Nocturnal League Road Course Guides

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
famin

Nocturnal League Road Course Guides

Post by famin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:52 pm

I thought I might try and write down my personal guide to the tracks we do after we do them. ie: after some intensive practice and a race. It may help some people for the next time they race here and it may even give pointers for the next race. maybe! Obviously m not in Wood's or Riven's class but that may be more down to my committment to the corners and sheer lack of that top 5 talent but for what its worth here tis...

If anyone wants to append changes to any of the paragraphs or add extra comments Id appreciate it.

My aim eventually is to compile a set of these guides.
Last edited by famin on Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

famin

Post by famin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:53 pm

Road Atlanta Guide

I WILL refer to the track racing line as a reference during this. It may not be the ideal line but it provides a braking point reference for me.

First
Be aware that starting a lap at RA means a very good exit out of the last corner before the start line. You MUST have good speed down the hill and round that last right hander and be in 5th BEFORE the start finish line.

So… cross the line in 5th and keeping to the left full throttle to the corner. You will stay in 5th. Just about the pit exit and maybe just after the orange line starts brake hard (hard means to the floor) and chop down two gears to 3rd. remember to roll off the throttle as you brake but NOT totally off. (keep the revs up!). You should lose enough speed so that you DON’T push wide around this corner. You need to be tight in to the RH curb as you head uphill., Now hammer it and drift over to the LH side of the track.
Up to 4th and keeping left head to the crest of the hill.

This is where I lose some time but my best advice is to ease the throttle as you get to the crest and can see the curb on the right, Straight line that first corner just touching the curb on the RH side. Its not too bumpy so you can ride it slightly.
Chop to third and keep on past the racing line turn in. ie: you need a wideish entry to ensure keeping to the left down the hill.

Hammer it briefly down the hill and about 2/3rds of the way down shift up to 4th.

Touch the brakes to swing the nose in as you turn (like rallying) and turn just so and early to drift thru that right hander with your front right wheel clipping the curb. Remember you’re using full throttle!

Now turn slightly left to ensure you don’t drift out to the nasty curb on the right and head straight down that short straight.

Just about the orange racing line chop to 3rd gear and again touch the brake to swing the nose in towards the LH curb. Aim FOR the edge of that curb!!!

There’s a slight dip after the curb and as soon as you feel it you can hammer the throttle again to power out in a nice curve over towards but NOT onto the RH grass.

Now simply accelerate hard up to 4th , drift over to the LH side and head to T1 of the tight back two turns.

Here you can brake late and hard. Start braking about 1/3rd into the red braking line.
Chop down to 2nd very fast and let engine braking assist you to slow up. Turn in early and gently in 2nd round the corner right on the apex.

You can try a very slight bit of acceleration here but not too much as the next corner is crucial. Its slow and it can feel very clumsy but it leads onto a looong straight. I suggest the touch of the brakes to swing the nose in early again and a gentle and easy turn through it in a wide curve, staying in 2nd and as soon as is viable accelerate hard. If you accelerate too early then you WILL oversteer and lose direction and time. You should turn thru this curve about 60 – 65kph

Then simply accelerate up to max speed in 6th drifting over to the right as you negotiate the bend and aiming thru the dip in the road before the bridge hill.

Get up to about 185kph before you brake. Brake at the start of the orange racing line and keeping to the left. HARD braking and chop down to 3rd. Slow enough so that you can turn in early and slightly blind to the Right hander and drive past the RH curb very close but don’t clip it.

Keep the car direction as straight as possible thru that turn towards the outside of the track. I look up at the trees and drive towards one Ive picked out as being stright ish towards the fron. This is coz I don’t want to unsettle the car by accelerating too early while turned and cause oversteer.

Accelerate as early and fast as you can, before the crest down preferably, and change up to 4th just as you crest the lip so as to not unsettle it. Then hard in 4th tight round the last right hander keeping very close to the curb all the way round (in the groove).. up to 5th asap and over the start finish line.

B Young
Jan 05

famin

Post by famin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:05 am

Lime Rock Park

Lime Rock has a nice long straight so the entry onto it is crucial. But more of that later.
You should be up in 6th gear approaching turn 1. Brake at or just after the last braking marker on the left hand side and drop down to 4th, turn in and drop to 3rd. T1 has a wide entry so you should carry some speed in here before dropping to 2nd and settling the car into a nice constant acceleration around the last apex staying on the grippier concrete areas of the track.

Exit on the left hand side of the track, settle the car and accelerate across the track towards the red cones marking the pit exit. This is to allow a late turn in to T2. You should get to third gear. Drop across the track to the LH apex, again using the concrete if possible and change down to 2nd . Try to keep well to the left hand edge and keep the revs up but watch the acceleration because you will almost immediately want to flick right into an early entry across T3. You want to straight line this to the extreme outside exit on the LH side BUT don’t get the rear wheels on that curb or its curtains.

If you are doing all this perfectly you will be immediately into hard acceleration out of T3 as early as possible without oversteering and motor on down the short curved part of the track touching the edges of the track on the RH side and then the LH side of what could be called T4 before approaching T5.

T5 is an uphill RH cambered corner that rewards a nice stable drift. You should have got to 4th on the track beforehand and drop down to 3rd, turn in early (maybe with a touch of brake) as tho you were going to clip the inside curb. This should induce a nice drift thru the corner to the outside LH edge under the tress. NAIL it!

Motor on up to T6. This is similar to T5 but flat rather than cambered. Again drop to 3rd and induce the drift early across the concrete patch and hurtle round drifting out to the edge. You must NOT go over the edge of the track here onto the dirt and grass of the crucial T7 will be stuffed. So look up at the bridge as you negotiate T6 and aim towards the dodge rams head logo on the bridge. Go straight under that and you should be OK.

Try to get into 4th before going under the bridge and nail it.
Stay towards the centre of the track and then gently turn into the T7 aiming to almost touch the RH curb on exit and aiming towards the end tree on the left hand side exit down the straight. If your car is set up nice it will drift in a power oversteer slide perfectly out to the double curbs, sometimes over them, before you haul it back onto the tarmac and rocket down to the start finish line. You should be in 6th WELL before that line!

B Young
8/2/05
Last edited by famin on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tickford

Post by Tickford » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:06 pm

Great Idea. I actually wanted to do a similar thing, only in a video file with audio comentry. Like channel 10 does with the v8supercars. Getting a driver to do a hot lap with commentry. But time and technical expertise has made me shelve the idea.
Cheers
Tickford

famin

Post by famin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:16 am

Daytona road Course

The start finish line for this track is just before the final kink on the oval banked part of the track so I will assume you are finishing a lap rather than starting afresh.

You should be aiming for at least high 190 mph speeds as you curve thru that last kink and straighten up for the final part of the nascar oval track. On the right you see large braking markers high up on the fence. Count three of them and then start braking and changing down.
Drop to third and turn in to the road course and as you get off the oval track drop to 2nd. You can go quite wide here but you have to slow down quick and turn into the left hander around the fence. Its tricky and potentially very easy to slide off but if you get it right you will be in a slight drift in 2nd around tight around the left hander.

Straighten up and cut the curb on the right as you head towards the next left hander around the Armco at the end of the pit exit. Up to 3rd and possibly 4th heading to the next Right hander.

Brake early down to 2nd and turn in, You don’t want to slide out here as it just loses time so get around as carefully as you can and out onto the concrete strips. This corner has a wide exit so you can start accelerating earlier than you possibly think but again oversteer is the enemy. Get on that concrete, straighten it up and hammer it.

Up to 3rd and 4th and turn in early right on the apex for the open left hander. This is taken almost flat out in 4th (maybe a slight lift to pull the nose in entering the corner) and in a nice controlled drift, then hammer it down to the next right hander moving over to the left hand side of the track.
Brake late after the first brake marker at least and down to 2nd , turn in across the track to gently go around the RH curb, sliding out is again easy and bad here. Possibly you will drop to 1st coming out of the corner to get some acceleration and then hammer it down to the last infield corner. Move over to the right hand side.

Brake just after the road turns blackish and move to the left at the same point, drop to 2nd and again, ease around the corner keeping close to the LH curb all the way around. Accelerate out early as theres plenty of room but do it in a straight line, again you don’t want oversteer and lifts as you get onto the long fastest part of the track.

Get onto the banking and hard accelerate up to 6th, stay on the right hand side and watch for the big braking markers. Count 1.. 2 .. 3 and drop to 4th. Turn across the track aiming for the rh side of the cone on the apex of the left hand side entry to the corner and as you cross the grass drop to third still partially on the brake, turn gently but immediately around to the right to hold a nice curve around to the exit.

Drop to 2nd halfway round and again cut just inside the cone on the right first and then the left across the grass keeping as straight a line as possible. Hammer it out in 2nd and again onto the banking.

Keep low for a start moving up to the outside wall as you turn the first curve to try and minimise underbody scraping then hammer it down past the pit entry and across the track to the left hand side and around the final gentle turn back to the start finish and T1 again.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy