GTR Stress test tuesday 24/5/05

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Wed May 25, 2005 12:53 pm

diseased - have you read this?

Very highly recommended - especially for those new to online racing. Not saying you need it, still it's useful for even the old hands as a bit of a reminder re ettiquite etc.

diseased

Post by diseased » Wed May 25, 2005 1:40 pm

yupyup, read it many many times and I try to live by it.
In point of fact, that was what I based my own 'Code of Acceptable Behaviour on My Server' page on, hehehe.
"It is what it is."

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed May 25, 2005 1:41 pm

I'd say put all the aids on you can get until you learn the track, if you don't know what way the corner ahead is going, then what good is all your fancy aids off / careful braking / car control going to do ? :)

Once you know all the corners on the track, I think it's best to sort out your braking, so turn braking to low and then off after a while.

Once you have braking sorted, you can turn traction control down, and later on off.

That's about it really, a setup alone isn't going to keep you on the track, once you can brake alright and accelerate alright, then do a setup.

but as agent says, if having some aids on means it's more fun then why not ?
if "look at me I drive round with no aids on" makes you feel good, then good on ya :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

diseased

Post by diseased » Wed May 25, 2005 2:18 pm

Baz... that's pretty much the mindset I used when I was runing my 'Just For Fun' GTR2002/whatever-else-we-felt-like-racing server.
Just because all aids were allowed didn't mean people were forced to use them, and I found that few people used the aids to get a leg up, simply because they really don't help you do that (with the two exceptions being Steering Assist <provides more front grip, I've found> and TC with ABS coming in 3rd). Found it to be a good way of equalising the playing field, so to speak.
That said, I do feel that learning to drive properly will make you a faster driver and no amount of aids will help that. That's what GPL did for me.
"It is what it is."

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed May 25, 2005 2:24 pm

I think Bazz could do with a dash of ABS...

:cute:
Don't make me destroy you.

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed May 25, 2005 2:39 pm

One thing I didn't want to start was "if you use aids you are no good" or I don't use them - I'm better than you" type of post. (Although I don't believe anyone here has that mentality)
I'm more interested in helping the less experienced guys get better and overall everyone having lots of fun.

Growler.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed May 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Skuzzlebutt wrote:I think Bazz could do with a dash of ABS...

:cute:
but but but ;p
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.