Nascar CTS League - Race 7 Lowe’s Motor Speedway (Night)

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:51 pm

famin wrote:
Happy wrote:But interestingly enough I tried to pass you about 3 times and all 3 times you changed your line to stop me passing. 1 block is ok, but any more than that and you're just asking to be taken out, and that's what happened isnt it ;p ?
aaah so that WAS deliberate was it? I wondered about that after I tried to get a draft from you and was spun out.

hmmm... so youre saying that if a slower car holds his line and slows a faster car up then after a suitable amount of time its OK for the faster car to punt the slower one out of the way!!!

id say that was what the other guys are all complaining about IMHO.

You have to remember that getting out of the way is a consideration and a risk to the slower cars. in real NASCAR they are told to NOT move off line ever!!! its entirely up to the passing car to pass.

but dont worry I wont be back for a loooong time if ever.
No no, it was not deliberate, but I was getting annoyed being stuck behind you. I tried to force the pass because that was the only way I was going to get through. I didn't "try" to ding you.
:>

M

Post by M » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:57 pm

rob_c57 wrote:
M wrote:You never got up close to me, you were always more than a tenth of a second behind . . .
Um . . . please don't take this as having a go at you, M . . . this is afterall, just a comment in a thread to help us ALL have better racing, but I usually start to think about letting a guy pass me if he has caught me and is inside 0.5 seconds . . . but that's just me . . . I know I'm a WUSS.

If you leave it till a guy IS 0.1 seconds behind you before you decide to yield, then maybe that's why you find it hard to react in time ? . . .
There was nothing to react to. He wasn't going as fast or moving closer and in fact at one point dropped about three places back. When he finally did get some speed, I moved over and let him past. The only time I moved off the line prior to that was when he got stuck on the inside with no draft and rather than let him drop back and lose his place I figured he was a nice guy so I moved over in front of him to pull him along.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:00 pm

Not that its worth much, but I for one, if in doubt let em by, especially if I know they are faster or laps, many possies ahead, oh and Teammates too...(ALWAYS WATCH YOUR F2 or you will be F@#$ed TOO mantra)

Learnt from bitter experience, hold your line at all costs approach often results in your being moved, or the dive under that goes bad fast. I'm probably too generous on that score, but that combined with slowing for accidents ahead, I get caught much less than I used too. Last Night was I hope an abberation.

Its when they appear to go under the yellow to get inside that really annoys me or the half a gap, I'll just make it wider trick, maybe that's sour grapes coz I can't seem to reciprocate very often dunno.
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:09 pm

M wrote:I invite you to create a clip of me blocking you. I never blocked you, and you were going well wide on the turns and into the walls whereas I was able to hug the inside and pull you along on the straights. And you stood to gain no positions and you lost none. Send me a video and we'll see what you're on about.
I probably wouldn't call it blocking but there are degrees of ease and safety to passing. Passing moves needed to get past you were niether easy or safe relative to what they could have been.

I don't know about Mattly but check your replay start of lap 69 to mid-lap 74 from your cars perspective M. If you don't have a replay I might record what I'm talking about after lectures.

Look at the seperation between me and you at the start of lap 69. I close it down in one lap. Now watch as you leave me with no passing options and go round the corners at a relative crawl (well, 10mph less than I want to be going round them). Watch then as BMAN and Odie catch up as well. Do you think you might have been slower? I let Odie through because he's at least 1 lap down and trying to catch back up and to see if he can find a way through. Odie forces it past out of 4 and down the tri-oval and you end up clipping the wall approaching turn 1 attempting to stay high. We all go past.

All you had to do was stay high through 3/4, at a low speed of 152ish MPH (which is what you were dropping too) in the corner I could have been under you at a min. speed of about 160MPH even allowing for the slightly slower speed needed on the exit of 4 to stay low and I would have been through and done. Instead Odie had to force it past leaving us in the dodgey position of 2 wide entering turn 1. The one place on that track you really don't want to be 2-wide.

In hindsight it was only 5 laps. But during the race that feels like a lifetime.

I had no issue passing any other cars all race. Wether they were staying high intentionally in turn 3/4 or wether they were turning in very late I don't know. But they all left the gap and plenty of time for me to get in it so I was taking it al race without causing any accidents.

(No passing options might be a bit unfair. None that I was willing to try jamming through might be closer to the truth.)

No one expects anyone to slow for lead cars. As I said at the beginning however they can make it easy and safe for both cars or they can make it hard and less safe for both cars. The longer cars are stuck behind someone the slower the more likely they are to try progressively more difficult and dangerous passing moves. Why leave it so the only way for somone to pass you is to jam it under you entering a corner when you cold just sit high through that one corner and let them through, I don't really know why I'm writing so much on this, as I said I think that one time behind M was the only time I actually felt I was being held up.

Hell I let several cars past me when I was sitting with a group of cars I didn't really want to get into the middle of when people caught me.

"You have to remember that getting out of the way is a consideration and a risk to the slower cars. in real NASCAR they are told to NOT move off line ever!!! its entirely up to the passing car to pass."

And consessions have to be made because this is online racing NOT real racing.

Even so it's fine when they race on the HI or LOW line, the following driver can take the other line for passing. However, taking a road course style racing line occupies the whole track and brings us back to what I said at the start "there are degrees of ease and safety to passing" especially in online racing where the rules need to be adjusted for the lack of the drivers life being on the line, years of experience and qualifying to get on the track.

I enjoyed Lowes as I did Hillside and Texas. They require a slightly different style of driving and it's nice to mix things up.

Drafting plays a much smaller role and the difference in ability on the track is much more apparent when your stuck behind a slower car. Being beind a slower car and drafting them gains you a lot less on the short straights than you loose in the corners where a slower driver generally looses most of their time. So the fast drivers really aren't going to want to sit behind a slower driver for long. That's not to say there is no benefit to drafting, but the people you can draft with and actually gain a benefit for everyone in the draft is limited.

Odie. Have a look at the attached replay if you get a chance. At the time I assumed I hit you after I got punted by Bman because everything went spinning and I wasn't sure what I'd hit. Looking at my replay however we never came into contact. I'd be interested to see what happened from your point of view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:10 pm

The passing idea...yes it works sometimes. But I can't count the number of times that I passed people on the outside turns 1 & 2, 3 & 4. I was afraid that the truck on the inside would drift up or hit the apron, but it was a chance that I was taking. It takes some getting use to; driving the high line in the turns of Lowes.
Odie

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:15 pm

Eagle.....I will take a look at my replay when I get home. I am currently looking at Jay's replay, since he brought it in on his laptop. And so you know, he does not race on a laptop.

Eagle, is the replay you attached from the server or your own?
Odie

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:17 pm

My own, I just finished downloading the server replay. About to go and take a look at it.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:53 pm

Interesting race allright, one word summed it up for me...patience

Spent 99% of the race with my fuel display up watching the laps count down and thinking to myself "160 laps....no stress...no hurry" and as the spotter kept saying "keep diggin"

Catching up to slower cars - would sit in behind them just putting myself into cruise mode for a lap or two and see what lines they where taking then would normally be able to get a nose low into 1 or 3 and make the pass...figured if I stuck behind a few trucks for awhile would save fuel and get me a short splash at the end....kinda worked :p

Dings - Ventrilo proved its worth with lots of people calling crash locations and lines to take before the spotters (who seem to like calling just after I'd gone past the ding). As for braking hard, not a great fan of it and would just tend to let off the gas at the first sign of smoke and hit 3rd....then have a look at the carnage as I approached and try to spot the hole (90% of the time theres one) and just drive through it off the gas....I tend to loose control if I'm braking hard and turning so find I'm able to keep the truck more under control if I keep off the brakes....of course depends on the situation and the size of the ding...so many factors that theres not one solution to all dings

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks...for some reason we can't get the CTS mod to load on his laptop. Hell once its installed we don't even get the option to change to the CTS mod.
Odie

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:01 pm

odonohuesp wrote:Thanks...for some reason we can't get the CTS mod to load on his laptop. Hell once its installed we don't even get the option to change to the CTS mod.
Try installing the NASCAR 1.2.0.x patch first ;)

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:36 pm

Riven wrote:
odonohuesp wrote:Thanks...for some reason we can't get the CTS mod to load on his laptop. Hell once its installed we don't even get the option to change to the CTS mod.
Damn...Riven, just call me stupid....really, call me stupid. I didn't even think about that.

Anyway...did you get that screen shot?
Last edited by odonohuesp on Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odie

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:41 pm

odonohuesp wrote:
Riven wrote:
Damn...Riven, just call me stupid....really, call me stupid. I didn't even think about that.

Anyway...did you get that screens shot?
:D

Yes, and replied to your email aswell

Chequers

Post by Chequers » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:57 pm

Wow, 7 pages of posts and nobody has had a go at me.

I know I did nudge a couple of people into the outside wall as I passed them on the inside of a corner (my apologies to those drivers) but I don't think that I caused any multi-car impact accidents. BUT I sure as hell was involved in a lot of them. I remember one unfortunate incident when I plowed into the back of Ron who was slowing for a wreck when I didn't react quickly enough - and when I did my slipper came off and I missed the brake pedal altogether. Sorry Ron :( . I retired with about 15 or so laps to go because.........I got sick of crashing.

One thing that did bug me was the difficulty I had getting out of the way when I had crashed. With so many trucks on the track I found it very difficult to find a suitable gap in the traffic to allow me to get off the track.
Then, of course, in my haste to effect the escape I would spin again.....and then I would get tagged again. Combined with the absolutely bloody useless tuning circle of these things it was a numbing experience.

Lowes is a great track (I love the challenge of getting through turn 2 at 165mph) but crashes seem to go with the territory especially when there are 40 trucks are on the track. I'm just glad that this one is behind us.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Chequers wrote:Wow, 7 pages of posts and nobody has had a go at me.
I was going to have a go at you but resisted. ;p

Chequers

Post by Chequers » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:24 pm

chronic wrote:
Chequers wrote:Wow, 7 pages of posts and nobody has had a go at me.
I was going to have a go at you but resisted. ;p
Well you had a go at lots of others so you may as well rip into me too. Be aware that I am standing in a contrite and submissive stance awaiting a severe flogging - but only if all of the other errant drivers stand in line for one too :p .

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:49 pm

Mattly wrote:
famin wrote:
Happy wrote:But interestingly enough I tried to pass you about 3 times and all 3 times you changed your line to stop me passing. 1 block is ok, but any more than that and you're just asking to be taken out, and that's what happened isnt it ;p ?
aaah so that WAS deliberate was it? I wondered about that after I tried to get a draft from you and was spun out.

hmmm... so youre saying that if a slower car holds his line and slows a faster car up then after a suitable amount of time its OK for the faster car to punt the slower one out of the way!!!

id say that was what the other guys are all complaining about IMHO.

You have to remember that getting out of the way is a consideration and a risk to the slower cars. in real NASCAR they are told to NOT move off line ever!!! its entirely up to the passing car to pass.

but dont worry I wont be back for a loooong time if ever.
Eh Famin, like to give your 2cents whenever you can. All that negativity is not good for you. I suggest you sell your computer and go fishing. ;p
did you know that fishing is the most participated in sport in the world :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:55 pm

I see that Bazzil has been caught again.. tut tut ;p

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/manawatust ... 03,00.html

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:57 pm

BAZZIL wrote: did you know that fishing is the most participated in sport in the world :)
You'd be suprised who's doing it! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:58 pm

for all those that can't b bothered clicking ;p :
A Palmerston North man has been charged with committing an indecent act in public after he was seen masturbating in his car along Foxton Beach.

The man, 27, started masturbating when he saw a 44-year-old woman walking her dog about 1km north of the Surf Club. Police have received similar complaints over the past few weeks and say the description of the vehicle and offender in those reports are close to the description of the man arrested yesterday. He will appear in Palmerston North District Court tomorrow.
Yeah soz I couldn't help myself, what can I say .. Snake Rogers and his pink dress ;p
Boom Boom !

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:59 pm

Riven wrote:I see that Bazzil has been caught again.. tut tut ;p

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/manawatust ... 03,00.html
You sure he wasn't just simmmmulating it? ;p
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:01 pm

who can tell ;p ?
Boom Boom !

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:21 pm

Sounds like they may not have nabbed the right guy in Palmy doing inappropriate things to himself in public :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:10 am

Bold wrote:As far as having too many drivers and splitting up the drivers go, I would say have 2 seperate divisions.

Division 1 for maybe the top 2/3rds of the drivers going by position in the overall standings, lap times dont mean jack.

The others will have their own rookie league with its own points and races etc, and a driver will have to do well in this league, say top 5 to qualify for the division 1 league.

There has been plenty of talk about a rookie league in the past and some attempts at running one which have never been too successful overall due to the low number of entrants. I think by the time we start the next league we will have enough people to run both the leagues happily.

Obviously you would only be allowed to run in one league at a time, but the drivers from division one would be encouraged to practice with the rookies, and give plenty of advice etc.

I would certainly not reccomend introducing and changes like this untill the next season. If we get too many drivers then the league will be closed and any one not signed up previously misses out.
Going back to this part of the discussion, I believe that we should stay along the lines of NASCAR since that is what we are trying to simulate. I think with the growing amount of drivers showing up for the rest, drivers should have to earn there way into race just like real NASCAR. If you want to race you will practice and make yourself better to ensure you get a spot in the race. I say the hell with making two division or leagues. Let's make this leagues prestige rise by making it more competitive. Everyone don't go off and get pissed this is only my opinion. I'm still grateful that you allow the outsiders (Odie and I) race in your league. Actually Odie has already earn the right in my mind and I'm still hanging on to his bumper.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:15 am

I think with the growing amount of drivers showing up for the rest, drivers should have to earn there way into race just like real NASCAR. .[/quote]

Sorry my mind got ahead of my typing skills, I meant to say "amount of drivers showing up for the race, drivers should..."

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:31 pm

Jay#224 wrote: . . . I believe that we should stay along the lines of NASCAR since that is what we are trying to simulate. I think with the growing amount of drivers showing up for the race, drivers should have to earn there way into race just like real NASCAR . . .

Um . . . then if it's to be "Real", shouldn't there also be a Feeder league ? . . . if drivers aren't fast enough to make the Qualifying cut, then they won't even GET any Online experience ? . . . and won't that be counter productive if and when they DO get faster and enter the "Real" League without knowing what it's like to race online ?

And as I've said earlier . . . "Fast Lappers" are not not necessarily "Good Racers".