GTR League Startup

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
diseased

Post by diseased » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 pm

WTH is DuD?
"It is what it is."

diseased

Post by diseased » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:21 pm

Bazzil... if you know how to make standalones, I'd be more than happy to do the skins, wrap em up in .dds format and send them to you for standalone-ing. Never have gotten the hang of that.
We'd also need the drivers' skin and helmet, but that shouldn't be an issue. The only really difficult part is doing the LOD skin since they've got it set up completely different than the way the skin templates are laid out.
"It is what it is."

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:21 pm

Well this SlamTV driver is pleased to announce that his copy of GTR arrived today, that's just 1 day after ordering from VR Concepts _b

Yee har !
YouTube videos

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:28 pm

DuD = dud team (dud team racing) I forgot the team after it :)

Yah you could send me the required files and I could make the cars standalone.
One anoying part is you need to go into the game and take a screenshot of your car from each angle (sides / back / front / top) for the LOD

Other than that she's not too difficult to rename the files.

Damage On ?
I dare say if damage is on there are going to be several people in every race not getting round the first corner, with 20+ drivers we ARE going to get lag on the start line and I'd like to be able to race and get better racing with other drivers, rather than get my car minced up because a car magicaly appeared infront of me and ripped my wheels off.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

diseased

Post by diseased » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Baz... actually, for the team icon images, I can do a render of it instead. Not only is it less of a hassle (open photoshop, tab into GTR, position car JUUUUST so, hit alt+printscreen, tab out into photoshop, new document, paste, etc etc etc ad nauseam) I just do the skin, save it, open up Max, it tracks the changes I've made to the .psd file, and I can have the poses/views already setup so there's no variation. Save the render, crop it in PS and boom ,you're done.

Damage off=1, personally.
"It is what it is."

famin

Post by famin » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:28 pm

Do we really HAVE to do the Teams thing again for this initial GTR?

Im not convinced it helps the spirit of good competition at all! In fact I suspect the opposite.

I suggest you just do your own cars it you dont want to use the game skins and get on with the racing!
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:41 pm

BAZZIL wrote: Damage On ?
I dare say if damage is on there are going to be several people in every race not getting round the first corner, with 20+ drivers we ARE going to get lag on the start line and I'd like to be able to race and get better racing with other drivers, rather than get my car minced up because a car magicaly appeared infront of me and ripped my wheels off.

I agree with the first corning remarks, but it does concern me that for the rest of the race people can push the limit with no real concequences. People like myself who are not fast drivers try to drive a steady race and rely on not crashing to keep myself in the hunt for say a top ten finish. I will lose interest very quickly with people screaming past me, driving outside their real capabilities, crashing, then screaming past me again and crashing some more. You know that it will be one of these people who hit you and ruin your whole stratagy of a steady race to gain positions.

I too can turn the aids right up and go as fast I can, safe in the knowledge that if I push too hard I'll probably just bounce off the wall and end up back on the track, aerodynamics intact ready for another "Need for Speed" attack.......

I think that Ron's start line rules worked in TPTCC and could be adapted to fit GTR to try and resolve the first corner incidents therefore allowing damage to be a viable option? I certainly would not advocate a first lap no passing rule, but maybe a first corner rule is a possibility?
Inspector

---

Murphy's Law

Post by Murphy's Law » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:52 pm

I agree there should be damage on.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:09 pm

Inspector wrote:If we are making our own cars then there is not an issue, I'm sure the DuD's will have the nicest looking cars as always (unlike the Ponsters and the exceedingly ugly SlamTV cars), but if we are not then there will not be enough cars to be able to reserve cars. There will have to be double ups?
Count your blessing no Monsters are participating in this league :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

diseased

Post by diseased » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:27 pm

Personally I'm for damage off, but for the same reasons Inspector is against it. I frequently find myself having worked my ass off to get up to Pwhatever, only to brake a tad hard or try to get out of someone's way and BOOM, Hello wall.
It would really suck something large and hairy to've gone through the entire practise session, Q's etc only to wipe out on lap 3.
However, as I've said before, whatever the majority wants is fine by me.
"It is what it is."

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:57 pm

We had a meeting last night, as mentioned in this thread yesterday and discussed a few things. Standby for a full write up of some rules etc over the weekend. The decision last night was to go with Damage on. We don't want people to be able to get away with driving as Inspector has mentioned, and the other point is that there are two races each night, so if you get ripped in the first race, you atleast have another chance.

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:18 pm

I hope there are no shit fights when someone doing well is forced off the track due to no fault of their own, crashes into a wall either trying to avoid someone else or getting knocked at the start.
I agree that it would be advantageous to someone who hit a wall etc and get back onto the track and carry on.
But think of the time lost.
The car behind him would have gained on him and in fact pass him if he was close enough. The car he was trying to catch would have increased his lead etc.
These last few nights that I have been racing on the server, the starts and first corner antics have been very minimal - in fact most have been quite clean.
I say have no damage and lets all enjoy the racing.

Growler.

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:36 pm

I think we should have no damage also, if you pop your wheel off on the first lap, or ever, thats your whole race popped.
Aren't we supposed to be encouraging close racing ?

With the possibility of dings, racing won't be as close, people will be too careful, and it's much better when you get taken out knowing that you can catch back up because your car is still as good as the leaders o_O
:>

diseased

Post by diseased » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:10 pm

Growler wrote:I hope there are no shit fights when someone doing well is forced off the track due to no fault of their own, crashes into a wall either trying to avoid someone else or getting knocked at the start.
Or Car A goes off track, hit a wall, rebounds and knocks out car B. This will happen with damage on or off, but with it off, you don't have two cars out with one of them probably being quite irritated.
Growler wrote:These last few nights that I have been racing on the server, the starts and first corner antics have been very minimal - in fact most have been quite clean.
I agree completely. I have yet to see, over the 4 or 5 nights I've been on the server, any evidence of people deliberately shunting someone or driving like an ass. In fact, you've been a great bunch to drive and race with. The amount of contact has been minimal and usually due to cold tires, and I've seen some really well-executed passes.
"It is what it is."

RedValiant

Post by RedValiant » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Is there any way to only allow low traction and ABS? I reckon the cars are too forgiving with these set to high - Donington feels too fast for instance. I think that traction off or at least low will provide fairer racing as skill out of cnrs will be the telling factor. And I'm for damage on too - just like the trans am league.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:03 pm

That's exactly right diseased, noone tries to ding their cars at the moment, noone knocks anyone off the road on purpose with the exception of Biteme and Snake Rogers.

All damage on is going to do is to piss off people that just want to get some racing in but can't because a warp lag on the stat blew their car apart.

It's dodgy netcode and you think putting damage on is going to solve the collisions ? o_O
Boom Boom !

Beetle

Post by Beetle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:17 pm

I know it is a late entry, but I'll be keen also.

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:29 pm

BAZZIL wrote:That's exactly right diseased, noone tries to ding their cars at the moment, noone knocks anyone off the road on purpose with the exception of Biteme and Snake Rogers.
O_O :confused: O_o D: :dazed: :I
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

Biteme

Post by Biteme » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:36 pm

Bazzill makes his last scathing remark before being mysteriously run over. ;p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why does KSR suck at FPS?

MadMarty13

re

Post by MadMarty13 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:28 am

LMAO!!! classic!
NASCAR2003SEASON-VRCONCEPTS LEAGUE #13
INSPIRE NET LEAGUE Monsters inc #113
STOCKCAR HEAT #13 & HawkesBay Hawkeyes Team captain #13
R-Factor-GTR-GTL-GPL

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:42 am

D:
Boom Boom !

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:38 am

Aww..no way to treat a dumb defenseless animal, not too good for the fox either :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

famin

Post by famin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:58 am

I would also vote for damage ON

Although not entirely for the reasons raised by people worried about their slow and sure racing.
That is something to consider but my reason is that with damage on drivers cannot over drive their cars and get away with it. No damage means ignoring brake duct or radiator openings as I assume the engine wont pop, so you can bloody drive it as hard as you like arcade style and get away with it!!

I like to see (like in RL) a driver self punished for punishing his own car!

and if that then applies to me then so be it... I wouldve deserved it!

btw... am I posting into a black hole or something? Can we have the other NGT cars please? (vertigo, mosler, morgan !!!)
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

GOJACK

Damage

Post by GOJACK » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:14 am

Is it possible to have damage off in the first race and on in the second. That way if you do get damaged in the second race you can go off and do somehting else.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:22 am

famin wrote:
btw... am I posting into a black hole or something? Can we have the other NGT cars please? (vertigo, mosler, morgan !!!)
Famin , we dont just sit here looking at the forum every min just to see your post and quickly reply, There is a thing called "none computer time" plus i have had the flu hence my lack of forum time.

No damage will be on. If it works out bad it will be changed.

Will see about putting other NGT cars in if its possible

"As bold said" Unbound Bold and Eagle32 and myself are putting up points and stuff over the weekend

Thanks to Unbound Bold and Eagle32 for putting up there hands to help sort out the Leauge and showing a keen interest in GTR.