New here? Say Hi and introduce yourself.
colmacnz

Post by colmacnz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:30 am

Hi from Colmacnz, I am new to sim racing and just in the process of upgrading to a decent simulator. I have a new PC being built with a Gigabyte GV-N960OC-4GD GTX960 4G OC Video card, AMD FX 6300 CPU and 8GB ram. I am planning on getting 3 x 27" ACER K272HL moniters. I have an old Logitech Wheel and pedals that will do for now. I am looking for a seat and am split between an office style gaming chair that will make the PC more usable for other projects or going full out for some sort of playseat setup. Any advise on this would be helpful. Is there a gear for sale section? I have so far only been using iracing, their Nurburgring track and McLaren MP4 - 12CGT3 are what have got me hooked. I have yet to try rfactor, how does it compare to iracing?
Cheers
Colin

Riftcreator

Re: New member

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Hey Colin,

iRacing and rFactor are very different games. And hold a different place in the sim racing world.
Depending on what you want from a sim will decide which is best for you.

We use rFactor as we can mod it to suit, it's brilliant for running leagues and the sheer amount of free content is great.
However, we will be moving to another sim at some point, depending on a few factors, and of course cost.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:04 am

iRacing has good racing, because there are a bazillion people, so you're likely to have close races with people at your skill level (useful if, like me, you're not very fast). iRacing is also annoying because you quickly learn that you have to keep spending money on cars and tracks if you actually want to get out of rookie mode.

rFactor is dated, but has a huge variety of content, and is required you want fun racing with the guys on this site on a Tuesday night. Fun is good.

Move fast and sign up for the league that is about to start. You won't need your shiny new computer. One of the huge advantages about rFactor is that it will run on anything.

colmacnz

Post by colmacnz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:48 am

Hi again, thanks for the replies. I have my sim rig up and rolling so that part is good. I have downloaded and payed for rfactor 1 but cant figure out how to load the cars and tracks. I paid for the pro package for a year but that keeps telling me it has an error. Can some one point me towards instructions on how to manually download and install tracks and cars please. I did find one user manual online but that was no help at all. At this stage iRacing is looking way more user friendly, however rFactor has some great old cars. I'd really like to give Bathurst in a GTHO a try.
Cheers
Colin

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Are you sure you bought rFactor 1 and not rFactor 2? AFAIK rFactor doesn't have it's yearly license model anymore. Where did you buy it from?

colmacnz

Post by colmacnz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi, it is version 1.265 and everything has been purchased online thru RFC. I am making slow progress but it just seems way too complicated, there must be an easy way. I have emailed rFactor support but no reply yet. Reading the RFC forum the download client seems to be a waste of time and money. Any helpful links appreciated.
Cheers
Colin

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:31 pm

I'm a little bit confused. By RFC do you mean rFactorCentral? rFactorCentral is a mod hosting site for rFactor content, not actually related to ISI (The developers of rFactor) itself. I think you may have accidentally paid for a pro membership at this modding place.

rFactor itself can be purchased from ISI at rFactor.net, or on Steam. Mod installations are then usually drag n' drop affairs.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:42 am

...also I have some rFactor 1 licences if you need one.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:46 am

Maybe this page will help you with getting things setup:
http://www.kiwisimracing.net.nz/forum/v ... 25#p300364

fieldzy

Post by fieldzy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi all,
I'm the creator of cotf 2015. It is great to see your club enjoying the mod. I will try and get a couple of races with you guys through out the year.
I have released a rf2 version now which you can download from http://www.hardcoreonlinegaming.com/index.php/en/
:)

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 am

Hey fieldzy _b
It's been a lot of fun so far, and has provided lots of close racing.

Cheers for the rF2 link too, will have to have a look at it sometime.

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:09 pm

It will be interesting to compare vs rfactor 1.

Flying_Kiwi

Post by Flying_Kiwi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi, just signed up today. Am really keen to get into league racing, I currently own Assetto Corsa, GTR 2, Game Stock Car Extreme and have an account with iracing. Does anyone race on GSCE?