NASCAR League Penalties

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Chequers

NASCAR League Penalties

Post by Chequers » Thu May 12, 2005 8:21 pm

I have just had a look at the points chart and it occurs to me that there is an anomoly in that a driver can be penalised more points than he has earned in an individual race. This means that the penalty carries over to the next race. Hardly a good look if the object of issuing penalties is designed to get errant drivers to tow the line.
I would suggest either of two alternatives.
1. Maximum accumulated penalties to be awarded in any event to not exceed the the total points earned in the race (bonus and race).
or
2. Maximum penalties to be awarded to total a figure which will not reduce the points scored for the event below 34. i.e. points awarded for last place in a 43 car field.

I realise that the organisers don't want to keep modifying the rules but it strikes me that there is a measure of unfairness in the way penalties can currently be applied, and in particular, the impact they have on team scores.
I'm unsure if this is the proper way of raising this matter but it is, after all, just a suggestion, and, no, I have NOT discussed this with famin.
What do you think?

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Thu May 12, 2005 8:34 pm

This was discussed by the organisers, the way the points have been removed is the only fair way because:

drivers have to be penalised the same amount of points for the same offence otherwise,

if driver A only had 50 points on the board but commited 3x50 point offences in one race(150 points) BUT was only penalised 50 points (making his total 0)

and

driver B only had 50 points but commited 3x50 point offences over the next 4 races he would be penalised 150 points, as he would have earned points during his other races

Obviously not fair to driver B............it is the offence that counts

Hope this makes sense

Chequers

Post by Chequers » Thu May 12, 2005 9:14 pm

It doesn't make sense but I accept it.
It suggests to me that the penalty points for each incident are too high, especially when applied to a driver who for whatever reason is having a bad race and commits a number of indiscretions, but I'm not arguing about it - it just doesn't fit with MY sense of fairness.
End of discussion I guess.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Thu May 12, 2005 9:22 pm

The 50 points examples above are just examples, the points can range from 5 to 50 :)

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Thu May 12, 2005 9:49 pm

The whole point of penalties is to deter people from driving like munters. What better deterent than losing all your points and then some if you do silly stuff on track.

:cute:
Don't make me destroy you.

Post by Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 9:51 pm

Chequers wrote:it just doesn't fit with MY sense of fairness.
it never does, it never will, we know that from previous experience dont we Pat :D

if a driver is involved in several incidents, then why shouldnt he lose a suitble amount of points per incident, even if it means he's gonna end up with negative points for the race.

if the driver didn't learn from the first incident, then carried and created a second and heaven forbid a third in the same race, then a reminder in the next race may help him adjust his attitude towards his fellow racers.

then there's the victim(s) of the incidents caused, where's the fairness in the points they may have lost thru no fault of their own.

while the penelty system isnt there to avenge the victim, it is there to encourage good behaviour by all, sometimes some of us need a little more 'incentive' to behave properly.

I can assume, you wont be filing a protest against Danman, in accordance with the rules, as it wouldnt be fair on the team :p

Chequers

Post by Chequers » Fri May 13, 2005 9:25 pm

ronwest wrote: I can assume, you wont be filing a protest against Danman, in accordance with the rules, as it wouldnt be fair on the team :p
Of course I'm not going to protest Danman. He made a mistake and apologised for it. It wasn't a reckless error, just a mistake which we all make at times, don't we Ron. If we are going to be encouraged to protest every incident of this nature rather than just the occasions of bad or reckless driving then we may as well all stay in the bloody garage, because we all make mistakes. :rolleyes: