NZPCCL Round One Toban

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:09 pm

Riven wrote:I think we should race wihout full course yellows and formation laps.

Replay of race 1 and the results file for those that are interested.
http://files.inspire.net.nz/Simulation/ ... ban_r1.exe
What he said. Atleast about the full course yellows. However the pacelap may be ok, if the grid setting was for the correct number of cars. I suggest we revisit Toban after the track is edited to allow the correct number and placement of start boxs?

Your thoughts Unbound? :)
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:21 pm

I'll butt in here. I think we should keep both full course yellows and pace lap.

It took a fair bit of work to get a full course yellow - last night was the only time it has happened on the start. Because as usual, everyone wants to win the race at the 1st corner.

When testing was done, we were able to get a full course yellow but it took a fair bit of effort. And it never happened on any of the other starts. It took people deliberately parking across the track to get the full yellow out.

What happened with people getting penalised on the yellow laps is a learning issue - seeing it involved me too. I kept what I thought was a good distance back from the car in front, but aware of the car behind me (ron) wanting to overtake. After a while the game penalised me for being too far back from the car I was supposed to be following, so I slowed down to drop to the end of the field. But when I slowed down, so did everyone behind me because they didn't know I had been penalised.

Moral of this ?
1. Everyone is aware that a full course yellow means slow down NOW and don't overtake. Stating the bloody obiovus, but it wasn't that obvious last night.

2. How will people know if the car in front has been penalised and been ordered to drop back ? Can't use Ventrillo because of the gaggle of yacking on it. Solution = ???? (the obvious one is for people to shut up a lot more and use Ventrillo for communication rather than fantasising about the sexual exploits of Happy, but hey . . . )

Pace lap is another factor in the game (no pun :D ) - just like forcing cockpit view, open setups, etc. It's all part of the game.
YouTube videos

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:43 pm

It's simple really... If people had their "wits" about them when the yellow was out there would be no problems at all.
I found staying in 2nd gear allowed me to control my speed very effectively.

Growler

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:09 pm

Hmm its a bit of a lose-lose situation really regarding the full course yellows isn't it?
A compromise of some sort will need to be made unless there is a way to tweak the system manually. (eg: turning off the bit were it penalises you for going to slow.. it doesn't work correctly or is far to harsh from what I've seen so far)
Annoying things really given that the racing itself is bloody fantastic _b
Halo Racing

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:21 pm

One problem we had with following the pace car under yellow was the tight corner at the top of the track. The cars all got backed up there and basically had to stop.

Id be keen to stay with the yellows if it could be tweaked to not penalize people so often for their poor following. The pace lap maybe needs another test run or two, with a full field of 25-30 cars. If we can get it to work then keep it for sure :)

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:55 pm

I'd be keen to keep the pace lap if the grid slots are sorted.
It's a great way to get the cars warmed up as well as adding a bit more atmosphere. :)

As for yellows, I personally like the way the GTL & Nascar are run.
Put simply: You fall off, stiff bikkies ;p

It doesn't break anyone elses racing.
It doesn't slow the racing down, meaning you get a full 12 laps of racing.
We don't have to deal with rFactor's yellows system.

As always, Admin's call, but there's my 2 cents.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:13 pm

I reckon for the first ever league to be run with rFactor, we should just keep it simple, and get the season finished with the least hassle possible.

This way you dont get people leaving because of races running late, or racing nights that turn out to be not for points, stop/gos caused from silly yellows that then kill your race.

I think wait for the next official patch, and see if that improves things. Until then I sugest we run it as any other league around here, no yellows, and no pace lap.

wide load

Post by wide load » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:08 pm

Maaz wrote: There was talk at the end last night of limiting the grids to 26 (or whatever the maximum number is per track).
This could be done by having an official practice sesion for 30 minutes prior to the first qualifying. Those not in the top 26 are removed from the server.

This is a bit harsh but it would ensure we do not have the problems we had last night.
Yes very harsh. I would rather see 2 heats and a final. At least that way everyone gets to race.

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:40 pm

Riven wrote:I think wait for the next official patch, and see if that improves things. Until then I sugest we run it as any other league around here, no yellows, and no pace lap.
I'd agree with you there on the yellow's, but I'm thinking its a track issue, rather than a formation lap issue, that caused the no-go at start of race one. People at the back couldn't line themselves up properly (orientation as well) to make the start sequence trigger.I'd like to see formation laps stay.

I also think this is the best time to try things, as once a league gets established, it may be hard to try new things. Only have to look at Nascar league, it works so well as-is, so difficult, or unnesessary, to try new things. Try stuff now, bin it if it dont work, try it later again if patched and people wanna try it.

Anyway, all just opinion anyway, as organisers have final say, and I'll go with whatever they choose to do.
"Ooooh, Can someone please, remove these, cutleries, from my knees" - fotc
"All those who hate speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:35 pm

Full course yellows ......... Gone.

Still looking for more info on the grids etc (I think viking has nailed it, but fixing it may be a different story).

Parade lap stays for the moment. But we shall see.
"Run Yasmine Run"

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Mattly wrote: I suggest we revisit Toban after the track is edited to allow the correct number and placement of start boxs?

Your thoughts Unbound? :)
I Am Not Editing The AIW File on a factory track. Modded one, maybe, but not on one that came with what I payed for. If the game is limited to 30 cars, it should have dam well said somewhere.

You asked for my thoughts.

We shall just have to wait and see what we can come up with.

Thanks to those that were patient and those that were helpful and those that stayed to race.
"Run Yasmine Run"