NASCAR Tonight - Prize up for grabs

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

NASCAR Tonight - Prize up for grabs

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:12 pm

In order to promote serious, league-like racing for tonights practice run we're gonna give a prize to the person with the most consistent lappage. This'll either be the guy topping the "Race Lap Consistancy" or "On track laps" section of the replay analysis. Haven't quite decided exactly which of these is best to use (your input is welcome of course).

Anyhoo, I have a brand new copy of Troy on DVD to whoever keeps the steadiest ship tonight. What better motivation is there than Brad in a skirt to keep us on track and make us slow for accidents?

:D
Don't make me destroy you.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:15 pm

go Skuz :)

Perhaps you can add the 2 values together and divide by 2 or something random :)
I suspect everyone will have high on track laps as you can race a jumbo jet around the track she's that wide.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:19 pm

BAZZIL wrote:go Skuz :)

and the steadiest ship I assume is the most 'consistent' driver ? :o
That's the theory. Hopefully the prospect of a freebie will help us all race like it were a league night rather than a casual bash n' bump fest. Maybe. :B

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:21 pm

BAZZIL wrote:go Skuz :)

Perhaps you can add the 2 values together and divide by 2 or something random :)
I suspect everyone will have high on track laps as you can race a jumbo jet around the track she's that wide.
Crikey, yer changin yer posts on me son! Maybe a couple of comittee members could take a look at both and make a subjective decision?

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:22 pm

it's my unique dynamic posting skill :>~
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:47 pm

I say go with Race Lap consitentency or however you spell it. _b
Odie

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:04 pm

Hmmmm, let me see......

The replay analyser software is run on the replay from my PC, I then generate the html web site on my PC and upload it to my web space and link it in the forums!

Now if I had a simple text editor I could alter the figures to reflect the most deserving winning of the wonderful prize............

Ok Skuzz, my address is............ }8D
Inspector

---

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:11 pm

Im lost, doesn't the winner always have the best consistancy?
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:19 pm

Most of the time it is, so may be we go with a random draw after the race.

The drawing will not be by name, but position. If we have 25 drivers, we put in 25 numbers. Draw a number and that position wins the prize.

Just a thought
Odie

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:37 pm

There could be a problem with on track laps, as you can sometimes take a perfectly valid line around the track and it is sometimes called an off track lap, or on other tracks 10 people could get 100% on track.

Also you need a requirement to complete the race with laptime consistensy or you can do 5 laps, then retire and you will have the highest consistensy.

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:38 pm

Dunno lads, doesn't matter how just so long as we encourage/reward skillful (although not neccessarily winning) driving tonight.

:>

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Quickest pitstop maybe...that takes skill. The lap time is rolled up into the pitstop. It will be hard to tell if a driver made a 2 or 4 tire stop, or even just fuel. But integrity counts here.

The replay analysis report will show laps times and when someone pitted.

Inspector would just have to look at everyones lap times when they pit. Hell, I'm willing to look at the lap times to help.
Odie

Hexx

Post by Hexx » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:11 pm

Mabey you should give the prize to the single fastest lap time. Just a Suggestion.

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:25 pm

Howz about we draw it randomly but only from the top 15 places.
That way it incentivises ( :eek: is that a word?) ~gives good reason~ for the whole field to compete to the end. ;)
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:29 pm

Biteme wrote:Howz about we draw it randomly but only from the top 15 places.
That way it incentivises ( :eek: is that a word?) ~gives good reason~ for the whole field to compete to the end. ;)
It's a word now ;) but yes, I think this is the fairest way to encourage us all to drive sensibly til the end tonight.

Top 15 into a hat, winner takes home Brad.

Any advances?

Hexx

Post by Hexx » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:30 pm

I think that that is a BRILLIANT idea, If only i had thought of it first

Wood

Post by Wood » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:32 pm

The race consistancy chart is useless around a superspeedway, no matter what your skill level it is flat out all the way. So there should only be a variation of maybe 0.1sec when you're running by yourself. Also you have no control over your speed, you are reliant on the cars around you to generate lap times, it doesn't reflect on your ability in the slightest.
The consistancy chart is only useful in showing howmany crashes you get involved in, thus those who feature strongly in the race results also feature strongly on the chart.

On track laps is also a crash indicator, nothing more. Who drives off the track on a superspeedway? the only time spent off the racing surface is when there is either a crash or when you go into the pits. Only useful around a road course, where it is possible to enter a corner too fast and run wide.

Inspectors enduro win is a model of how racing skill and an intelligent approach triumphs. I don't think anyone can dispute that Inspector is one of the steadiest ships out there, hence is ability to 'punch above his weight' so to speak, but there is no way to quantatively measure intelligent racing practice.

I dont mean to offend you Inspector :)

None taken at all - I saw it as a compliment - I know I am not fast and that is why I try to race inteligently. :)
Brake on the straight before it's too late.

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:35 pm

Wood wrote:

Inspectors enduro win is a model of how racing skill and an intelligent approach triumphs. I don't think anyone can dispute that Inspector is one of the steadiest ships out there, hence is ability to 'punch above his weight' so to speak, but there is no way to quantatively measure intelligent racing practice.

I dont mean to offend you Inspector :)
Yeah! In my country we call that being a Clever Pr*ck

:)
"Run Yasmine Run"

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:35 pm

Exactly right Wood, we reached that conclusion too while you were tapping out that reply by the looks of it :)

Wood

Post by Wood » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:39 pm

yes I was slowly typing it out after odie's post :o
Brake on the straight before it's too late.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:59 pm

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the race tonight as I am unable to leave work. The issue seems to be that my head has swelled so much that I can't get out the door........

Thanks Mr Wood, high praise indeed coming from you. I believe there are more and more drivers adapting my style of driving, although I certainly didn't invent it and guys like Bold are an even better example of how well it works.

I guess another idea for the prize would be this. Forget where you finish etc, if you are within say 10 or 15? laps of the lead car then you go into the draw (along with the lead car I hasten to add) this indicates consistancy and that you didn't give up cos you got spun up once or twice. An encouragement even if you are coming last to keep competing consistantly to stay within those laps of the leader. Remembering that the leader also may get involved in an incident.

Any good?
Inspector

---

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:14 pm

Yep, that's good, although I think having the top 15 positions might offer more encouragement to drivers downfield to keep pushing since it's probably going to be easier to make up a position to get back inside the cutoff mark than to make up a whole lap. If you get what I mean.

(The in depth discussions we get into around here over such small things are great arn't they?)

(:

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:19 pm

Public opinion might also be a voice if people should be in the draw ?

Sometimes the full and frank discussions that occur either via text message or Ventrillo raise issues on peoples' driving skills (or rather the distinct absense of them).

Some people have been able to finish high on the results while . . . "raising the eyebrows of their fellow drivers."
YouTube videos

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:28 pm

Will Riven be taking care of the server tonite?
Odie

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:21 pm

odonohuesp wrote:Will Riven be taking care of the server tonite?
I'm sorting it now.
Inspector

---