts.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Might be looking at a test of a Non plate Daytona before the season starts but open to a bit of fun on a figure 8

This should be available on SimRacer HQ soon but until then

http://savefile.com/files.php?fid=8267938

Changed the pit exit to the back straight on this one as well

Angus

wednesday night

Post by Angus » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:24 pm

Are we going to be doing any racing wednesday night? Whats the date for our first league night?
Or haven't I read some where else
Angus, new premiere Google Driver. Watch out. :p

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:52 pm

To be honest, I find Figure-8's are just stupid.

If you want some fun in a demo derby, you could try :

1) Pick a 1/2-miler like Bristol or Martinsville, if you expect only a few drivers to turn up ; or

2) Pick the widest 1-miler you can find, if you expect a reasonable turnout.

I'd also suggest just two rules :

1) No pitting : so you can't get any damage fixed . . . that will also prevent any wusses from using the pits to HIDE in ; and

2) If a car can't move anymore, then they aren't allowed to leave the track (nor move onto the grass or call a tow) . . . that way the ramaining cars can use them for "cover".

We've done the same thing in other groups I've been in . . . the only weird thing is when some guys still seem to think that they are "racing" . . . . to me, that defeats the whole purpose of what I call a "Demolotion Derby" : it should simply be "Last Man Standing" . . . or is that "Last Car Rolling" ?

Ideally, the best track would be a Gladiator Arena (with possibly a few ramps to use as jumps) . . . there was a game just like that on the original Playstation . . . can't think of the name now.

. . . then let the blood (or transmission fluid and oil) flow free. :)

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:45 pm

I'd like a demo durby also :)

You would need a few rules so it at least goes for a little while, like no attacking from below the line.
organised into last season teams and have Team Demo smashup.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:05 pm

Fig 8 Demo derby can be got from here

http://www.savefile.com/files/7249666

Have not looked at it yet myself so dont flame me if it sux :D

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:20 pm

Big Al wrote:Fig 8 Demo derby can be got from here

Very fun track, alot like 8 Bowl but a little tighter and shorter.

Setup needs a little bit of a tweak, mainly the gearing. Good grip, so that makes it easier, a little buggy with cars sticking to the wall. I think you would find that most cars would have to get a tow because of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:36 pm

Rob...one problem with your no moving rule. If your cars sits for a period of time on the track or in the grass, you will be tow automaticlly.
Odie

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:16 am

Flyboy69 wrote:
Big Al wrote:Fig 8 Demo derby can be got from here

Very fun track, alot like 8 Bowl but a little tighter and shorter.

Setup needs a little bit of a tweak, mainly the gearing. Good grip, so that makes it easier, a little buggy with cars sticking to the wall. I think you would find that most cars would have to get a tow because of it.
yes I think it could be a fun track to race. Didnt really notice a problem with sticking to the wall but as its a derby im sure someone will be kind enough to give you a shunt ;) gearing could do with some tweaking.

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:52 am

odonohuesp wrote:Rob...one problem with your no moving rule. If your cars sits for a period of time on the track or in the grass, you will be tow automaticlly.
But that would only happen in a "race" session, wouldn't it ? . . . so we'd simply use a "practice" session and just say "GO" to commence the carnage ? :D

The other problem is that it's all too easy to drive the wrong way and get black flagged . . . even in a "practice" session . . . is there any way to turn BF's off ?

As far as teams go, well . . . we could have a couple of sessions (as they won't last long) . . . one as everyone for themselves . . . one as your normal teams (though what happens to us not in a team?) . . . and maybe a two-team thing . . . like a game of footy . . . though that would mean having just 2 car schemes (so you know who;s on what team) and having to upload a new skin for everyone . . . . couldn't we just create, say, one black car, and one white car . . . and then each person just copy and rename them for each driver ? . . . . to avoid having to download a whole new set of cars ?

I've always wanted to try doing a "Roller Derby" type thing : back in the 60's it was a "sport" like pro wrestling : 2 teams on roller skates on a banked oval circuit like a small velodrome (or like Bristol!) . . . but it would be very hard to implement. ;)
Flyboy69 wrote:Setup needs a little bit of a tweak, mainly the gearing.
But again : this sounds like you intend to "race" . . . which is fine if we want to just have a rough "stock car" race with no rules . . . which we could do as well . . . but to me, a "Demolition Derby" isn't about racing at all . . . as I said earlier : there's no point in half the guys treating it as a "race" while the other half are just reversing into each other. :D

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:41 pm

Waste of time discussing this,after all everyone will be sitting dead anyways after I have dnfed you all :D
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL