New Zealand NASCAR League Rule Amendment - PLEASE READ

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
TonyG

New Zealand NASCAR League Rule Amendment - PLEASE READ

Post by TonyG » Wed May 04, 2005 11:46 am

Two rules to tidy up before we start a new season.
These rules will be added or amended at SimRacerHQ shortly

This will replace the current penalty for deliberately taking out another car

Deliberately taking out another car:
Automatic removal from the New Zealand NASCAR League. This action may be the result of a protest or a unilateral decision by the organisers.

This is the full Passing clause with amendments for yellow line and passing infringements

12. Passing

All passing manoeuvres are the responsibility of the overtaking car. No one is expected to move off the racing line for anyone, including the race leader. "This is not road racing". It is easier and safer for a group of fast cars to overtake a slower car if the slow car maintains a steady line, even if that line is the race groove.

However it is common courtesy to move over carefully (and early) and allow the faster cars, especially the leader, safe passage and it also makes good race sense to do so and then latch on behind those fast cars and use their draft to go faster as well yourself. You will only slow the faster cars by trying to stay in front of them and will learn much by following faster cars as well as increasing your own speed in their draft. Do not attempt to join the overtaking fast group in the middle of the pack, join at the back. Manoeuvres like that may be protested and penalised.

Protests will be accepted for "late race" intentional blocking of cars you are not racing for position. (I.e. blocking to aid team members or racing against cars which are not for effective position) Race and situational awareness are a vital part of racing and this is especially important in the closing stages of a race. You are expected to be aware (especially in the latter part of the race) of the cars around you and how to behave in these situations. For example, it is good race etiquette to get out of the way of cars racing each other for position even when they are a lap or two down on you, but if you are racing someone and other cars are between you (but a lap down) and also racing each other, do not expect right of passage.

Any car punting another in an attempt to pass or force a pass will be penalized.

Any car brake checking another in an attempt to cause an incident will be penalized.

A driver MUST not pass another car below the yellow painted line on the inner edge of Superspeedway tracks. Protests can be submitted if a car moves below (i.e. 2 wheels) the yellow line while passing another car.

The only exception to the yellow line rule is if the passing car has no option but to go below the yellow line to avoid an accident that is ahead of them on the track which results in an inadvertent pass on another car.

Defending your racing line is acceptable when racing for position, but a penalty can be applied to a car that forces a passing car below the yellow line or causes an accident by coming down on the passing car if this car is positioned inside the car being passed. Similarly the passing car can be penalised if they do not maintain a low line while passing (thus causing an accident).
[Definition - "positioned inside" is defined as the front of the passing car must be at least up to the rear wheel of the car being passed]

Remember that as the overtaking car you have the responsibilty to effect a clean pass. If you see a gap up the inside and suddenly jam your car into it (even if you have made the other cars back wheel) this would not be termed a responsible overtaking manouvere and having viewed your sudden actions the protest committee might penalize you rather than the car being overtaken.

As a rule we are saying that if you leave room on the inside and a car moves into that gap and manages to get through enough that he has got his front bumper up to your rear wheel, then you must maintain a steady, straight line and let him hold his line as well. You do not have to back off, he must still effect the pass on you, but you must not move to block or push him below the yellow line, you must maintain a steady line (i.e. drive as if you are in a marked lane).

Always keep in mind the result to yourself and other drivers when you make sudden, erratic moves in this type of door to door racing. No amount of rules will protect you if you do stupid things. The protest committee are drivers as well and whilst they fully understand the meaning of the rules they also have the freedom to judge your intentions and attitude so please drive accordingly.
edited ammendment so it read amendment ;)
Last edited by TonyG on Wed May 04, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Wed May 04, 2005 12:20 pm

Well done Tony _b

This one rule is very important and should be read carefully by "ALL" drivers.

The biggest percentage of protests and non protested incidents come from failed overtaking manouveres. Some of these are obviously people failing to slow for accidents and hitting people from behind, the rest come from cars jamming up the inside or failing to hold a steady line when driving door to door.

The rules are stated very clearly so read them. But always keep in mind that protests will be judged firstly by the rules but there "will" be consequences for stupid actions. Go out on the track with a clear knowledge of the rules and an a winning attitude, but never forget that the other cars are driven by people like you so (as MadMarty would say) "Treat others how you wish to be treated".
Inspector

---

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Wed May 04, 2005 12:50 pm

Can I make a small suggestion re the rule about defending your line.

The rule in Kart Racing, and im pretty sure is the same in most other motorsports states you may change your line once to defend from a passing move, but only once. This only applies if you are racing for position.

This means if you are driving normally and it looks like someone is going to go up the inside you can move over to the inside line. If they then switch to go around the outside you are not allowed to change your line again. This is once per straight/corner, so you can defend again once you are on the next straight.

How does that sound?

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed May 04, 2005 1:28 pm

Doesn't sound good to me......the reason I say that is you can pretty much still block the whole way. On a superspeedway you have to get a run and if a car goes to make the block the passing car will have to lift and try for the run again. It is very difficult to get 2 runs in a single straight/corner on a superspeedway.
Odie

famin

Post by famin » Wed May 04, 2005 1:53 pm

I think the statement of that rule needs further clarification im afraid.

I read it as:
"No one is expected to move off the racing line for anyone, including the race leader EXCEPT if you are deemed to be performing a "late race" intentional blocking of cars you are not racing for position."

or to put it another way you dont ever have to move off line but we might penalise you for doing that in special circumstances!??

I suggest keeping it simple and just state, "You dont ever have to move off your line and this rule is above all other rules."

(Like the first law of robotics)

ps: ammendment has only 2 ems.... amendment... please!
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Wed May 04, 2005 2:00 pm

I like the idea, same rule as F1. Although I have to say we don't get too much dodgey side to side blocking anyway. I suppose the question for me is "does real nascar racing have such a rule?" If it doesn't I would probably say no but if it does I thinks it's a good idea. It's more work reviewing protests for someone however which ain't much fun either :O_o:

All the following examples in all their mspaint glory work from top to bottom. First part shows the situation just after the trailing car has moved out of the lead cars draft to effect a pass. Once the red car has moved to block in the second part it is not allowed to move over to block the passing car as it changes lines to come past in the third part. If anyone is chopping down infront of a passing car where they don't have enough room to avoid them they should be slapped :p

Example 1: Red is driving roughly in the middle of the track, moves low to block green on the inside so green switches to the middle/outside.

Example 2: green is mid track and red moves to block midle. Green can go low or high and red can't make another move to block.

Example 3: You get the idea.

The more I think about it writing this the less well I think it would work on ovals :rolleyes:

If nothing else this post has served to provide comic relief with my glorious paint skills :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed May 04, 2005 2:03 pm

if they put guns on the cars and we could blow up the car in front we wouldn't have this whole passing problem.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Wed May 04, 2005 2:13 pm

Good idea Bazzil. Lets runn Deathkarz for the road league :p
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Wed May 04, 2005 2:29 pm

famin wrote:I think the statement of that rule needs further clarification im afraid.

I read it as:
"No one is expected to move off the racing line for anyone, including the race leader EXCEPT if you are deemed to be performing a "late race" intentional blocking of cars you are not racing for position."

or to put it another way you dont ever have to move off line but we might penalise you for doing that in special circumstances!??

I suggest keeping it simple and just state, "You dont ever have to move off your line and this rule is above all other rules."

(Like the first law of robotics)

ps: ammendment has only 2 ems.... amendment... please!

If you can't work out the common sense of late race blocking and fights for position then you should return to being a rookie. I will clarify for you.

During the race you are entitled to hold your line. At the end of a race when you are a lap down and between (e.g.) 2nd and 3rd and block 3rd from being able to attack 2nd then you will get protested and penalised. If you are battling with another car and say you are in 15th and 16th place is right up your bum then 3rd who is behind the two of you is not going to expect you to move over and give up your position so he can get to 2nd place.
Inspector

---

famin

Post by famin » Wed May 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Real nascar rules: (best I can find as the rules book is only for those who pay the $400 to join nascar)

The Flags: http://www.rjistockcarsite.com/nascarflags.htm

http://www.jayski.com/pages/faqrace.htm (just out of interest)

Note the blue flag with diagonal orange stripe. Shown to drivers to let someone pass. This is OPTIONAL and can be ignored! However continued blocking may result in a protest.

All right Inspector, no need to get personal, Im just trying to clarify what appeared to be inconsistent statements.

Now all you have to do is define "late race" ? last 5 laps maybe?

and the rules now state that moving over is entirely optional but the judges may deem that your lack of courtesy deserves a penalty.

I can live with that!
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Wed May 04, 2005 2:47 pm

Ventrillo is the key to Inspectors post above. If ppl are going to go into their team channels, they need to have binding setup so they can come back and communicate with the rest of us to perform this sort of stuff.
"Run Yasmine Run"

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Wed May 04, 2005 3:53 pm

BAZZIL wrote:if they put guns on the cars and we could blow up the car in front we wouldn't have this whole passing problem.
Great, only problem then would be with the five remaining cars dodging all the debris across the track :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed May 04, 2005 4:59 pm

Got it. _b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast