GPL69 2nd half of season start

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
famin

GPL69 2nd half of season start

Post by famin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Attenzione!

All those signed up (and any others wishing to drive some cigars), please form on the Brands hatch grid for a race at 8:30 tonight.

Riven: have you amended the ini file for 25 laps yet? (as per my PM), and if you can find time to restart it this afternoon just to ensure a fresh server for the restart at 6:30pm that'd be great.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 pm

your PM said to change the number of turns from 11 to 25.. so now which is it?

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:38 pm

I fully expect to be there. :D

famin

Post by famin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:52 pm

sorry, yes it was TURNS not laps. But it affects the number of laps.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:20 pm

changed

famin

Post by famin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:27 pm

The track has been duly restarted.

were good to go for 2 hr prac from now.

Transit

Post by Transit » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:57 pm

Have fun guys,
I'm out tonight due to 9fps and daughter time needed
watch those mirrors ;)

Pete
E6550/8800gts320/G25/Oakchair

famin

Post by famin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:31 pm

well, that was a bit ropey. The laps seemed to say 25 but turned out to be only 7. Teach me to test more thoroughly. AND we had a pretty meagre turnout... 6 drivers!!!

ah well it only takes two to make a race and X20 and McGreen had fun at the front.

we had 3 7 lappers but Ill only count the first two and work out an aggregate from the two of them.

Next week is the 'Green Hell'. Hands up who has done four continuous laps round there! (not you Growler...)...

we should have at least two more drivers back so the field will burgeon to 8 at least....

The pic is the race 1 start... look at all those matras... and 1 poxy evil handling Brabham (mine!)

Id better get practising... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cap'n

Post by cap'n » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:37 pm

Fun few races. Can't remember where I came (top 6 I hope..) in the first one, but the last two were sweet runs as I got the jump on whatever start line carnage occured. Pursued both times by X20 who was on fire but unable to catch up due to restricted laps.

See you at Nurby :spanner:

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:38 pm

Well that was certainly hit and miss! 7 lap races do not a series make lol.

The first race capn and I touched on the start at the front of the grid (/me points vigorously at the screenie - me on the inside!) and what a shambles it was. I dunno whose fault it was but I guess we both drifted together and that was that. I won the race after capn got bottled up behind famin's horribly handling biplane blocking machine. cap'n got baulked at the end of the back straight (on the inside) so I tried for a pass round the outside. I wasn't sure if he'd seen me but I tried to stay well wide and then we touched. Recovering I got away first and set about closing back up behind the biplane. Famin lost it a lap or two later and I barely barely squeaked by and that was that.

In race two cap'n sneaked past the biplane on the inside at the start and I didn't. By the time I'd passed that evil handling blocking machine (sure it was fair but famin's braking points were absolutely miles off where they should have been and that contributed to me tipping us off at one point) cap'n was 20 seconds down the road. Never gonna catch him in seven laps.

Race three on the start Pat decided to play billiards and bounced off the outside wall, hit famin in the middle who then bounced into me as I was well on my way to pass him on the outside. Needless to say cap'n was ahead of this mess and by the time I was half way round the lap, he was 16 seconds ahead. No way could I close that down in seven laps. Still I got within 9 seconds.

So... all in all I'm feeling a bit frustrated. I had a great setup and was well hooked up. Sure running at peak pace (ran a couple of 26s in the races) was murder on my tyres and so I was hurt particularly bad with any spin but I could manage the temps by backing off just a little. Still in all three of the races, with the second two being random grids I was involved in start line incidents that basically ruined my races. Plus the gaps in lap times were particularly large this time despite the rather small field.

So am I disappointed after a first and two seconds? Yup, sorry to admit it but I am. Mainly because I never really got the chance to race with cap'n directly and go at it toe to toe. Also because this time I genuinely felt hooked up so I could directly challenge the pace of cap'n (and Keith) who have been quicker in recent races. In short it sorta feels like a golden opportunity missed to get one up on the super fast cap'n and I didn't have a great deal of control over the end results.

(Don't think that better spread out starting grid took either...)

Oh well onto the next one.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 am

famin

Post by famin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:58 am

thnx riven... wonder why the laps were only 7 still. Ill check it out further.

cap'n

Post by cap'n » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:16 pm

heh, I just noticed poor famin had the flag marshall obstructed by his front mounted park bench :D

The start was always going to be hairy, three abreast on a track that's only wide enough for three and a half cars to begin with.
X20 said:
Better spread out starting grid
Yes please.

mctshirt

Post by mctshirt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:59 pm

I really enjoyed last night...2 steady cosistent drives saw me pick up a brace of 4ths...coulda been a podium in race two but (under not much pressure) I went looking for the apex up a bank on the far side of a corner...all good fun :)

Race 3 saw me brimming with confidence lurking at the rear of the grid like a hungry shark...sure enough 2 cars touched off the start...I'm straight into 4th by the start-finish line...another tangle of cars as I tip toe round the track...past two for 2nd...the lead car just ahead fighting to regain the track I keep my foot well in it and scramble past on the insde getting a little agricultural....the plan WORKED!!!! I'm first...I'm leading...a good consistent drive in a wide car could really get me home...that was the first trickle of blood to the head...by the second bridge the blood is fairly gushing and suddenly I'm braking later, sliding further and generally risking all because now I'm in front and it's because I'm the greatest driver here and I'm magic and don't need half the braking I've been doing and I can slide it through corners like an alien cause I'm leading and I must be leading because I'm the greatest driver who ever lived and I can do anything...except stop the horrid spin I'm now in cause I'm not actually that good and as the blood drains from my brain I can now hear the rest of the field whizz past as I frantically try to find shift-r...oh well back to reality (and last place) Nice while it lasted :D
"Nerves of iron and enduring hope were among the principle ingredients of a Muriwai racing drivers makeup in the early 20's."
New Zealand Weekly News
Jan 5, 1966

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:53 pm

Heheh mctshirt - you made that sound suitably epic!

Transit

Post by Transit » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:30 pm

LOL McT :D
very good
Pete
E6550/8800gts320/G25/Oakchair