GPL 69 mod race - Laguna Seca - Thurs 24 Aug

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:58 am

updated points:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Transit

Post by Transit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks for the great stats Guys :)
Interesting how Brett was most consistant in race 1 and won...
enjoying the gentlemanly comments on driver behaviour too :D
Driver etiquette is part of the fun. I have really enjoyed learning backmarker skills :D
use of mirrors becomes very important as well as off racing line driving :D
where to next ?
Pete
E6550/8800gts320/G25/Oakchair

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am

Transit wrote:...where to next ?
Pete
If you look at the points table you will see that last three rounds are at WtG, Mos, Ind. That's Watkins Glen (from original GPL CD or 2004 Demo, is the same track with updated graphics), Mosport (from original GPL CD) and Indy Oval 1967 (download).

For points table we are counting best 12 races from 16, means that regulars like Brett and Gordy and Pete and myself will drop some of our lower scores. Probably puts Gordy in a slight lead for the title.

Riven's been a little slow in posting replays (there is a "Server Replays" sticky thread, then click on GPL replays link), but if you download, unzip, then open any lap from replay in GPL Replay Analyser, you can generate HTML web pages with practice / race results and graphs and lap charts etc. See Transit's avatar for an example. I'll post some screenies in the weekend. Post here if you need more instructions on how to do this.

Transit

Post by Transit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:12 am

Cheers vandem :)
Hope I can make it
the daughter is under instructions to complete homework at school on a thursday :D

Pete G

Post by Pete G » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:09 pm

vandem wrote:Just as well we are all gentlemen racers, or I would've got upset at drivers who pull out of the pits into the path of somebody on a hot qualifying lap ...
Is there some method of checking for approaching drivers as it obviously can't be done visually without exiting pits at a very odd angle, even using mirrors?

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Pete G wrote:
vandem wrote:Just as well we are all gentlemen racers, or I would've got upset at drivers who pull out of the pits into the path of somebody on a hot qualifying lap ...
Is there some method of checking for approaching drivers as it obviously can't be done visually without exiting pits at a very odd angle, even using mirrors?
Pribluda. I check when I get to pit exit, if there is anybody within 5-10 seconds behind me and closing I'll wait. This may change if we get 15+ drivers, but with our current fields there is always a gap.

This WILL be an issue at the Glen, pit exit feeds directly into the racing line.

Transit

Post by Transit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:04 pm

I tend to have a quick onboard look back through the other drivers to see if anyone is coming.
Planning a place to be passed by a hotlapper is useful too :)

Pete

Zippys

Qualifying...

Post by Zippys » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:05 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the useful information on this - I just took pot luck that no one was coming, but using Pribluda in this way & the using the viewer is another good option.

So I guess we should be able to manage the risk at tracks like WG.

Cheers
Grant.

Transit

Post by Transit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:52 pm

With the low view distance I use, often I hear someone behind me before I see them :)
On tracks like Spa when there is only one other person, I PO so they catch and pass me after T2 or 3
then I try to keep up...
sad that the pickup races are pretty quiet ...
thank goodness for leagues :)

Pete

mctshirt

Post by mctshirt » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:36 am

The Team Mctshirt season took another nose dive destroying the optimistic outlook after finally finishing a couple of races. Pedal issues meant a frantic rebuild during qualifying involving a large screwdriver, racing tape and copius quantities of CRC (yes, I know it's not right but time was running out) I thought we were good to go after a recalibrate but as I pushed the pedal through to the floor at the start of Race 1 a big fat nothing happened...stranded at the start line the field disappeared and the old tried and true method of kicking the snot out of it failed to produce any sign of life :mad: A number of recalibrations and testing produced mixed results but finally it seemed ok so we lined up for Race 2. The flag dropped and I spluttered off after the field with what felt like a miss at max revs...there was no joy in it at all so after the leaders, backmarkers, and a couple of old ladies on mobility scooters passed me I threw in the towel and took to my bed to listen to whale noises. A brand new second hand wheel is on order and if it doesn't arrive I'll bite the bullet and go back to the buttons on the wheel for Watkins Glen...I love watching cars disappearing off the loop (seagull noises) :D
"Nerves of iron and enduring hope were among the principle ingredients of a Muriwai racing drivers makeup in the early 20's."
New Zealand Weekly News
Jan 5, 1966

Gordy

Post by Gordy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:17 am

vandem wrote:updated points:
Hey Marty, who came third in the first race at Edmonton? You have a 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. Can I have the 3rd? :)

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Gordy wrote:
Hey Marty, who came third in the first race at Edmonton? You have a 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. Can I have the 3rd? :)
oops. I'll check and fix.

famin

Post by famin » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 pm

3rd would have been the eponymous Pete Arron?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:53 pm

vandem wrote:
Gordy wrote:
oops. I'll check and fix.
OK. Looks like in my excitement at Edmonton I messed up the points, but I don't have a replay so I can't check. I think race 1 was Brett-me-Pete-Dennis with Geoff disco'd, Gordy AWOL. Brett: can you please check on your replay?