GPL 69 Rouen

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
famin

Post by famin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 pm

dont worry unbound... Porsches are a different kettle of fish. Totally agree with those rules.

In 'cigars' we have to remember that:
1. a collision will cause mayhem because of the ensuing 'comms explosion'
2. the driver being passed can see very very little. the best person to judge a pass is the passer. hence the onus being on him.

Ill consider the various views tonight. Obviously it needs some clarification. My only reason for 'The rule' is to try and make one simple rule that can be applied anywhere and encourages prudence and trust so we can race without people making hasty risky moves.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:12 pm

There is a thing called Sound famin, which most drivers use to help guess where cars are, maybe in GPL the sound is so banger you can't tell?
:>

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:16 pm

famin wrote:ps: re pribluda.
Re Re Pribluda - it frequently seems to lose the plot...

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:10 pm

famin wrote:dont worry unbound... Porsches are a different kettle of fish. Totally agree with those rules.

In 'cigars' we have to remember that:
1. a collision will cause mayhem because of the ensuing 'comms explosion'
2. the driver being passed can see very very little. the best person to judge a pass is the passer. hence the onus being on him.

Ill consider the various views tonight. Obviously it needs some clarification. My only reason for 'The rule' is to try and make one simple rule that can be applied anywhere and encourages prudence and trust so we can race without people making hasty risky moves.
I agree with the onus being on the driver doing the passing. I can generaslly pass someone very cleanly wether it is on a straight or late braking into a corner. The trick is to judge your time and make the move cleanly. If you think there would be a collision...back off and wait until it is clear. Ford Transit did it at Spa. He was behind me for 3 - 4 laps and picked his time. I made it difficult for him but didn't block him. He got his nose in front of me on the next corner so I held my line and he passed me no problems. McGreen did the same thing last night. I went wide on a corner and he got through. Famin and I raced neck and neck the first time we tried Rouen. (I blew the engine but thats another story) It can be done cleanly. You just have to think about what you are doing. In saying this...racing accidents do happen.

Growler.

Transit

Post by Transit » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:30 pm

Growler wrote: If you think there would be a collision...back off and wait until it is clear. Ford Transit did it at Spa. He was behind me for 3 - 4 laps and picked his time. I made it difficult for him but didn't block him. He got his nose in front of me on the next corner so I held my line and he passed me no problems.
Growler.
I spose its racecraft...which is not the same as car driving.
There was a GPL race school some time ago...
could make a GPL cert. requirement before entry to kiwileague :)

learn how to attack under brakes, draft, defend, chose various lines...

I enjoy backing off going into selected corners when chasing someone...
it confuses them into thinking they've missed their marker...
then they lose traction hehe
E6550/8800gts320/G25/Oakchair

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:50 pm

Happy wrote:There is a thing called Sound famin, which most drivers use to help guess where cars are, maybe in GPL the sound is so banger you can't tell?
You're not even racing GPL.

Go crawl back under your nascar rock ;p

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:05 pm

Us nascar people don't live under rocks, I think it is you who live under the sad sack rock young riven >8p.

mctshirt

Post by mctshirt » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:25 pm

Congratulations guys...as a spectator Rouen ranked as a spectacle. At a good 10 seconds off the slowest pace and the dark angel of inconsistency as a bedfellow I withdrew to the comfort and safety of the stands to watch the T1 pile up and maybe a couple of laps till things settled down.

What followed was action aplenty and highly entertaining (maybe I should get out more) There seem to be dicing up and down the track with enough mistakes to give the careful consistent dark horse a shot at the title. The opening P1-P2 duels (post T1) were hot and heavy till a spin saw the leader pull away with an AI buffer to ride shotgun keeping attackers at arms length. Battling to the front around P4-P5 was war of attrition with some inspired racing right down the field happening at any given moment. Positions changed constantly and good to see cars sticking a nose down the inside under brakes having a look before backing off to a repeat performance the following corner.

Highlights included Famin giving Stewart a good old Liberace (in all honesty it appeared Famin was innocently caught out by some erratic early breaking by the Matra and although he did gain a place when the spinning finished and the dust settled something must have got bent, it wasn't pretty. Another was watching someone gently weaving down the straight keeping Amon at bay. That's not to say I didn't see some other hell moves but those two stuck out. Not an AI friendly environment out there! If it's ok I might come watch from the stands at Brands...and remember the race is won or lost in that first mad dash to the first apex! Maybe modern F1 needs to take a look at real racing where danger and disaster is only a shift-r away :)
"Nerves of iron and enduring hope were among the principle ingredients of a Muriwai racing drivers makeup in the early 20's."
New Zealand Weekly News
Jan 5, 1966