NZrFL47: Formula Renault - Round 2

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Bull

NZrFL47: Formula Renault - Round 2

Post by Bull » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Round 2 of our Formula Renault series heads to the Portuguese circuit of Estoril. After a competitive and tight first round, everyone will be eager to make their stamp on the series and put in a strong performance here.

Track: Portugal - GP Layout

Schedule:
[20:00] - Official Practise
[20:40] - Qualifying
[20:55] - Drivers Briefing
[21:00] - Racing Commences

Format:
1x 11 lap sprint race, grids based off qualifying
1x 32 lap feature race, one compulsory pit stop including mandatory 4x tyres changed, grids based off race 1 results with top 8 reversed.

Please Note: There is no refuelling these cars so ensure you have sufficient fuel to last the feature race in its entirety.

Bull

Re: NZrFL47: Formula Renault - Round 2

Post by Bull » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Race Day!

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 pm

So lessons learned

1) I miss Monza
2) Soften your setups
3) I will spin 32 times tonight

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:35 am

Actually got the hang of the car around here during the long race. Pretty safe to say this will be the hardest track of the season, so those who stay will be rewarded with some fun races if you stay along for the ride.

R1:
Pretty meh start, aero wash is definitely a thing when coming through the field.

R2:
Much better start, pushed at 95% for most of the first stint. Bull pitted and the undercut is also a thing so forced me to pit 5 laps earlier than I wanted to maintain the lead. Came out a few seconds ahead and maintained until the end.

Congrats on Blackjack on the first podium...we all tuned in to see how it would turn out.

Suzuka next week, should be a lot of fun!

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Wow that was quite something. The first race went okay, though I was really burning through those front tires. By the time the last lap came around, they weren't looking too flash though the track finally started to grip up a bit at the end.

Race two was very tough. Loaded up with fuel, the tires were really taking a huge beating - not being helped by me having a massive slide in T1, flat spotting all four of them. (Where is that FFB off switch when you need it?!). I nearly followed MMJ off into T1 shortly there after( mental note: don't get fixated on the car in front of you!) - so I passed MMJ who then quickly caught up with me again, really putting on the pressure! This caused me to run wide in T2 and I had to get off the throttle to prevent going off all together .. this probably took MMJ by surprise, who had his nose firmly up my gearbox at that point. Next thing I know, I see MMJ's car flying past - wrong side up - so that didn't go to plan I think?

Well before mid race, all tires were cooked so I decided to pit earlier than I wanted. While I didn't have a single untouched panel on my car by then, it wasn't driving too bad so I elected to skip all damage repairs - shaving precious seconds of my pit stop. This allowed me to jump ahead of Danman, getting into fifth. On fresh rubber, I did my best to catch up to Blackjack and Mike, who were 30 seconds ahead me. I managed to close the gap eventually to 14 seconds - seriously wondering if they were going to pit or not :larf: ... Unfortunately they didn't and the chase had really taken everything out of my tires so my last few laps were spend defending my position from Danman who was now catching up rapidly. That race shouldn't have been 3 laps longer or I wouldn't have been able to hold onto 5th place.

A second lesson learned was not to wear a warm jumper while racing. As it's freezing cold in Wellington, I was wearing some super thermal jacket thing which was okay during race 1 but half way through race 2, I was drenched in sweat and I was even tempted to just make another pit stop just to get that damn thing off! Pffff...

Anyway, what a fun race that was. This series is certainly shaping up to be something great. :) Thanks for setting this up Matt and Riven for setting up the server and all!

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am

Points done.

Sorry for the delay, I missed the PM from Ob on the 4th with the results.