Talladega Drafting Practise Tonite

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Mattly

Talladega Drafting Practise Tonite

Post by Mattly » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:34 am

Hi all

For the rookies out there and teams who need fine tuning tonite at 8-8.30pm for some practise. If you haven't raced at Talladega before, you will quickly discover that you live or die based on your drafting ability.
Team Scrumpy will be happy to aid new drivers in developing this technique so let us know your intention to join us in this thread so we wait for you in the pits. The game tonite will be "how fast can i go?". Ideally you need a 5-6 stack of cars to reach the big numbers and you need to stay within a couple of meters of the car infront. Also remember it's critical to put your car DIRECTLY behind the car in front of you. If your sticking out to the side by even 25% you are slowing the draft. Look forward to seeing you tonite. ;)

P.S if your drafting properly you will need to lift off the accelerator abit coming into corners, don't lift right off, instead just gently lift until you stabilise then pedal to the metal again. :cool:

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:47 am

It will be interesting to see whether this track will let us pass on the high line. From what I've read the purpose of the track is to do just that.
It would be good to see if 2 groups of, say 5 cars can "race" each other on the low and high line.
On the standard track the low line always wins, given equal cars etc.

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:59 am

The fixed setup becomes one unholy cow at anything over 184mph. I will have to alter my steering ratio for the first time. :(
"Run Yasmine Run"

Riven
Server Guru

Re: Talladega Drafting Practise Tonite

Post by Riven » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Mattly wrote:you need to stay within a couple of meters of the car infront
That should really be a couple of millimeters, the closer you get, the better the draft, as the DuDs have proven time and again, with 3 of us in 1 draft catching draft trains of 5 or more.

Also once you get very good at drafting, then you might wanna practise bump drafting, but only on the straights. I suggest you also practise being the bumpee aswell as the bumper as they are quite different.

odonohuesp

Re: Talladega Drafting Practise Tonite

Post by odonohuesp » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:21 pm

Riven wrote:
Mattly wrote:you need to stay within a couple of meters of the car infront
That should really be a couple of millimeters, the closer you get, the better the draft, as the DuDs have proven time and again, with 3 of us in 1 draft catching draft trains of 5 or more.

Also once you get very good at drafting, then you might wanna practise bump drafting, but only on the straights. I suggest you also practise being the bumpee aswell as the bumper as they are quite different.
You are right Riven, but remember if you are bump drafting, you better not wreck the guy that you are bumping.
Odie

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:21 pm

Yus quite right Riven, but one step at a time. Also remember the DuDs are all in the same city as the server and have good pings. For people further away it can be alittle hazardous. :eek:

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:41 pm

Mattly wrote:Yus quite right Riven, but one step at a time. Also remember the DuDs are all in the same city as the server and have good pings. For people further away it can be alittle hazardous. :eek:
99% of lag you see on the server is the car moving sideways, it does not affect the distance bewteen you and them when drafting

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:16 pm

Yes be very very careful when bumping, if u bump a car infront of you who is close behind another car, they will bump into that car and the driver of that car may not be expecting it, and it's very easy to get ripped when you're not expecting a bump.

It's good to only bump when u really have to, cause online she's a bit dodgy.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:30 pm

I'm in for a spot of practice.
Can Team Scrumpy also teach me how to launch my car 50 metres into the Air like at Texas last week?
Any higher, and you would have had to contact air traffic control :D

Did anyone see the Top 20 Shotout at Daytona on Sky lastnight? Very very cool.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:44 pm

BAZZIL wrote:Yes be very very careful when bumping, if u bump a car infront of you who is close behind another car, they will bump into that car and the driver of that car may not be expecting it, and it's very easy to get ripped when you're not expecting a bump.

It's good to only bump when u really have to, cause online she's a bit dodgy.
Theo whole idea is to send the *bump* from the back of the line right through to the front, therefore increasing the speed of the entire line.

RedValiant

Post by RedValiant » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm in.
Last week, I was mystified as to why the leaders were getting off the throttle so much in the cnrs when I was in their draft. From what I have read, they were conserving fuel and tyres, yet to the uninitiated it just felt like they were getting out of the throttle for no reason. I need to learn the fine art of consistent drafting; it's the staying in sync with the truck ahead that is the real art - on throttle, off throttle etc all the time staying focused on the line too O_o

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:07 pm

RedValiant wrote:I'm in.
Last week, I was mystified as to why the leaders were getting off the throttle so much in the cnrs when I was in their draft. From what I have read, they were conserving fuel and tyres, yet to the uninitiated it just felt like they were getting out of the throttle for no reason. I need to learn the fine art of consistent drafting; it's the staying in sync with the truck ahead that is the real art - on throttle, off throttle etc all the time staying focused on the line too O_o

Best post to date RV _b - This is what myself and others have learned over 4 or 5 seasons of league racing and you have put it into words for us. Not only conserving tyres and fuel but reducing the possibilty of "losing it" during the race and therefore "being there" to compete for top finishes at the end. If you read my report at SimRacerHQ you then further begin to understand what I mean by "Reading the race".
Inspector

---

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:48 pm

Fun practise tonight guys with a nice little race in the end, yay everyone... except Unbound who gets a thumbs down for that move entering turn 3 on the last lap :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:02 pm

Odie made me laugh...... so I blame him :D
"Run Yasmine Run"

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:46 am

If I could have used my accent, you would have been done....only choice was to type it....I have the mic issue fixed now.

"Blocking Time"
Odie