Official Kiwi VS Aussie Update

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:51 pm

ronwest wrote:
odonohuesp wrote:This has been pointed out to me in the past...NRTV runs a couple seconds behind, but we shoudl still be able to identify if a train is being formed.

Now that we have give a plan away to the enemy, lets keep the "real" plan a secret.

Hitman...please keep your eyes on your own paper. :D
so does ventrillo :)

the minimum delay for nrtv is 0.7seconds, we will give it a try on saturday at praccy.
The idea is not so much as a crash spotter etc.. but mainly to keep and eye on the race layout as a whole.. ie, if a kiwi drops off the draft, let us know, and then we can tell the last 1 or 2 kiwis int eh draft to drop back and pick them up and help them out back to the train ahead. Or in the likelyhood that a draft pack gets split up with varying pitstop times, coming out we can better organise the draft trains to be back together etc.

These things are not latency dependant, and so vent and nrtv is perfect.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:57 pm

more let the head know where the tail is and how many ozzie fleas it's got on it

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:28 pm

first post has been edited to state the following, AIDS WILL BE TURNED OFF

If anybody does race with aids turned on can you please start practicing with them turned off. It will also make you go faster.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

]-[ITMAN

Post by ]-[ITMAN » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:27 am

Aussie Truck files are available here:

http://www.asrg.org/cars/

It may be easier to just grab em all and stick them all into one big zip file for distribution. There's still a few trucks being painted up for a couple of reserve drivers, so check back or I'll just send you those... They're probably worth grabbing just in case...

1 wierd looking truck in a full field of team colours is going to stick out like dogs balls. If you want the one zip I can upload it somewhere, its about 19 meg.

Mal Lancaster is the legend that's painted up the Team Australia Trucks, and has even gone and pained up a pace truck, which we'll put up somewhere for download as well... Can't wait really.

I'll have the details for the practise running on Saturday very shortly.

SERVER INFO
202.125.41.20:41100

I'm pretty sure its about an 8:30 qual time for you guys, 6:30 for us, I'll do the sums and kick the server over...

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:32 am

A few of us had a bit of a run on the Aussie server last night. The Inspire wireless guys had a steady 100 - 110 ping with 100 quality and the DSL guys seemed to sit around the 160 mark although bman as usual had a ping similar to the wireless guys. We actually had better pings than a few of the Aussies who I think came from the Northern Territory. I experienced a couple lag problems, the first a major one which everyone got so we think it was the server. The second was a couple of cars jumping a bit but that appeared to be them, not myself or the server. Saturdays practice will be a vital test for the server with 40 cars on and 20 of them from an international pipe so it is essential that everyone makes it to test it to the limit.

We practiced for a while and I honestly thought we might be in trouble. They drafted really well, lap after lap without touching each other and setting some very competitive times. With the majority of their trucks in Aussie colours it was quite a site to see when they bunched up all around the "very small" Kiwi contingent, and we screamed around, at times 3 wide in draft trains that contained almost the whole feild.

We moved on to qualify with Snake & Bazzil grabbing 2 & 3? on the grid, Storm and myself 11 & 13? and bman down the back of the 20 odd feild of trucks.

The race got under way with no issues, Storm & I wary of the trucks who were a little loose down the back and our fears were realised when a couple of them tangled and took both myself and Storm out in the process. I was able to recover quite quickly and get going but Storm got stuck on the bank and lost a lap just getting going again. The race was in general very tense with some many Aussie cars all around us and eventually after fighting their way to the lead, Snake and Bazzil caught me up so I jumped into their train and was working my way through the Aussie seperating Snake, Bazzil and myself so I could help them out when wham, one of the Aussie gave Bazzil the heave ho from behind and he was a gonna. This guy in fact ended up winning the race but not only did I see him apologise to Bazzil after the race, I think he was apologising to others as well. He as well as a few others pushed a number of passes that made life difficult.

So Snake and I carry on for a bit and make a run for the pits which Snake over shot and consequently earned himself a black flag, so I had to leave him and carry on by myself. I managed to slot in with a group of about 6 Aussies, one of which was 2nd place, the rest around 10th, 11th etc, who I was at that time fighting for position. I have to say that the next 10 or so laps were really exciting with Aussie cars all around me, trying not to let me past and the ones behind and beside me constantly pressuring me for a mistake. Although this track is designed to allow racing side by side with all lines being fast, I believe the Aussie do not draft well because of it. During the race they were often three wide and each seemed to take different lines into the corners. I believe that if the Kiwis drive this track like the original Talladega and basically stick to a tight close draft they will do well. So anyway eventually the pressure situation I was in had to tell and the second place guy who was at the time behind me made a pass up the inside, I held a tight line not giving him any extra room, and just a small wobble from him gave me a tap and sent me out to the wall. A racing incident, I could have given him a bit more room. A lesson for the rest of you guys, whilst we don't want to hand them the race, they will be pushing the limit and they do tend to push a lot of passes because of the nature of this track. Let them go because in the long run we will catch them. Anyway the rub on the wall took all my pace and the train was lost. Left by myself I cruised and eventually met up with Snake again toward the end.

Now this was just a practice for them, but many of them put no thought into their pit strategy and I pushed mine to the limit. Suddenly I found myself in 3rd place as the Aussies all went for a splash, so I asked Snake to take the lead and help me conserve and we cruised to the end, unfortunately I ran out of fuel in the last corner and crossed the line in 5th instead of fourth as one of their guys passed me just before the line.

So all in all a great practice and a fun race. Snake got 3rd, I got 5th and Bazzil took 6th after a steady fight back from being taken out. I'm not sure where Storm finished and bman quit out after engine problems I think.

Although there were only about 15 Aussies in the race, my opinion based upon what we saw is this:

They have a few very fast guys who race this track very well. The rest are average drivers or guys who are new to CTS and drafting in trains.

They drafted well in practice but race time saw some very messy trains in the pressure of a race situation

They qualify in very similar times to ourselves

They do not communicate very well in the race and seem to race for themselves more than the team (remember it was only a practice though)

They push passes and and a few don't hold very tight lines (nature of the track as well), be aware of this when they are around you.

New Zealand WILL win this race through communication and team work, excellent drafting and a pit stratagy that has been thought out but is flexible.

See you all on Saturday night.

"GO THE KIWIS" _b
Inspector

---

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:42 am

All the best with this guys! If NRTV is running, I will be looking forward to watching this one. _b

]-[ITMAN

Post by ]-[ITMAN » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:08 pm

Hi guys, can I have a 20 All Black Dodges to go thanks... :)

Tomorrow night is fancy dress for next weeks Test Match, Team OZ is ready to go, but there's only 5-6 Team NZ trucks available for download? We'd like to see as many people in the server tomorrow night as that'll be the test to iron out any bugs. And its also the time for everybody to front up with the correct truck file etc etc...

Here's the details. We may have to adjust the start time a tad if this is too early for the Aussies, but we'll make a night of it either way and turn a few laps in anger.

Saturday 26th Feburary.
OFFICIAL SERVER PRACTISE
2x 20% Races (We'll at least get one in)

Prac Starts 5:00PM OZ EST Time (1 prac before qual) -1 hour QLD Time
Prac Starts 8.00PM NZ Time (1 prac before qual)
Race Lenght: 20%
Damage: None, No Yellows
Server: ASRG
Server IP: 202.125.41.20:41100
Track: Talladega BR Hardcore
AIDS WILL BE TURNED OFF

NRTV details once its installed...

If you've got any questions, let rip... and Good Luck! :)
Last edited by ]-[ITMAN on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:17 pm

I have some important drinking to do tomorrow night, so ill have to go by 9ish... or else there will be big trouble. But Ill make sure I turn up and have the truck files sorted etc :)

Ron, have you looked into the simracer hq league thing? As of last night it still wasnt listed under my leagues for me to upload the skin.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:42 pm

_b Got all the Oz trucks + the ones that people have managed to upload to simracer.

Although I had to grab the files individually from simracer. I'd usually just get the all-together-zipped version but I get

"Not Found
The requested URL /series_files/90/carfiles/index.php was not found on this server."

when trying to d/l the whole lot in zip form. I'm sure Ron will have the upload problem sorted shortly, if he hasn't sorted it already. He may have, Can't tell as it wasn't a problem for me ;). Still got a good 24hrs to go till the praccy so no need for panic :)
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Excellent report Inspector, it's gonna be great when we win.

On another note I don't want to sound a bit cynical, but after reading about the "aggressive" driving, what is to stop anyone (apart from commonsence) I won't say the other team :D doing a bit of, shall we say, strategic punting!
i hadn't thought of this until I read your report this morning.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:11 pm

I would love to see a combined zip file of both sets of trucks. Can someone do this before tomorrow night.

BTW, I'm one of the guilty ones who have not uploaded there truck to the site.
Odie

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:24 pm

Eagle32 wrote:_b Got all the Oz trucks + the ones that people have managed to upload to simracer.

Although I had to grab the files individually from simracer. I'd usually just get the all-together-zipped version but I get

"Not Found
The requested URL /series_files/90/carfiles/index.php was not found on this server."

when trying to d/l the whole lot in zip form. I'm sure Ron will have the upload problem sorted shortly, if he hasn't sorted it already. He may have, Can't tell as it wasn't a problem for me ;). Still got a good 24hrs to go till the praccy so no need for panic :)
forgot to set something up when i made the league up on the site. fixed now

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Bold wrote:I have some important drinking to do tomorrow night, so ill have to go by 9ish... or else there will be big trouble. But Ill make sure I turn up and have the truck files sorted etc :)

Ron, have you looked into the simracer hq league thing? As of last night it still wasnt listed under my leagues for me to upload the skin.
all fixed

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:05 pm

Inspector wrote: unfortunately I ran out of fuel in the last corner and crossed the line in 5th instead of fourth as one of their guys passed me just before the line.

That would have been ME then. :-)

I was in the group with Mr Snake . . . sitting on his bumper . . . until we came upon an accident and our group ended up scattered all over the track. :-)

You and Snake were up ahead of me, then two teamies hooked up with me to help . . . I was watching the interval come down . . . but I didn't think we'd catch you. . . . and we obviously wouldn't have if you hadn't run out of fuel. :D

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:24 pm

rob_c57 wrote:
Inspector wrote: unfortunately I ran out of fuel in the last corner and crossed the line in 5th instead of fourth as one of their guys passed me just before the line.

That would have been ME then. :-)

I was in the group with Mr Snake . . . sitting on his bumper . . . until we came upon an accident and our group ended up scattered all over the track. :-)

You and Snake were up ahead of me, then two teamies hooked up with me to help . . . I was watching the interval come down . . . but I didn't think we'd catch you. . . . and we obviously wouldn't have if you hadn't run out of fuel. :D

I was watching your group Rob and you guys were catching us fast , but once inspector dropped back for me i new you didn't have the laps left:)

Neat race report inspector

P.S: must learn to pit
Wah Wah Wah

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:10 pm

Can someone translate the time for me. I know with Wednesday Nights, its a 3 hour difference for me With a 8:30 qual time. How much time are we adjusting based off the Wednesday Night league?
Odie

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:37 pm

Inspector wrote:A few of us had a bit of a run on the Aussie server last night. The Inspire wireless guys had a steady 100 - 110 ping with 100 quality and the DSL guys seemed to sit around the 160 mark although bman as usual had a ping similar to the wireless guys.
I just connected quickly to check things out and my ping was 160-170. Quality however was hovering at 90, might just be a bad evening. No one else was in there to see what sort of effect the lower quality was having.

Were the NZ guys on dsl at 100 quality yesterday or was it just you at 100 on the wireless Inspector?
- Death to Smoochy

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:38 pm

odonohuesp wrote:Can someone translate the time for me. I know with Wednesday Nights, its a 3 hour difference for me With a 8:30 qual time. How much time are we adjusting based off the Wednesday Night league?
Its a 8pm NZT qual time, which is 1 1/2 hours before we normally qual on a wednesday which is 9:30pm
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:22 pm

Eagle32 wrote:Were the NZ guys on dsl at 100 quality yesterday or was it just you at 100 on the wireless Inspector?

The DSL guys had steady 100 quality from what I saw. I think Saturday night will be the telling point. Riven is in standby mode I think to use InSPires server if it all goes tits up so no need to worry about it.
Inspector

---

]-[ITMAN

Post by ]-[ITMAN » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:04 pm

I wouldn't be reading too much into the racing you see during these practise races... Tomorrow nights efforts will be a little more serious.

On that note, voice comms are a must and as this is a TEAMS EVENT, its very important to settle everyone down and count the laps down. It's inevitable that they'll be any number of 'big ones'... that'll shuffle the deck and its the team that looks after the runners left out on their own that will pull the most points over all.

Why am I telling you guys this anyway... Crash lots and speed in the pits.

Oh and truck files fella's... important everyone has them so there's no number shinanigans with the truck files... :)

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:08 pm

Any chance that whoever admins the ASRG server can increase the practsie length Hitman. Some of us hopped on earlier to have a drive around but the 10min practice length makes life kind of difficult :p
- Death to Smoochy

]-[ITMAN

Post by ]-[ITMAN » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:24 am

Sorry mate, I'm trying to jump in myself... Set it too 40 mintues prac then 20 lappers.

Kenny's installed NRTV (thanks also to Riv) and its up and running here:

202.125.41.20:43000

I'd heard about this thing but never knew it was this cool... Anyways, its up running and it seems to work, give it a go and let us know if its running ok.
Last edited by ]-[ITMAN on Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:54 am

]-[ITMAN wrote:Sorry mate, I'm trying to jump in myself...
Hehe, that would be our fault. We got bored of doing 10min of practice and then all leaving so it would reset back to practice so others could join. So we ran all the way through a race :p
- Death to Smoochy

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Ventrilo Server

Post by Inspector » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:56 am

I have created a new channel on the Ventrilo Server called the "New Zealand NASCAR Team".

This will be in place until the NZ V's Aus Test race has been completed next week.

The channel password is "kiwiteam"

Any Kiwi team supporters are welcome to join and listen in, but please stay quiet during the racing. Jump on and say hello and then please just listen as there will be enough chatter with drafting groups communicating with each other, Riven, Odie & Flyboy controlling the race as well as Ron passing information to the drivers and controllers. Using a combination of NRTV and Ventrilo will be quite a good way of following the race.
Inspector

---

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Great idea Inspector. Praccy late last night with lots of tactical talk and aiding each other was great to see.

GO KIWI
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"