GTR SEASON 1 - RACE 7 Anderstorp

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
famin

Post by famin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:52 pm

I tell ya what, that race felt very very 'funny' to me.

I know I apparently had lag problems early on which I think I corrected by a reboot, removal of an adobe start up app and canning ventrilo, but the feel of the car was totally different from offline.

Im not whinging about the results, just interested if anyone else notices this.

as you can see in GTRank I can and was doing 1:31's offline quite comfortably but online I really struggled to break into the 32's and the setup felt very very different. I checked and reloaded it at least twice so it was the same setup but boy it was wierd.

I was having trouble not spinning it out of certain corners that offline were perfectly stable. Strange!

Im thinking at the moment that it was a subtle effect of lag whereby I wasnt getting the visual responses I get offline. Dunno. Obviously the top three didnt have the problem, did they have great pings?

I didnt check my ping after the reboot etc so dont know what it was but its just interesting.

I know that gojack has the same problem.

still que sera sera. Like schumi I can see this league has escaped me. A possible premature congrats to Happy.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:27 pm

Last week was the first time I spent any length of time driving offline, I usually practise on the server.

That said I can't say I noticed any difference between driving online and offline on Anderstorp.

The only time I've seen any difference at all was when I hosted a game and forgot to allow TC/ABS. That cost me 2s a lap and a lot of spins for 10 laps before we noticed.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

RedValiant

Post by RedValiant » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:40 pm

Just out of interest, what aids if any is everyone running.
I have low abs on all others off.

I find maual clutch much more responsive (until you stall it in a spin) and prefer the non-traction control throttle even as I veer off onto the grass on cold tyres :Puke:

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:57 pm

Low ABS and TC. Auto-clutch On.

I could probably turn the TC off as it doesn't kick in very often but I'd rather not spin the odd time I'm too heavy on the gas.
- Death to Smoochy

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 pm

To reinterate/agree with Famin, I too noticed the feel of the car and/or controls just didn't feel the same as in offline. I was slow yes but much slower on Tuesday than I was offline. It is hard to explain how it felt, just slightly disconnected from the car, maybe lag in inputs to action dunno, also the FF felt stronger, I didn't change any settings that I'm aware off.

Case in piont, the final left hander before home straight, it felt like doing a three point turn or going round a squared off corner not a bend, if that makes any sense.

I played a number of times online prior to the league and it never felt that bad, weird...anyway I will go thru the setup,control config etc etc and experiment..I didn't take note of ping etc so not sure if connectivity is all or part of it.

Besides all that..it was fun racing with some ppl down the field and turning left and right. :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Happy
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:50 pm

Mine is apples

Do you lot know what frames you are getting in the game when you are apparenlty having these dud lap times compared to offline when you get good lap times?
:>

famin

Post by famin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:00 am

Happy wrote:Mine is apples

Do you lot know what frames you are getting in the game when you are apparenlty having these dud lap times compared to offline when you get good lap times?
no, sorry. I will take note of that at Oscher tho for sure (X fingers it doesnt happen again)

1 thing I did find that 'may' have contributed was a 2nd player file in my player folder. I did try a new set of FF settings that evening from the RSC forum (zevious' I think) and obviously saved the old set first but it was a .plr file. There have been some threads saying you must NOT have more than 1 plr file in your folder.
I moved the new one out (settings didnt help at all) last night and online (admittedly all alone) it felt fine again....

I had a 78 ping last night!

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:39 am

famin wrote:
Happy wrote:Mine is apples

no, sorry. I will take note of that at Oscher tho for sure (X fingers it doesnt happen again)

1 thing I did find that 'may' have contributed was a 2nd player file in my player folder. I did try a new set of FF settings that evening from the RSC forum (zevious' I think) and obviously saved the old set first but it was a .plr file. There have been some threads saying you must NOT have more than 1 plr file in your folder.
I moved the new one out (settings didnt help at all) last night and online (admittedly all alone) it felt fine again....

I had a 78 ping last night!
Didn't know about the possible issue with multiple .plr, I created a new player profile awhile back...mmmmm..plus I also didn't account for FPS, I will investigate and compare notes with you Brett.

TRied tinkering with various controller and FFS settings as per RSC before made things worse not better. Maybe as simple as I have a strange controller config for NR2003 that I'm used to and now have to find an alternative one for GTR that works for me, they are different profiles in Wingman but based Device settings the same like Spring effect disabled etc.. so will have to experiement more.

Cheers for the ideas guys to investigate _b _b _b
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:12 pm

FYI my framerate offline averages about 70-80 fps with a 16 car field and full detail. Online I get progressively lower fps the more drivers are on the track and that's after I've bumped my details down to medium or even low.

With only a couple of people on the track my framerate goes down to about 45-50. With 20 players it's at about 30-35. It's track dependant as well. I have to drop my detail settings right down at Brno because the framerate gets down to about 20 on the grid. Where as Anderstorp was fine.

It doesn't however really effect my race pace so I'm guessing the profile thing is more likely.

Interesting point about the player files. I'll make sure I don't make any copies in the folder. :)
- Death to Smoochy