GTR SEASON 1 - RACE 2 - Magny-Cours

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
famin

Post by famin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:57 am

congratulations on winning both races Happy.
Last edited by famin on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

diseased

Post by diseased » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:25 am

man, race #2 was extremely frustrating.
From my perspective, I finished 17th, but not only am I not sure of that, I don't have anything to back it up as I've turned off replays. I started with the rest of you, but I had no lap timer, no clock, no nothing, only Position # changed and that was so damned random I wouldn't have been surprised had it said I was in 1st and last at the same time.
It also seemed to me that we had a LOT more contact and erratic driving going on than usual, in race 1 and race 2. Hell, only reason I finished 13th in R1 was from hanging back deliberately to avoid the accidents. Obviously I'd prefer to gain position through skill rather than attrition but I'll take whatever I can get.
"It is what it is."

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:53 am

I had the same problem.
I started in the same grid position as BiteMe for the second race.
After the first lap I was 4th or 5th (Due to the accident on the hairpin)
During the whole race I was overtaken, or gained a postion back about 3 times maximum. My position showed me as 5th, then 18th, then 9th then 16th during two laps.
It also didn't tell me that the race had finished.

Growler.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:46 am

The ding with Famin and Hippy is a dodgy one, but I think it comes down to Famin not realising that we are racing online and not on a real race track.

In real racing hippy would probably have hit the brakes to avoid the incident as famin cut him off, but if you are on a straight piece of track and a car is up on one side of you, no matter how far, you DO NOT cut them off because quite likely you will end up bending your car, As famin found out ;)

It's when you get to the corner that track position is decided, and famin would have had that so there was eally no need to chop a car off like that, all you did famin was ruin your race ;p
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:01 pm

It looks quite similar to the Ambrose Skaife incident a couple of weeks ago in the V8's to me, and nearly everyone blamed that on Ambrose for not backing off...

Its all dodge in my opinion, both of you aren't 100% in the right.

From the rules:
A passing maneuver is deemed to have begun when 2 Cars overlap each other by approximately 50% or more. It is the passing cars responsibility to make the pass cleanly and without contact. The car being passed must give a much room as is realistic, as it is their best interests. A driver may defend his/her position by moving off their line in the straights, but in one direction only and once committed to an alternative line, must remain there.
There was less than 50% there, and Famin moved left to protect his line.

odonohuesp

Post by odonohuesp » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:42 pm

Sounds like the lap recording is still an issue. That is something that really needs to be figured out.
Odie

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:43 pm

It is a particularly interesting situation isnt it. >8D.
:>

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:15 pm

Happy, given that the next corner is a right left chicane that pass was never gonna happen on that piece of track. So why even stick your nose in there when the racing line means he's gonna drift to the left?

It's very tempting to have a sniff there but the next corner's line means you need a major speed differential to make a pass before you arrive which is unlikely. You're also liable to severely compromise your line into the next chicane, and let him get away and lose your best chance in the last couple of corners which are much better suited to passing.

Couple that with Famin's in-famin-ous (:))"you have to make the pass stick" style and you probably should have picked your moment elsewhere on the track. Still he could and should have maybe left you a little more "racing room".

It would be interesting to see a little more of the respective trajectories mid corner as it's hard to judge how close those shots are to the chicane.

Still you got away with it even if it could easily have gone the other way.

Just my 5c.

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:18 pm

odonohuesp wrote:Sounds like the lap recording is still an issue. That is something that really needs to be figured out.
Never fear - Simbim in their drive to engage the community like never before, remain totally and utterly silent on the major issues that are making running leagues rather haphazard.

It's easier to dangle a few GTL screenies than address the community.

Cynical mode off.

Good to see you guys are still having some great racing despite the "niggles".

famin

Post by famin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:26 pm

I wasnt intending posting anything else as I already am a 'nazi' apparently but...

I wasnt aware Happy was beside me on the left (truthfully). I knew he was behind me of course and hassling to pass (naturally) but at that point on the circuit there is a left hand bend in the 'straight' and I was moving naturally over to the left to apex it and keep left to maximise the entry to the next chicane. Note its NOT a straight piece of road!!!

It came as a complete surprise to me when I copped the tap and spun off. Borne out by my expostulation on ventrillo at the time!

Happy was certainly the faster driver but I am entitled to make it VERY hard for him when we are duelling for the lead I think.

I would have expected him to back off and criss cross to the right for a lunge into the chicane. I wouldnt have been able to stop that as it wouldve been a 2nd movement so we both wouldve survived. As it was a good duel was nipped in the bud and The resulting damage probably helped my 2 or 3 more spins that dropped me to 5th.

Still, shite happens... call it a racing incident... I just hope it doesnt happen again, ... we do seem to be drawn together for these incidents!!!

oh and btw bazz, I DO realise its online and not real (duh..) getting too close to another car is asking for a wee bit of lag isnt it? didnt X20 post some guidelines for that a while ago... praps we all should read them again for GTR now?
Last edited by famin on Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Throttle depressed, driver very happy

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:19 pm

odonohuesp wrote:Sounds like the lap recording is still an issue. That is something that really needs to be figured out.
Would doing a formation lap be a possible temporary fix. I know it'd be boring, and risky, to expect everyone to drive slowly around the track, but its the only thing I can think of. I'll be surprised if there are anymore patches from simbin.

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:20 pm

Agent X20 wrote:Just my 5c.
Isnt inflation a bitch. :D

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:57 pm

That was some cool racing last night apart from my Indian mates coming on ven and breaking my concentration when having some very good clean racing with Bazzil.
I really must learn how to do starts as I lost about ten positions in the second race.
Pity about all the technical glitches tho

whats the next track :)
Wah Wah Wah

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:45 pm

Well I see it as more of a racing incident than completely Famins fault, but I don't see it as my fault at all.

I don't know how you didn't know I was there, I should have been in your rear view mirror :o ?

No it isn't a straight piece of road, but it might as well be.
The reason I didn't back off was because it had been so hard to pass Famin all race and I wanted to start getting more aggressive to get past. Passing at the next chicane is not easy since if you get your line wrong she's pop pop into the sand or the bollards.

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:49 pm

Happy said bollards bernard, you remember those ;p
Wah Wah Wah

RedValiant

Post by RedValiant » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:02 pm

Maybe if you stopped whining and just accepted your two wins this league might have a chance of some Not-Nascar-Fairplay about it.
You are clearly in the wrong here and you profited from the contact, yet you are playing victim?
Being aggressive, as you say is one thing, but charging up the wrong side means contact was inevitable if you persisted with the pass.
I hope next week is clean all round and passes are more considered.

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Well no one is whinging , we are just having a discussion about it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I suggest you simmer down >8p

juliant

Post by juliant » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:11 pm

Well I'm just gutted that I got disconnected during qualifying in the second race and missed it altogether - not I think an issue with GTR just my own connection since installing an audigy 2 card - I think it may be right now though....
Does anyone know if an ethernet controller is needed with a PCI (DSE) ADSL card - XP gives me the question mark on it in Device manager, but if anything things are more stable without it...wondering if that was causing a conflict.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:43 am

Anyone that was near Diseased or Growler in race 2 know where exactly they were? Or have a replay that shows them? I can't really go around saying "well he was roughly there abouts that'll do" and put people in any old position. :p

I don't have a replay from race 2 because my computer crashed as I was looking at the points at the end of the race. :ffs:
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:44 am

Anyone that was near Diseased or Growler in race 2 know where exactly they were? Or have a replay that shows them? I can't really go around saying "well he was roughly there abouts that'll do" and put people in any old position. :p

I don't have a replay from race 2 because my computer crashed as I was looking at the points at the end of the race. :ffs:

Oh and I can't be bothered updating the previous points post but I've added you to the list of equal last place points getters for race 2 Julian.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Growler

Post by Growler » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:34 am

I can have a look tonight when I get home.
If I have it I can pass it on to you.
If I don't, there are no drama's - I'm in this for the fun and trying not to take this all too seriously. After all...it's only a game - there's no big prize at the end of it.

Growler.

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:05 pm

I have a replay of race 2, how big is your email box eagle ?

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:24 pm

So with everyone joining with ISDN rates, did anyone notice any warping or pop-in-outs etc?

It certainly helped to reduce the server traffic thats for sure.. seemed to peak at about 2.8mbit/s instead of the 4.8mbit/s last time.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:20 pm

It ran well for me (wish i could say the some for my driving).

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:06 pm

Inspector and I were both on his connection and on ISDN and we didn't notice any lag at all
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.