Trans Tasman Race - Post Race Comments

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
]-[ITMAN

Post by ]-[ITMAN » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:04 pm

Awesome Prom, music - "Ride of the Valkyries"

Oh and the server replay? It's sure to be a big one... but I want it! :)

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:28 pm

The biggest problem I saw with the comms was the back calling for a train to go low/high but the front not knowing they were in his train. I had this when I led a train for a few laps. I could only see about 4 cars behind on my f2 screen and the preson that was calling the high/lows wasn't one of them so I ignored them. I couldn't see just how long the tran was or who the back guys were.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:07 pm

famin

Post by famin » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:07 pm

Did you have a spotter watching NRTV?

I could see everything like from 30,000 feet and tried once to get into ventrillo but didnt have the password. Im willing to act in that role in future if required.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:08 pm

famin wrote:Did you have a spotter watching NRTV?

I could see everything like from 30,000 feet and tried once to get into ventrillo but didnt have the password. Im willing to act in that role in future if required.
Ya we had 2 people doing just that :D

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Eagle 32 : I was behind you when your engine blew . . . scared the crap outta me . . . wasn't sure if you'd go hi or lo. :eek:

Apart from your comms, I think the biggest advantage you guys showed was the fact that you could assemble big trains . . . whether by accident or design, only you can tell . . . but one thing I did notice was that (of the trains I saw) you didn't seem overly confident taking the high line, and a few times struggled to pass a smaller Aus train on the low line.

I have to apologize for two incidents :

1)(my) Lap 55 [Edit:25] : I was in the back half of a Kiwi train, I went a bit low, and when I tried to get back in, my rear touched the front of Mr Lynch and we both spun . . . initially I thought I had been punted . . . but after seeing the replay, it was just a miscalculation on both our parts . . . I don't know how the following Aus train all missed me . . . but they did. :eek:

2)(my) Lap 58 : a large kiwi train was on the hi line, a few Aussies were lo, when the lead Kiwi car (Snake) came down in front of the lead Aus car (George) . . . apparently the Kiwi's intended to pit . . . but Snake drifted back up off the apron onto the track, George slowed, I didn't, and punted George . . . then I got punted by the Kiwi behind me and then I hit Snake.

One question tho : on (my) Lap 86, a large kiwi train was high, and were finding it a bit difficult to pass the low Aus train (again), until one of the Kiwi cars (Inspector) in the middle of the pack, came out of the high line, dropped low and SEEMED to hold up the Aus cars just long enough for the rest of the kiwis to pass us, then he went high and got on the end again.

I did a bit of . . . um . . . "defencive" driving earlier on to make it a bit difficult for a kiwi train, and I know that there were no "Rules Of Engagement" ever laid out, but I'm just curious if that's what happened . . . or just APPEARED to happen. :D

But yeah . . . congratulations to everyone who ran . . . thanks to everyone who organized it . . . it was genuinley exciting having train vs train for laps at a time . . . GREAT STUFF ! ! ! _b

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Yes Rob, I think for the next race we need to establish a set of rules to follow :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:23 pm

Comm was good for the most part.....I was able to pretty do what I was told when running as the engine of the train, I was always waiting for the clear to run my preferred line. I only had one problem with comm and that is when I didn't know who was pitting when I was 3rd in a train on the high line. The trucks in front of me decided to pit, but I didn't know this and 2, I couldn't get down to pit. Ended up running out of fuel 2 stalls from mine and was slapped with a 30 sec tow.

In reference to Rob's comment about the high line; the high line works, if you can keept it going for a couple laps, because you can only get the run off of the turns, and when you are talking about getting a full train of 7-10 trucks past the low line; that will take a good 5 laps.

The warp issue that was brought up from the Aussies, when saw this warp during the practice run on the Aussies server and the Aussies were 10 drivers short and were having connection drops on their end. I coudl only imagine what it would have been like with a full 40 trucks for that practice race.

All in all it was a very good race considereing the 2 countries don't drive together on ovals in trucks. I look forward to the next one; if I am invited to run in it.
Odie

ASRGRich

Post by ASRGRich » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:17 pm

It was almost certainly a server problem and not a connection problem.

BTW

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:36 am

ASRGRich wrote:It was almost certainly a server problem and not a connection problem.

BTW
doubt full, every aussie had a low quality, and odie connecting from japan had no issues period and we have yet to have an issue with the server

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:32 am

Ron, I think ASRGRich was talking about the test session on the ozzie server the other week.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:33 am

ASRGRich wrote:It was almost certainly a server problem and not a connection problem.

BTW
Let's not go here. What are you basing that opinion on?

If it was a server problem everyone on the server would experience the same problem at the same time. I only had a small lag spike at one point in the race and I lagged out nearly completely after my engine had died (thankfully) due to my flatmate d/l'ing some stuff as my ping no longer mattered while I was spectating. Niether of these problems occured for anyone else.

We've had server issues once before that I can remember when Inspire was DOS'd one night (I believe that was what Riven said had happened). This resulted in all of us lagging out at the same time. It's easily noticeable when everyone on comms says at the same time "am I the only one that lagged out". At no point on Saturday did everyone experience major problems.

The warping is purely lag and connection quality related. Some of your guys had some packet loss (quality) and some had relatively high pings (200-250 rather than 100). Both these things can vary in the big world of the internet depending on the route the data takes between any one person and the server.

When we joined the practise on your server most of our guys experienced the same issue, we were all warping to some degree relative to each other. A couple of us on a certain nameless isp were worse than others due to about a 20% packet loss rate :( We aren't blaiming that on your server. It's all just the nature of the internet.

Apparently too many fish are chewing on the cable between NZ and Aus :)
- Death to Smoochy

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:34 am

BTW
If it was a server problem , we would have been lagging for each other too, but for most of us, all the new zealand drivers had good connections the whole race.
:>

ASRGRich

Post by ASRGRich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Hey! I was refering to the test race the previous week. I thought that was obvious, My Bad sry.

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:48 pm

ASRGRich wrote:Hey! I was refering to the test race the previous week. I thought that was obvious, My Bad sry.
Heh. You'll have to forgive us. We're still blinded with rage over our inept cricket team and it looks like you've suffered here from a few cases of a little ailment we like to refer to as "There's an Aussie...GET HIM!"

:D
Don't make me destroy you.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:48 pm

ASRGRich wrote:Hey! I was refering to the test race the previous week. I thought that was obvious, My Bad sry.

nah if it was obvious we wouldnt have replied in the negative, bads all round, plus the topic tile is post test race comments. post practice comments is in another thread :)

ASRGRich

Post by ASRGRich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:23 pm

I've posted a couple of nice screenies at ASRG

The Big one at the bottom has got to involve the most number of cars I've ever seen... I count 17 in that screen shot + quite a few more out of screen shot... Looks like a bees nest.

http://www.asrg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9926#9926

Great stuff.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:31 pm

ASRGRich wrote:I've posted a couple of nice screenies at ASRG

The Big one at the bottom has got to involve the most number of cars I've ever seen... I count 17 in that screen shot + quite a few more out of screen shot... Looks like a bees nest.

http://www.asrg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9926#9926

Great stuff.
The questions is; You was responsible. :D

I have yet to look at the replay.
Odie

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:32 pm

It was the other team, someone was pushed from behind , just in front of me :>

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:33 pm

ASRGRich wrote:We're still blinded with rage over our inept cricket team
I didn't think we were going to talk about that anymore. ;(

Our bad Rich ;)
- Death to Smoochy

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:47 pm

cricket ? what's that then ? :>
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:30 pm

BAZZIL wrote:cricket ? what's that then ? :>
A game we don't play well.. O_o
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:49 pm

Cricket...thats an insect right?

Seriously though, I have the chance to watch it every once in awhile, but since I don't understand it, it has never interested me.

Can someone either explain it to me or point me in the direction to learn, so I understand it?
Odie

]-[ITMAN

Post by ]-[ITMAN » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:51 pm

http://www.ng-gamers.com/files/davemcreeishisname.avi [12Meg DivX]

Very quick and dirty fly-by of the lap two carnage... we soooooo should have restarted this deal in hindsight, however as I was one of the trucks to make it through the mess (from 38th to 15th), and considering I'd told all the guys that there was absolutely no restarts possible under any condition I typed a quick 'no' when the 'rs' question was raised.

Plenty of stuff to be learnt, in fact for the next one I reckon we restart if something this big happens this early as it really did effect the outcome at the end of the day...

Can't wait for Prom's uber highlight vid... I think I'm going to have to get him to send across the DVD version so I can distribute it amongst the Aussie Team...

Great comments from both sides of the Tasman on the rematch. I think we should let the dust settle first and enjoy the event for what it was. Part of the aura of this event was the hype built up around it... Plus is was something not really done before. Each of these types of events should stand by themselves and have a certain intensity that goes a little bit beyond our normal league races.

We're definately oh so going to have a re match... I'm leaning towards Daytona Night BR myself, its another awesome super speedway. I'm not sure a road coarse would work as well for this kind of Test Match event, however I'm more than willing to give it a try, however there's less of a team aspect to working together on a roady. :)

chronic

Post by chronic » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:08 pm

Boy that was a real nasty one but I got through it as well luckily.