UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

GTR GT Season - Week6 - Spa

Post by UnbounD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:49 pm

Spa-Francorchamps

Format

Spa (day) _ Pitsstop _ 25min _ 2 races

Qual 8:50 NZDT

Amazing track! Hope you have practiced or youll be off before you know it.
Braking into Blachimont on the racing line is a NO NO and will show that youve not done enough practice.

Be very careful into Le Source on the first two laps as there are multiple lines around this hairpin.

Take care entering the Bus Stop when in traffic.

Enjoy your pitstop and you must use the pit exit, i.e. Dont go over the Hump!

Last edited by UnbounD on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Run Yasmine Run"

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:51 pm

Watkins glen as the subject heading? lol
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:01 pm

9:50 for Qual ?

diseased

Post by diseased » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:36 am

9:50? Damn you're slow. ;)
"It is what it is."

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:17 am

I haven't been having much fun in the league lately, I'm getting sick of some little quirk in the tracks like turn 1 at Watkins etc where you spin up and hit the wall and I have had to use Traction control on full just to stay on the track let alone compete with everyone else.

So I decided I will go back to some basic cars like Morgan or maybe the Corvette and turn off the aids and try an learn to drive without them and forget about trying to keep up with everyone else which I think is what my problem is, trying to compete rather than learning the tracks etc. I really enjoy the game and especially the sounds of Morgan etc, but you lose all that when you totally focus on racing the other cars and end up spinning up all the time and I'm getting very frustrated with it.

The other thought I had, would it be possible to open up the league to the V8 cars as they are fun to drive and if we run a V8 league in the future at least I might have learnt to control them by then? Maybe we need to have a setup guide (working mans version - i.e. setting up cars for dummies) posted in the forum. Happy did that once for F1 which you can Download from KiwiSim and I will be having a read of that tonight but maybe someone could run through it and convert the menus etc to GTR and add in any new stuff relevant to GTR.

Anyway I shall see you all at Spa tonight, hopefully in the #44 Holden or one of the slower cars. Either way give me a flash of your lights if you are coming up to lap me and I'll give you some room.
Inspector

---

diseased

Post by diseased » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:07 pm

actually, Inspector, I know exactly what you mean.
Season 1, our NGT season, I used no TC or ABS and we know how that worked out.
Season 2, the first few races, I was using TC and ABS on low in the 'Vette and there was no way in hell of catching up to the guys running Saleens and Murcielago's, really. Switched around a bit, found a car I liked better but still wasn't up to snuff. Turned on TC and ABS and now I'm at least holding my own to some extent but it still feels... not like cheating but, more, cheap. Like "what, this is what it takes to win?".
Personally I love the oddball cars like the Morgan, the Lotus, and the Vertigo but they're just not competitive when compared to the rest of the pack.
I totally applaud your decision to focus on learning the tracks better tho.
"It is what it is."

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm

I think you'll find there's actually quite a few drivers in the league who use traction control on low.. Basically with a pc game you dont get all the feedback from the car with regards to wheelspin so its a lot more difficult to drive with no abs/tc on a pc than it should be. Some people can do it and will be quicker, but a little help doesn't hurt the rest of us :)

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:44 pm

I say drive a car you enjoy no matter what class it is. It has to be enjoyed to play , thats why we play isnt

RedValiant

Post by RedValiant » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:40 pm

I know what you mean. I never used tc or abs in the NGTs, it felt like cheating and I think it was generally slower - same with Autoclutch. However in the GTs there is, as you say, a devil waiting in many cnrs -T1 @ Watkins :eek:. I now use low TC and ABS just to get around the fear of early throttle out of cnrs and the usual spin. But, then again just turning consistant laps - maybe a second or so off your best will net you a top 10 finish in the GTs as faster people visit the sandtraps.

famin

Post by famin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:45 pm

maybe you need a setup lan course Inspector?

doh! we just had one...
ah well... :)

I could send you the notes?

ps: I agree with a V8 league, maybe using the aussie tracks that are available.
pps: perhaps you'd like to register for my track and driving analysis lan in december?
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:35 pm

Unless you actually have a clutch pedal then you reall need to use auto clutch.. Theres no cheating with that one. I dont really consider low tc/abs cheating anyway. Even some of the Simbin devs/actual GT drivers say it is more realistic with low tc/abs.

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:21 pm

Geez a V8 league and I might have to track down my copy of GTR.... :D
Wraith

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:21 pm

When using the pit exit, stay to the right as you enter onto the track. Use your look behind/mirrors and make sure you do not compromise anyone elses exit of Eau Rouge. As the driver exiting the pits, it is YOUR responsibility to return to the track safely!
"Run Yasmine Run"

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:30 pm

With regards to pit exit, can the blue lights be trusted? ie if the light isnt flashing can you assume the way is clear and just gun it?

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:46 pm

Best bet is to use the tab key if you dont run with it on all the time anyway, and keep an eye out as you go through the right/left on pit exit.

Have a think about it as you practice ;)
"Run Yasmine Run"

juliant

Post by juliant » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:43 pm

So what sort of lap times are we aiming for - best I've done is 1:16:7 but mostly nearer the 1:18's. Does that put me at the back as usual? And Famin I'm afraid I do have to lift on the back straight before the bus stop even on the racing line....
I'm also hopeless on Ea Rouge - get a wicked bounce. Setup I found online for the Lister was for Donnigton which must be too close to the ground for Spa?
From memory, I think I've read that some can do a lap in the 1:12's

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Let me know when you get rid of the pot luck pits.

That's three times now my entire race has gone out the window thanks to the whole dodgy pitting method in that shitty game
:/

That's about it for me for GTR, I'll await the v8 season.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:27 pm

Bit of a disaster for me o_O

I don't know if you know this Gregory but when you fall off the track, you should merge back on the side of the track, not drive straight back into the middle of the track because there are cars actually coming up behind you on the track.
:>

famin

Post by famin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:42 pm

its the same for everyone Bernard. :(

Pity to see you throw your toys...

ah well, one less competitor... :D

I had 2 pitstops in race 1 coz of a speed limit infringement, but one battles on doggedly and I enjoyed catching and battling with drivers further down the grid. Had a great last corner pass on poor Viking for 11th that gave me some pleasure.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:43 pm

Quite right Famin, it is the same for everyone, but I'd rather not partake in a race that becomes a lottery at Pit time :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Do the pitstop right and you want have a problem :D ITs not perfect or as good as Nascar but it still works when you get the hang of it.

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:52 pm

Eye don't like the pitting either o_O. It's rather much a shallow win - if you do win, by the person you were chasing getting stuck in their pit.
:>

YeeHarr

Post by YeeHarr » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:56 pm

So I win the prize for the dumbest mistake. In the second race I pitted but accidentally hit the side arrow before the down arrow.

I didn't realise what I had done until my car drove itself out of the pits. Grrr. At least I was faster than my codriver!

But he's more consistent.

Grrrr grrr grrre grrr grrr.

And I dont' find any trouble in the pits apart from stupid mistakes like that.

Not sure what Bazz is referring to.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 pm

I did the big out brake myself and got a stop and go which lost me 5th and put me in 9th place in the first, oh well.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:24 pm

weeee my first double :D