How to drive the V8's

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
ArcticBlue

How to drive the V8's

Post by ArcticBlue » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:32 pm

Any helpful suggestions on how to keep the car on the track and going roughly in the right direction?
I was kind of getting it sorted for Sandown but Adelaide seems almost impossible to put in multiple clean laps even at reduced pace.
It seems like if I graze the curbs I'm completely out of control and can't recover.
If I brake slightly too hard then I end up in a wall.
If I accelerate slightly too fast then I'm into a wall.

I guess I just need to spend more time putting in slow laps to get used to the car and course but I'm ever so hopeful that there is something else I can do to recover from the above problems. At this rate I'm not sure I'll last 20mins without destroying something on the car. :(

Bull

Re: How to drive the V8's

Post by Bull » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:35 pm

The default setup is quite off as far as balance goes, you can get them a bit better through setup but unfortunately the cars are a bit ugly in the handling department.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 pm

I feel your pain. We're a long way off the pace. At least you'll have me to race with :-)

Growler

Post by Growler » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Setting up the car can tame it a little.
My gripe is the locked diff setting at 100%. Its just too harsh...especially powering out of bumpy corners like Adelaide...

ArcticBlue

Post by ArcticBlue » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks Kerry. Hopefully a few others aren't too fast either. :)

25 laps tonight seems to have helped me get used to the track and car. Funnily enough all those people who say slowing down helps you speed up are right.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:51 am

Like any mod, it takes time to adjust.And .......... practice practice practice. The only way to get better is seat time.

Learn the track first before you start tinkering with setups. (other than the basics like steering rotation to suit)
Once you're doing consistant times on default, and proberly can't go any faster, than start tweaking the setup to find the extra pace.

That may not be how other do it, but it's what I've always done.

Regarding the V8's, be easy on the throttle on corner exits (especially slower 90 degree corners) and over curbs, these are 635+ bhp V8 Supercars, and like the real ones they basicly have locked diffs (Real cars run an Intergrated Spool Diff) so you have to "squeeze" the throttle down, If you mash it down, you'll spin.

I left foot brake, and find that helps me a lot. Also with braking, modulating the brake helps. Some corners I'm braking right to the apex depending on entry speed and the typre of corner. Lifting as I get closer to the apex to reduce brake pressure to help turn in.

Adelaide is not the most forgiving track, the curbs are nasty. However if you drive smart, are not overly aggressive it's actually very rewarding. Try to "flow" the car around the corners.

Drive slower to be faster, if that makes sence. A less aggressive driving will return a more consistant lap times. Better to be slightly slower per lap, than spin and lose even more time.

Vladimir

Post by Vladimir » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Good advice Rifty. Especially the slower to be faster bit! Have known that for years - but I still forget rather often when the red mist comes over :D