Nascar CTS League - Race 9 Dover International Speedway

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:58 pm

chronic wrote:While what you say is true Bazzil there is still a thing called 'give and take'
And when people apply it, it leads to less carnage on the track.

An excellent point. This thing called 'give and take' could also be applied in the forum as well, or in fact first and then the general feeling might spread to the track as well?
Inspector

---

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm

TonyG wrote:
Prometheus wrote: And as you say, these forums are not a democracy.
Sorry prom those aren't my words, they were made by mailman on GP and inspector used them in his sig to show his disapproval of the way the forums were being run

My comment was to indicate that I would not wish this forum to become a dictatorship in a similar vein, and the comment "get positive or get lost" is insulting (I do not believe it was intended for me but as a general comment)

I do not condone any flaming or bashing, but let's work on the cause and not the effect!!
Ah ha, fair enough.

The problem is that any forum or group is always be a collection of different people and different attitudes. Without some basic rules in place, any forum will quickly sink to a schoolyard of taunts and abuse on people.

The problem is Tony, it is NOT a democracy here - because it can't be. There was no popular vote for the leader. Nor any of the other rules that exist for a democracy.

People choose to visit the forum , in the knowledge of following the rules. In a democracy, all rules are governed and designed by all people (well in theory anyway). And like a real democracy, people are punished for breaking the rules, and people choose to leave the democracy (and live in another country) or be banished.

Public forums always need to have rules, otherwise every dickhead with a keyboard is going to start petty flame wars, abuse people, etc. And people have agreed to the rules when they registered.

Hence the moderator reminding people of the rules. Because the mod does that. And if people don't agree with it, they have every right to leave. And every right to stay, as long as they stay within the rules. And this (and most fourms) is not a democracy.

What pisses me off the most is personal slagging matches, flame posts and posts that abuse people, regardless of who they are and why they get it.

This year, this season, CTS has sunk to crap name calling and abuse.

If people have a complaint - MAKE A PROTEST.

If not - SHUT UP.

It's really pretty simple.
YouTube videos

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:11 pm

BAZZIL wrote:On Oval racing you must hold your groove when passing until completely clear of the other car, there is no 'nose in front, or nose up on the inside' rule to give you right of way in nascar, that's how it is.
Um . . . so . . . effectively that means "nose up the inside" is correct then ? . . . coz if you have a "nose up the inside" on the approach to a turn, then the higher car should stay on the higher line and not try and claim the turn . . . whenever I'm in that situation of being the lower car, I'm always worried that they are gonna not QUITE know that I'm actually IN that position.

In an earlier version of Nascar Racing, there was a patch which adjusted your mirror into 3 "panes" . . . to make it easeir to see when a car was actually beside you . . . has anyone heard of something for 2003 ? . . . and yes, I know that you can LOOK LEFT or LOOK RIGHT . . . but is anyone THAT cool, calm and collected that they can actually DO that in the heat of racing ? :eek:

The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes, drivers give "just enough" room to let someone pass . . . that's fine when you are practicing with the AI . . . but when you are racing real people (who are not as reliable as the AI) and allowing for lag and warp issues over the net, you really have to be OVERLY generous with the space you give people.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:40 pm

All I can say is Ron had a go at me on ventrillo and that set me off and I brought it to the forum which is probably not the best thing to do.

When I look at the incident I still see that Ron could have prevented what happened by 'giving' me the position, I was expecting him to yeild because Ron actually understands the 'give and take' game very well and normally lets through faster/leading drivers at the first opportunity be it oval or road racing.

Now he didn't 'have to' do this and on this occasion he didn't and I slid up into him partly due to worn tires.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:48 pm

rob_c57 wrote:I just had a look at the Race Analysis.

I was surprised that I came 10th . . . I thought I was 11th. _b (
That would be because I slipped from 9th to 11th on the last lap ;(

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:08 pm

chronic wrote:All I can say is Ron had a go at me on ventrillo and that set me off and I brought it to the forum which is probably not the best thing to do.

When I look at the incident I still see that Ron could have prevented what happened by 'giving' me the position, I was expecting him to yeild because Ron actually understands the 'give and take' game very well and normally lets through faster/leading drivers at the first opportunity be it oval or road racing.

Now he didn't 'have to' do this and on this occasion he didn't and I slid up into him partly due to worn tires.
You also could have (and IMHO should have) prevented it by keep your line on the low side. If you cant keep the car on the bottom, then dont go making passes there.

wide load

Post by wide load » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:17 pm

Out of all the coments made on this thread about last nights race, Riven sums it up best in his one line. (If you cant keep the car on the bottom, then dont go making passes there).
If you give someone room on the inside it is there job to pass there and stay on the inside line untill the pass is complete.
I may have finished last but still had a enjoyable race.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:21 pm

Well it was a case of the gap was there so i went inside, hadn't really tested my tires holding the inside until that point since my recent pit.

They didnt hold as well as I was expecting so I couldn't stay as low as I wanted but at the same time I thought I was past.

Anyway I can't be bothered arguing my point beyond this so I'll lets the protest commitee decide. ;p

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:38 pm

I never did understand peoples problems with the moderation on gameplanet. In the sim forum it was fairly minimal compared to many forums I've read and still currently read. Moderators make judgement calls for the good of the whole. It usually upsets a few people but overall it keeps things on-topic and crap free.

Infact the forums I end up reading are usually the more heavily moderated ones because they stop this kind of rubbish where the posts rapidly deteriorate into a stream of posts between people which are completely irrelevant childish insults with both sides trying to get the last word in.

The way things have been heading I'm likely to start ignoring the post race comments and muting Vent. during the race. There is a big difference between the friendly jokes about bins and duds and dodgey blue cars and the kind of crap that's been in the last few weeks post race comments.

Inspector wouldn't need to make a post like he has if people would act there age. If anyone is actually 12 years old then act like a grown-up.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

UnbounD
Bloody SimTV!

Post by UnbounD » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:54 pm

This is getting more than a little confusing.

So what your effectivly sayin' is that If im the car passing its up to me to complete the pass. No problem. But if I come down or go up during the pass and knock someone else off they can protest. No problem.

If I am passing someone and they come down on me, Im the one effecting the pass so Its my problem>??????? ? ? ? ? ?

I dont think so.

Some ppl are dam unpassable, everytime you try to go up the inside, the come down. Weather they consistantly cant hold a line or they are trying to keep you behind is not always easy to detect. You get part way up and they weave on you. Also, Passing some of the slower drivers on the outside at some of these tracks...... after following them for a couple of laps is not an option...... its suicide. You end up frustrated and impatient.

I "think" I conduct myself in a pretty fair manner on the track (I could be wrong as its all fm my point of view), but there are a few ppl that I will no longer move over for, for any reason, and some I will effect passes on with only a "passing" regard for their race......

Sad but True :(

95% of you I will follow, pass, let through and generally race with quite happily. It dont always go perfectly, but theres no malice in it. The more I get to know some of your driving, the more trust I have in you. This means I can race with you instead of just exist in 3d space along side.

More small tracks I say, lets do Bristol..... for points.

Good on ya Eage for realizing you where not anywhere near the zone and parking it. It takes some guts to hang up your driving booty's for the night.

Mikool, you improve all the time and thanks for being the Butt of 905 of our jokes :)

Snake, there was no way in hell I was going to tell you the state of my car. I knew my tires where shot and I would have to yeild as soon as you came near me. But I was not going to tell you so as I hoping the extra pressure for a few laps would put some stress on you and your car. Even after that we managed to be side by side quite happily for quite a while there. You had that outside line sorted.

Anyone wanting a red n white skin for next season should give me a yell and I will put it too the rest of the "team" ;p

Great league, Great fun.

p.s.

Getting rather anoyed with you Cronik.

WHY

Why must you persist in depriving us of the sound of your voice on Ventrillo. There is alway more room for more entertainment ;)
"Run Yasmine Run"

Wood

Post by Wood » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:11 pm

When it comes to lapped cars I expect:

You to remain in control at all times.

You to yield if I have a nose up the inside.

I would like:

You to yield if I have a run off the corner even though I might not get an overlap before turn in.

You to move over and take the high line, generally get out of the way.

Just like anything else, driving through traffic is a skill, some people don't want move aside, they don't have to, It's your job to get past them cleanly. If some one is holding you up but you don't have the speed to manouver yourself into a legit passing position, tough cookies, look at short pitting or something.
If you drive expecting others to get out of the way you will get dinged.

Most of us have been racing together for a year or more, this experiance is a great asset in traffic as there is an awareness of how everyone drives and reacts etc. There are a lot of new drivers this season so dings are more likely to happen.

I'm sure Flyboy can relate, a few weaks ago at the Bullrun round of the TPTCC league flyboy was infront of me during the race, I had never raced against Flyboy ever on a roadcourse so I didn't know what to expect, He braked quite a bit earlier than I had guessed, so I went storming up the inside from about 5 lengths back and almost caused a crash that could have taken us both out of the race. Lesson learned - move on.

No one should be forced to move aside, lapped traffic is half the fun in this league. :)
Brake on the straight before it's too late.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Wood wrote:When it comes to lapped cars I expect:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:21 pm

chronic wrote:
Still doesnt give you the right to turn up on them. He has yeilded the low line, not the whole damn track.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:27 pm

It's not about a right to turn up on them, my tires were more saggy than I had anticipated so I drifted up a bit, Ron was also in my blindspot coming off the turn.

Wood

Post by Wood » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:35 pm

chronic wrote:
*sigh*

In a lap down situation, I expect that if I get a run down the inside get an overlap before the braking point then you take the highline rather than turning across my line forcing me to back off, or even causing a ding.

When racing for position I would back off because I don't feel Im far enough up the inside to complete a contested pass safely.

If I can figure out what folder my screeshot has been saved to i'll post it...
Last edited by Wood on Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:35 pm

chronic wrote:It's not about a right to turn up on them, my tires were more saggy than I had anticipated so I drifted up a bit, Ron was also in my blindspot coming off the turn.
Then why the hell did you blame Ron for the incident O_o

M

Post by M » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:37 pm

OK, so that clears that one up. You hit Ron. You're sorry. End of story.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:38 pm

Riven wrote:Then why the hell did you blame Ron for the incident O_o
I didn't, I called it a 50/50.

Have you viewed a replay so you have some idea about what you are talking about?

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:44 pm

Wood wrote:If I can figure out what folder my screeshot has been saved to i'll post it...
LOL . . . your screenshots will be in your root Nascar folder . . .

As in C:\Papyrus\Nascar Racing 2003 Season (or wherever you installed it onto). ;)

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:48 pm

chronic wrote:my tires were more saggy than I had anticipated so I drifted up a bit, Ron was also in my blindspot coming off the turn.
So, you didn't have full control of your car. You made a bad call and pushed too hard out of the corner rather than backing off to hold low till you were sure you were clear.

If you loose sight of a car that's above you as your comming past and it doesn't appear in your rear view mirror the only place it can be is above you.

Just admit liability damn it chronic so we can talk about something else :p

Ignoring this particular incident this is a ponit that really needs to be understood by everyone. If anyone takes the inside line in a corner to make a pass they have NO RIGHT and are FULLY in the WRONG if they drift up mid-corner or exiting the corner into the car on the high line. Likewise the car on the high line is at fault if they drift down off the high line into the low car.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:59 pm

I'm probably at fault for drifting high yes.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:35 pm

chronic wrote:I'm probably at fault for drifting high yes.
_b
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:37 pm

chronic wrote:I'm probably at fault for drifting high yes.
What do you mean "proberly" if you drifted high, it is your fault. With Ron having the high line coming out of the turn, you should have backed off, not Ron.

I just cant see why you think Ron should have slowed down.

Either way, then you put your protest in, I'll have a good look at it then, and I WILL make a FAIR judgement on the crash.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Wood

Post by Wood » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:49 pm

rob_c57 wrote:
Wood wrote:If I can figure out what folder my screeshot has been saved to i'll post it...
LOL . . . your screenshots will be in your root Nascar folder . . .

As in C:\Papyrus\Nascar Racing 2003 Season (or wherever you installed it onto). ;)
Indeed :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:52 pm

Flyboy69 wrote: I just cant see why you think Ron should have slowed down.
Because he often does in that situation, anyway it's not the incident itself, it was the bagging I took on Ventrillo afterward that I thought was unnessesary - accusations of intentionally wrecking etc...