NZrFL - 19 Round 4 Imola Endurance Round 13th March

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Growler

NZrFL - 19 Round 4 Imola Endurance Round 13th March

Post by Growler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm

The area by Imola is home to several racing car manufacturers - namely Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati. Following the Second World War, the town launched a program to try to improve the local economy. Four local motor racing enthusiasts proposed the construction of a new road linking existing public roads, which was used by the local car manufacturers to test their prototypes. Construction began in March 1950. The first test run took place two years later when Enzo Ferrari sent a car to the track.
In April 1953, the first motorcycle races took place at Imola, and the first car race took place in June 1954. In April 1963, the first race with Formula One cars took place at Imola, as a non-championship event, won by Jim Clark for Lotus. A further non-championship event took place at Imola in 1979, which was won by Niki Lauda for Brabham-Alfa Romeo.
In 1980, the Italian Grand Prix moved from the high-speed Monza circuit to Imola, as a direct result of 1978's startline pile-up, which claimed the life of the popular Swedish driver Ronnie Peterson. It was won by Nelson Piquet for Brabham-Ford. The following year, the Italian Grand Prix returned to Monza, and Imola hosted the newly-launched San Marino Grand Prix, named after the nearby republic of San Marino.
In 1994, there were three serious accidents at Imola. During Friday Practice, Rubens Barrichello crashed hard into the fence at the Variante Bassa in which he decelerated violently and was knocked unconscious for a few minutes. There was also the death of Roland Ratzenberger at the Villeneuve Corner in the Saturday qualifying session, and the death of three-time World Champion Ayrton Senna during the race itself at the 6th-gear Tamburello Corner. As a result, for the 1995 race, the Tamburello and Villeneuve corners were altered from flat-out sweeping bends into slower chicanes, and the Variante Bassa was straightened. It was also the catalyst to changes being made to other circuits, and the sport as a whole, in an attempt to make it safer.
Constructors had complained about the poor quality of the facilities at Imola so, after much talk of dropping the San Marino Grand Prix from the Formula One championship, especially since there is another grand prix held in Italy, on 29 August 2006, the race was excluded from the calendar released for the 2007 season, and has not featured since.

Race night format is as follows:
Qualifying - This will start at 8.45pm. 10 minute open session (As many laps as you want within 10 minutes).
Warmup - 5 mins
Race 1 - This should start around 9.00pm. Race length is 1hr 20 minutes

Race Settings:
Race distance is based on 80 minutes
Damage: 80%
Fuel Usage: 1x
Tyre Wear: 1x
Pit Stops: Pit stops are open however there is one compulsory pitstop that has to be done during the race (All 4 tires have to be changed).

Scrunty

Re: NZrFL - 19 Round 4 Imola Endurance Round 13th March

Post by Scrunty » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Hmm unsure whether I will be racing, have to get up to catch a plane to Melbourne at some ungodly hour Wen morning (F1 here we come :D)
Great track though, perhaps I'll just do it anyway and grab some zzz on the plane
Halo Racing

BK

Post by BK » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Scrunty wrote:Hmm unsure whether I will be racing, have to get up to catch a plane to Melbourne at some ungodly hour Wen morning (F1 here we come :D)
Great track though, perhaps I'll just do it anyway and grab some zzz on the plane
no no no no.... you get your beauty sleep and we'll see you next week... :larf:

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

hmmm,be a interesting tyres choice

Growler

Post by Growler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Scrunty wrote:Hmm unsure whether I will be racing, have to get up to catch a plane to Melbourne at some ungodly hour Wen morning (F1 here we come :D)
And thats why I made my flight lunchtime Wednesday....

Mario-C

Post by Mario-C » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 am

You going as well Growler?

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 am

Mario-C wrote:You going as well Growler?
Yep!

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:19 pm

UPDATE: If everything works the race will be starting in the afternoon and finishing in the evening so headlights will be required towards the end of the race.

Ggav

Post by Ggav » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Will be missing this one out thanks to work commitments ;( which have put me in Taiwan for a week. Hope to be back for the next one _b .
oh apparently 15 deg C is really cold and if you walk around in tshirt you get lots of funny looks from everyone who is wrapped up in jackets :D
Image Image

BK

Post by BK » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 am

RACE DAY!

and the big question is... what tyres should I use?

Do you go for the faster softs or the distance lasting mediums? Choices, choices, choices....

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am

I'll be running a mix between the front and rear. Corvette chews the rears faster.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Good Race until 5 or so mins from the end, curb got me and couldn't catch it, had a chance for 3rd or 4th, ripped wheel off......... :ffs:

Really guttered, pity I don't quit..sigh another waste of time er i mean race next...
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Points are up.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Sorry I couldn't make it guys.

Trying to get car ready for Beach Hop, and it's going to be a close call as whether she's ready or not :larf:

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:Sorry I couldn't make it guys.
Was a shame, with Gav out I was looking forward to battling with you and Foxman.

Had a good night though, pulled a 37.5 in Qual for the pole, and settled into a steady low 39 race pace. Tyre choice wasn't perfect, wen't with Meds for both stints (pitted at the 2/3rd mark) Could have run softs in the shorter second stint, but played it safe after seeing the right front getting thrashed in the first stint.

Did have a scare after the pitstop though. Forgot to map a ignition and starter keys so I could shut off the engine off in the pits. When I was sitting in the pit box the temps climbed very fast and started to smoke. When I left the pit box I had to gently cruise up the straight short shifting and then clutch in and coast to the hairpin to cool the eingine down. Pretty sure I was a couple of degrees off cooking the engine!

Reckon if I had to pit any longer (damage repair or more fuel) it would have been game over o_O

Danman

Post by Danman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Yes I noticed when I left the pits there was smoke coming out the back - so I ignored it :D
I had quite a few spins in practice so just kept telling myself to cruise around the deadly hairpins - idling in second then gently on the gas.
Hardman kept catching me, then spining under brakes, then catching me... :)

Also figured out the reason for my "little coming together" with Hugh last week - I had everything (wheel, headset, etc) plugged into the USB's on the front of the case, not round the back, so must have overloaded the USB power.... Unfortunatly when the wheel lost power I had been hard on the gas with the wheel straight - so rfactor maintained that input.
No glitches last night, steady laps in the 42's and occasional 41's, pitted at roughly half way and ran softs all round. Never did check the tyre wear - didn't want to know!
Been running the same basic setup every round - max downforce every track except Spa where I dropped it a couple of notches - still had rear wing on 10 or 12 I think (max is 14)

Foxman

Post by Foxman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:17 pm

was trying to kep the 4 sec gap with you rifty but someone chatted and it sort of made me lose concentration into a turn and crashed,then made a few more spins trying to keep the control of the damage,then pitted and spent atleast 3 min to get it fixed,thats racing i guess,you were very fast last nite rifty

BK

Post by BK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Riftcreator wrote: Did have a scare after the pitstop though. Forgot to map a ignition and starter keys so I could shut off the engine off in the pits. When I was sitting in the pit box the temps climbed very fast and started to smoke. When I left the pit box I had to gently cruise up the straight short shifting and then clutch in and coast to the hairpin to cool the eingine down. Pretty sure I was a couple of degrees off cooking the engine!

Reckon if I had to pit any longer (damage repair or more fuel) it would have been game over o_O
If you every get in the same situation, try F11 to turn auto clutch off and see if you can stall the car. Then when you need to go just hit F11 again to turn auto clutch on and the car should start again. This is theory as I haven't tried it on pits but know works on the track.

Apart from the crash on lap three and panel damage, my race was pretty lonely, till the GT1's passed me... and passed me.... and some and a couple of GT2's... :larf:

Two more rounds to go

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Foxman wrote:was trying to kep the 4 sec gap with you rifty but someone chatted and it sort of made me lose concentration into a turn and crashed,then made a few more spins trying to keep the control of the damage,then pitted and spent atleast 3 min to get it fixed,thats racing i guess,you were very fast last nite rifty

Thanks :) It all came together last night, for a change :larf:

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 am

Was bored a few nights ago, so makde a merged replay of the fastest laps of everyone from the round.

Very interesting to see the different strengths each car/driver has at different parts of the track.

Did one for Monza as well.

Hardman

Post by Hardman » Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 am

Nice, it really shows just how close laps times are. Now if only we could do a whole race with those times.