Nascar CTS League - Race 6 California Speedway

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Chequers

Post by Chequers » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:35 pm

Flyboy69 wrote:
Chequers wrote:.
Anyway, last night's effort was rewarded with a spot on the Test Team- Yeeeah :D
Hmmm check the team list, everyone was told to put your skin up by the start of tonights practice or you wouldnt be racing, urrmmm your skin is still not there and the practice started 34 minutes ago, and worst till you need the practice and your still not there.
I don't have access to a computer during the working day. I saw my name on the list this morning before heading off to work and then checked in again after tea. I had no idea that there was a requirement to upload the skin and I still can't find the post which asks us to do so.
But hey, what the heck, if you don't want me on the team so be it.

Oh, and Ron, I know you just LOVED being the bearer of bad news.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:38 pm

Chequers wrote: One of the 'sage pieces of advice' that I received during the bagging I got last week was to slow down when approaching a multi-car wreck and not go charging through the melee.
Well, silly old me, I followed that advice. I even set up a new autochat message which said WARNING I AM SLOWING TO AVOID AN INCIDENT which I posted when the spotter warned me of a wreck.
Guess what happened? On 3 of 4 occasions when I slowed because of multi-car incident that I could see might be messy I was passed by drivers who were competing with me for my race position. I wouldn't like to think that there is one rule for me and a different rule for everyone else. :p
I can tell you I won't be giving up my race position quite so easily in the future.
Yes it's a bit of a tricky one this, not sure what to do here , Drivers should be being careful round accidents, we almost need a no passing during accidents rule or something.

suggestions ppl ? :>
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:39 pm

if chequers couldn't uploadload his truck cause he was at work, then I think he should be in the Team for the weekend race.
Boom Boom !

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:47 pm

It would be just about impossible to police a no passing rule when slowing for accidents, I guess this is where experience comes in, judging the gap etc.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Yah, depends on the severity of the accidnet ahead, obviously if the accident is off to the side of the track and there is a clear path through, then you don't need to slow down much, but if there is a large pile up infront then you do need to slow down quite a bit.
Boom Boom !

M

Post by M » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:04 am

Also you can have situations like one that happened to me last week when not only was the accident after a corner and braking was not an option, but the accident looked to be off the track until it was too late and cars suddenly appeared on the track due the number of cars ahead and the number of cars set in my options for forward viewing (20).

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:10 am

BAZZIL wrote:
Chequers wrote: One of the 'sage pieces of advice' that I received during the bagging I got last week was to slow down when approaching a multi-car wreck and not go charging through the melee.
Well, silly old me, I followed that advice. I even set up a new autochat message which said WARNING I AM SLOWING TO AVOID AN INCIDENT which I posted when the spotter warned me of a wreck.
Guess what happened? On 3 of 4 occasions when I slowed because of multi-car incident that I could see might be messy I was passed by drivers who were competing with me for my race position. I wouldn't like to think that there is one rule for me and a different rule for everyone else. :p
I can tell you I won't be giving up my race position quite so easily in the future.
Yes it's a bit of a tricky one this, not sure what to do here , Drivers should be being careful round accidents, we almost need a no passing during accidents rule or something.

suggestions ppl ? :>
Not to bring up a old topic, but then we will be doing what we got away from 4 seasons ago; No passing for 2 laps. I wouldn't like the rule of no passing during an accident.
Odie

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:22 am

You can't do much more than say it's up to individual drivers to judge how slow they should go to avoid the dings. Sometimes you will get over taken by drivers who don't slow down for dings and they will be the ones that go pop pop.

Basically if you can drive around the track and avoid all the crashes by slowing down for them, you're going to do pretty well anyway o_O
:>

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:55 am

You certainly loose places occasionally when slowing for accidents but on balence you gain a lot more than you loose.

You can't slow for accidents for one race, have some bad luck with people getting past you and then say "bs wtf hax don't slow for accidents it suxorz" (excuse my leet speak I'm not up to par :p).

How many of those people that came past you during accidents at full speed actually ended up finishing ahead of you?

How many of them had slowed but just hadn't slowed as much as you? (people will judge how much to slow and no two people will slow exactly the same amount.)

Watch Odie or Bazz or Wood or any of the other top drivers approaching accidents on the replays. You can see the speed drop off and hear the engine rpm drop as they approach. Different amounts depending on the accidents but you learn what is and is not a gap with time and how much you need to slow. Personally I almost never slowed for accidents in Season 2 and I was averaging about 15 places worse in the finishing order every race than I am this season. I'd credit at least 10 of those places to slowing for accidents.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:01 am

quite right eagle.

In Hillside I started at the back and I started trundling round carefuly because I Knew there was going to be dings.

an accident here, and accident there, I slowed right down for. I lost a few positions at times with drivers gunning it through but still I pressed on :P I got up to second position before the first pitstop, but what happened to all the drivers that passed me you ask ? :O

They all dinged it going too fast into crashes. I invite you to watch ze Bazzil for the first 10 laps or so on Hillside ;p Just a shame the engine went pop in that race :>

I think saying after one race you're going to forget about slowing down in accident areas because you got passed a couple of times is a recepie for your own disaster and you will eventualy collide in an accident area because of your thinking, and will well get penalised for it :)
Boom Boom !

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:34 am

Happy wrote:You can't do much more than say it's up to individual drivers to judge how slow they should go to avoid the dings. Sometimes you will get over taken by drivers who don't slow down for dings and they will be the ones that go pop pop.

Basically if you can drive around the track and avoid all the crashes by slowing down for them, you're going to do pretty well anyway o_O
That didn't work for me at hillside, horrific...getting spun around and made part of the trackside objects for a few laps (waiting for a gap to rejoin) certaintly didn't help....

A year or so ago I woulda just gone for it, slowing down for accidents what's that for..Days of Thunder approach...lol...now I probably err on too cautious side..at least I dont feature in the "caused big ding you !@#$%" discussions much if at all.

All about getting the balance right for me now and improving in key areas like catching and holding a draft, pitting and safe passing when it counts.

California was great in practice, race time all the great ideas went out the window, I judged slowing for accidents badly, different lines both opened the door to wide and made passing just a nightmare, slow in fast out approach was fine if running with someone with similar lines, but mostly I just got frustrated at getting cutoff or held out, even inside first 20 when I thought at least that I was faster.

Overall in hindsight I didn't adapt to the conditions well enough, got outta step on stops, failed to latch on to the right trains and wore my tires out trying to get round mobile roadblocks. In a word frustrating.

Ah well..all grist for the mill.
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:49 pm

BAZZIL wrote:if chequers couldn't uploadload his truck cause he was at work, then I think he should be in the Team for the weekend race.
Hes had the skin since the 18th of feb, there have been posts in this forum and also in the nascar racers and also over ventilo a number of times. A 2 second and he couldnt do it in 2 1/2 weeks.

I put a post up saying what would happen.

Shall we vote on it then.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Is there going to be a server replay posted?

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:30 pm

Lol.. just finished posting it now :)